Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why I'll not give up seat for pregnant women after the bill passes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Pretzeluck wrote: »
    1. There are 7 freaking billion humans on earth. Why do you have to be selfish and put more people in the world. There isn't enough space for everyone, forests are destroyed at an alarming rate and all other natural resources are exploited to the maximum. Literally killing animals and their habitats to get resources for humans. When is it going to be enough? When there are 100 billion humans and no animals left because all of their habitat is destroyed?

2. You CHOSE to get pregnant. Disabled people don't CHOOSE to be disabled.

3. Don't take public transport if you can't handle standing. What makes you entitled? Your choice? If I CHOOSE to be fat then should I be entitled to a seat as well?

This wouldn't have applied before abortion was legalised as women couldn't choose if they want to have a child or not. After abortion legislation passes, there will be no excuse. I would assume all women are pregnant because they want to be.

well thats the most retarded thing ive read today, still its early

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

cursai wrote: »
    **** those spots. So I've no kids so I have to park at the back of the carpark!!! I see more of them in supermarkets than disabled parking. They are course in some of them. My local Aldi. There only there to get is parents in to spend more. **** those spots!!!

It's this sort of ignorance on the roads that really irritates me.

Most parking spaces in shopping centres are too small for your average family saloon these days (cars have gotten bigger while the spaces are the same as they were 20/30 years ago). Add to that the fact that most people can't park properly between the lines anyway.

Now try imagining getting a young child or baby out of the back of the car without hitting someone else's door while being constantly distracted by whatever their child is doing/saying etc. Then trying to keep them from getting run over by some dope who pulls out without looking or driving the wrong way down the row etc.

You've no kids as you said so I know you won't get it, but these spots are invaluable for people with young kids. I use them myself but only when I have the little fella in the back with me. Would never use them otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

**** those spots. So I've no kids so I have to park at the back of the carpark!!! I see more of them in supermarkets than disabled parking. They are course in some of them. My local Aldi. There only there to get is parents in to spend more. **** those spots!!!

Just a question . Have you ever tried to get a toddler out of a car seat while parked in a narrow space between two cars ? You need wider spaces so the door can open wider so you can manouver the child out . And of course not least so my door does not scratch or dent your door while I do so . The wider child parking spaces are to make life easier for us and protect your car

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

It's this sort of ignorance on the roads that really irritates me.

Most parking spaces in shopping centres are too small for your average family saloon these days (cars have gotten bigger while the spaces are the same as they were 20/30 years ago). Add to that the fact that most people can't park properly between the lines anyway.

Now try imagining getting a young child or baby out of the back of the car without hitting someone else's door while being constantly distracted by whatever their child is doing/saying etc. Then trying to keep them from getting run over by some dope who pulls out without looking or driving the wrong way down the row etc.

You've no kids as you said so I know you won't get it, but these spots are invaluable for people with young kids. I use them myself but only when I have the little fella in the back with me. Would never use them otherwise.

Fine. But when an idiot in a people carrier you could enter Mosul in, parks in the 'OAP Friendly' spots in my local Tesco and gets out with a teenager taller than me and go "Parent and Child are fuil" - you are viewing geebaggery of the highest order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Just a question . Have you ever tried to get a toddler out of a car seat while parked in a narrow space between two cars ? You need wider spaces so the door can open wider so you can manouver the child out . And of course not least so my door does not scratch or dent your door while I do so . The wider child parking spaces are to make life easier for us and protect your car

Just to play devil's advocate, why do those spaces need to be right at the front?

I have to admit, the new Tesco in Clondalkin did baffle me a little bit. I've never seen so many disabled and family parking spots, there are at least two rows of them and it seems a BIT excessive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Edgelords gonna edge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

1. There are 7 freaking billion humans on earth. Why do you have to be selfish and put more people in the world.

This is incorrect. There is plenty of space for people, especially in Ireland which has a very low population density.

Don't be an eejit.

troyzer wrote: »
    Just to play devil's advocate, why do those spaces need to be right at the front?

I have to admit, the new Tesco in Clondalkin did baffle me a little bit. I've never seen so many disabled and family parking spots, there are at least two rows of them and it seems a BIT excessive.

I agree with you . I use the parent and child spaces when I have my grandchild . I see no reason why the wider spaces have to be closer to the entry either
    Disabled spaces yes as they may need to be nearer .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

These spots arent put there for the good of ones family. I didn't say I have no kids. I manage perfectly fine in a normal spot. Because I'm able to park my car with enough space for the door to open. There should be disabled or elderly spaces at the front not incapable driver spaces. That's the real "ignorance on our roads" (snotty voice). :)

