Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need to Upgrade?

Options
  • 24-07-2018 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Have an old 581 Remington for 25 years that I use for pidgeons and rabbits and up to about 3 months ago has been in the gun locker more than it should have been. A neighbours kid got a air rifle and after a couple of shoots with them I found my mojo again. My Reminington is still good over 50-70 yards with an old bushmaster scope I have on it.
    I was toying around with the idea of subbing to get a more current model and or getting an air rifle as well? Budget is not really my primary consideration. I'd prefer to buy new.
    Q Has the engineering improved that much that I'd notice a big difference reading the threads here it all seems to be the optics these days?
    Any/all recs appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

My .22 Brno is over 40+ years old and still driving tacks, my latest acquisition was made in 1959/60's and still working fine. My O/U is early 80's and is tight and true... plenty of lads still shooting guns pushing a centry or more.

If you fancy a change then knock your self out, if there were annoying things about the gun that got your goat then move on, but if it's a beloved but seldom used keepsake it will most likely be shooting long after you are.

Don't be too quick to change the glass unless it's faulty or of very very poor quailty. Some of the older glass where better made back then compared to the stuff rolled out in name only today.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Somedaymaybe

cheers solid advice, as it was my first it I am sentimentally attached, maybe an air rifle so

Advertisement