Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DLR 10k - August Bank Holiday

Options
  • 24-07-2018 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭

Anyone doing it this year?

I've done it the last few years & it's a great event.

I usually get the early bird rate but forgot to this year - isn't BeepBeep usually around by now with a boardsie discount that equates to the early bird? :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

frash wrote: »
    Anyone doing it this year?

I've done it the last few years & it's a great event.

I usually get the early bird rate but forgot to this year - isn't BeepBeep usually around by now with a boardsie discount that equates to the early bird? :P

I popped a request in, let's see.
    If anyone is interested PM me and if it happens the first 10 PMs get dibs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I popped a request in, let's see.
    If anyone is interested PM me and if it happens the first 10 PMs get dibs.

Pm sent
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭racersedge

Already signed up for this one. Really enjoyed t last year. A fantastic atmosphere and support from the locals. It was the first race I did to hold such an atmosphere at the time. Looking forward to the return trip, even if it means tackling those inclines again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭CassieManson

racersedge wrote:
    Already signed up for this one. Really enjoyed t last year. A fantastic atmosphere and support from the locals. It was the first race I did to hold such an atmosphere at the time. Looking forward to the return trip, even if it means tackling those inclines again!!

Are there lots of inclines?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭estariol

Profile from gpx for last year using
    https://gpxviz2.sisao.de/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Are there lots of inclines?

There's a couple of tough ones but overall it's not too bad.

Did this last year and it's one of the best supported 10Ks out there.

There's a couple of tough ones but overall it's not too bad.

Did this last year and it's one of the best supported 10Ks out there.

My sentiments exactly. I found it had great support throughout the course which made those tough ones a bit more manageable!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,390 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Very warm here today, hope its not as hot as last year where I almost melted! Looking forward to my home run tomorrow so to speak.
    T shirts are nicer this year.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    Very warm here today, hope its not as hot as last year where I almost melted! Looking forward to my home run tomorrow so to speak.
    T shirts are nicer this year.

Nice bright colour. Although I like the green from last year. Nicer fit. I could easily of gotten away with a size smaller (which my wife got!) which also helps the ego!! Lucky I read the email about pickup mind you. Had every intention of just going up on the morning to get. At least spending the day up there allowed for some time to mooch about with the better half on a lovely day!

I cursed the hose pipe ban
    There's usually a kid down near Castle Park somewhere spraying the runners - I missed him this year.

Another great event though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

I was volunteering with my club and marshaling a turn around point on marine parade. Never again, the abuse I got off drivers was not worth it. The organizers need to put up more signs for traffic management and have Gardai at turnaround points as apparently I’ve no right to give instructions to drivers :(.....
    On the bright side my daughter really enjoyed the kids race and my club had lots of pbs. Felt sorry for the guy in the Batman costume, I’d say he was melting.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭derailed

Another great event this morning in Dun Laoghaire. The course was well marked and marshalled throughout and had no problems with start area and getting out on time as there seems to be a healthy enough number of about 1,000 participants. The support along the route really kept me going especially with the constant inclines in the first 5km section with several in the second part but the downhill sections were of some help in continuing the momentum to the finish. Deceptive uphill section from Newtownsmith to finish but great feeling to cross the line in 45 minutes. There was a very adequate supply of yoghurts, bars and other refreshments afterwards. Have yet to see finishers bags but regardless will be back as plenty of options for post race chats afterwards.

derailed wrote: »
    Another great event this morning in Dun Laoghaire. The course was well marked and marshalled throughout and had no problems with start area and getting out on time as there seems to be a healthy enough number of about 1,000 participants. The support along the route really kept me going especially with the constant inclines in the first 5km section with several in the second part but the downhill sections were of some help in continuing the momentum to the finish. Deceptive uphill section from Newtownsmith to finish but great feeling to cross the line in 45 minutes. There was a very adequate supply of yoghurts, bars and other refreshments afterwards. Have yet to see finishers bags but regardless will be back as plenty of options for post race chats afterwards.

We must not of been too far apart - I came in just over the 45 min mark myself! My third year back to do it and it's a race continue to enjoy. As you said, it is a well run event - closed roads, well marshaled and the local support is very good. The support as you say just keeps you going. A great turn-out with over a thousand runners (and who knows how many else were there for the family fun-run). So a lot to cater for. For the price, particularly at the early-bird rate, is great value.

Surprised myself with how well I did to be honest, particularly knowing the lenght of the uphill sections. Maintained a pretty good pace (actually I thought I was too fast out to be honest) and I powered on through the back half of the course. About a minute off my personal best, which given the course profile is was a great effort I feel. Looking into my run history, I've come forward almost ten minutes since my first crack at it. Not too shabby! The next year will be their 10th running I believe, so it's definitely one that will remain on my 'to-do' list come 2020.

5th time doing it

Great race. My local one.

Sadly the kid with the water hose around 7 / 8 km mark wasn't there this year. :(

Advertisement