Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest NAS HDD

Options
  • 24-07-2018 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Where can I find the cheapest NAS HDD at the moment?

I need 2 x 8TB HDD for my 2-bay server.

Mindfactory.de used to be cheap, Amazon.co.uk as well, but since 2 years now the price of memory has doubled, tripled.

I need to increase my server storage though, so I am looking for 8TB drives.

Any idea where they are cheapest now? I have UK address pal and connections on the EU mainland and in USA, Japan and Singapore so I can have it shipped over to me if needed.

Should have bought 8TB 2 years ago when prices were down, but never realised prices would triple and never thought I would run out 3TB this fast. LOL

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

BestBuy in the US are the cheapest if you're willing to "shuck".

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

Thank you, I have no idea what shuck means though. I looked it up, but what I found doesn't fit the context I think.

Just checked BestBuy for a WD - Red Pro 8TB Internal SATA NAS Hard Drive - 360 dollar. Thats quite expensive. They are cheaper in Ireland.

Poncke wrote: »
    Thank you, I have no idea what shuck means though. I looked it up, but what I found doesn't fit the context I think.

It does.

The Easystores are cheaper than their internal counterparts. Some are Red, some are white(blacks), some are Blues. See the guides.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/7fx0i0/wd_easystore_8tb_compendium/

I had to look up shucking HDD and now I know what you mean. Never thought of that. Let me have another look into the prices again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

ED E wrote: »
    BestBuy in the US are the cheapest if you're willing to "shuck".

The downside of this is that if there is an issue on the disk, the warranty would be void and you would be **** out of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

davo2001 wrote: »
    The downside of this is that if there is an issue on the disk, the warranty would be void and you would be **** out of luck.

Why?
    Could it not be returned to the case for warranty return?

Why?
    Could it not be returned to the case for warranty return?

Usually these are single disk sealed units, if you take it apart to remove the internal disk then the warranty is void.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

davo2001 wrote: »
    Usually these are single disk sealed units, if you take it apart to remove the internal disk then the warranty is void.

What I read implied this might not be so ....... that the drive itself was covered by warranty, so could be returned.

I would expect a drive to have a better chance to survive in a NAS case than in an external case. :)

People have found both to the be the case, depends on how hard your push.

They've also found drives that have been shucked and covertly returned put back on sale so the 2nd purchaser gets a nasty surprise. Some people are cnuts.

• Advertisement

What I read implied this might not be so ....... that the drive itself was covered by warranty, so could be returned.

I would expect a drive to have a better chance to survive in a NAS case than in an external case. :)

The internal disks are usually OEM serial number and would not have there own seperate warranty.

I checked the price for a Seagate 8TB external drive and there is only a 20 pound difference. So I decided to buy the NAS drive instead of shucking and risking a few problems.

Seagate 8 TB IronWolf 3.5 Inch 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive for 1-8 Bay NAS Systems (256 MB Cache, 180 TB/Year Workload Rate, Up to 210 MB/s)

Thanks everyone for their input, I learned a thing or two.

Advertisement