Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

saddle sore

Options
  • 24-07-2018 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

I find on the bike my arse gets very sore
    ,makes the journey uncomfortable ..i was looking at maybe gel saddles or would i be better off looking at replacing saddle or would i need better padded shorts ..the ones i have now are from aldi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Good quality shorts are a must tbh. I'd start there if I were you. Have you been cycling long?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Before you do anything drastic, try a tub of Chamois cream.

Aldi/Lidl gear I find is OK up to about 30km and fails pretty quickly for comfort after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

If you already have padded shorts then I’d check your saddle height/position before anything else.

Is your saddle at the correct height?
    Is your saddle level?
    Is your saddle too far forward/bac

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one first check is the lemond seat height guideline - measure your inside leg, and set your saddle at 0.883x this height above the bottom bracket.
    if you're quite a distance off this height, don't set it to the suggested height straight away, raise or lower it incrementally.

you're more likely (i think) to have saddle soreness if the saddle is too high, but it's more common that the saddle is set too low.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,976 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Better shorts are good option, BUT

if you have been out of the saddle for some time and only getting back into it for a week or 2 you will get this.

more time in the saddle and the buttock will get used it fairly quickly.

Like playing the guitar and hardening your fingers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

What actual saddle is on your bike? Gel saddles are fine for short distances and leisure bikes but you’d find they’re even more uncomfortable than a thin lightly padded saddle on longer spins.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

i just have the saddle i got with the bike ..id say it just cheap generic one ..
    The bike has been measured up for me so that shouldnt be a problem ..can you get extra padded saddles

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

im back cycle 2 weeks now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Take your time, harden up before you think about padded saddles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Try standing out of the saddle for a few seconds every 20 minutes or so.
    And give yourself another 2 weeks or so and you will be grand.
    Unless it's actually a saddle sore, which is a skin infection and not just pain because you're body is still adjusting to taking up cycling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Apply witch hazel in the area when not cycling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Because it's easier to apply it in the area when not cycling than it is to apply it while cycling.

Advertisement