These spots arent put there for the good of ones family. I didn't say I have no kids. I manage perfectly fine in a normal spot. Because I'm able to park my car with enough space for the door to open. There should be disabled or elderly spaces at the front not incapable driver spaces. That's the real "ignorance on our roads" (snotty voice). :)

maybe you can manage to park with enough space to get out your children and great for you .Its other cars i find who park close to the line or over the line leaving very little room to manouver a toddler or a car seat out .
    I had one such occasion in Dundrum with a new born in a car seat.I parked nicely in my spot . room either side .Got the car seat out and put it on the wheels .Went off about my business . Came back and the car beside me was too close to the line .I could not get the infant seat in as the door would not open wide enough . Neither door would open .
    So do I leave the car seat on the ground and put the infant on my lap and reverse enough to get the seat in ? Or do I leave the child in the seat and hope no one else reverses out while I reverse out ? Or do I put the seat in the boot and reverse ? I was about to risk the last option with my heart in my mouth when a lovely kind security guard saw me and took the car seat plus baba safely to the side .
    A wider space would have really helped that day .Its no big deal to widen a few and just make it a little easier on a stressed nana

• Advertisement

Just a quick point - under no circumstances EVER does a parent/grandparent with child/ren outrank an elderly or disabled person.

Ever.

Just a quick point - under no circumstances EVER does a parent/grandparent with child/ren outrank an elderly or disabled person.

Ever.

Did anyone say they did ?

maybe you can manage to park with enough space to get out your children and great for you .Its other cars i find who park close to the line or over the line leaving very little room to manouver a toddler or a car seat out .
    I had one such occasion in Dundrum with a new born in a car seat.I parked nicely in my spot . room either side .Got the car seat out and put it on the wheels .Went off about my business . Came back and the car beside me was too close to the line .I could not get the infant seat in as the door would not open wide enough . Neither door would open .
    So do I leave the car seat on the ground and put the infant on my lap and reverse enough to get the seat in ? Or do I leave the child in the seat and hope no one else reverses out while I reverse out ? Or do I put the seat in the boot and reverse ? I was about to risk the last option with my heart in my mouth when a lovely kind security guard saw me and took the car seat plus baba safely to the side .
    A wider space would have really helped that day .Its no big deal to widen a few and just make it a little easier on a stressed nana

thats the pain we all feel. just because you have a child does not give you equal or (depending on carpark) more entitlement than disabled people.

Did anyone say they did ?

Tesco, Portlaoise. Every Saturday since the "OAP Friendly" spaces were introduced.

They're further away than the Parent and Child and smaller but are still abused.

Tesco, Portlaoise. Every Saturday since the "OAP Friendly" spaces were introduced.

They're further away than the Parent and Child and smaller but are still abused.

Absolutely disgraceful . They should send in a traffic warden and slap a fine on them all .

thats the pain we all feel. just because you have a child does not give you equal or (depending on carpark) more entitlement than disabled people.

At no stage for one second did I ever say it did ?

And perhaps slightly OT but the woman with a 6/7 year old who pushed passed me in Dunnes yesterday (I've limitations to mobility at the minute).

Someone saw me almost fall (thank God for the trolley!) and said "mind, you hit that lady".

The response was "I've got a kid here".

And ?????

Absolutely disgraceful . They should send in a traffic warden and slap a fine on them all .

Be great if they did - they organised also once an "Autism Friendly Hour" to shop - low lighting, quieter atmosphere etc. Brilliant idea - I've a nephew living with that condition.

Mother of the year allows her kids to run free and when challenged told the staff "it's for kids innit ? So they can play ?"

When reminded her response was unrepeatable but to sum up she didn't believe in the disorder and felt her children were being picked on.

At no stage for one second did I ever say it did ?

No but you are expecting it. And its becoming more prevalent. Not because they care about your kids. Its because people with kids in tow are more common so therefore buy more than a disabled person. Park at the other end of the carpark and walk.

Also most of these carparks are private and therefore not under the remit of the traffic warden or Gardai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭stratowide

Fine. But when an idiot in a people carrier you could enter Mosul in, parks in the 'OAP Friendly' spots in my local Tesco and gets out with a teenager taller than me and go "Parent and Child are fuil" - you are viewing geebaggery of the highest order.

Geebaggery..brilliant :D

• Advertisement

No but you are expecting it. And its becoming more prevalent. Not because they care about your kids. Its because people with kids in tow are more common so therefore buy more than a disabled person. Park at the other end of the carpark and walk.

Also most of these carparks are private and therefore not under the remit of the traffic warden or Gardai.

I beg your pardon I expect at no stage to be more important than a disabled person . Do not put words in my mouth . If a disabled person needed a space and I had four children to get out of my car I would happily go home rather than feel I needed that space more .I have no trouble walking thank you , I have stated ,if you care to read it , that the wider spaces could just as well be at the back of the carpark .Are you just here to pick on me for finding a wide space a great help or just out for an argument

I beg your pardon I expect at no stage to be more important than a disabled person . Do not put words in my mouth . If a disabled person needed a space and I had four children to get out of my car I would happily go home rather than feel I needed that space more .I have no trouble walking thank you , I have stated ,if you care to read it , that the wider spaces could just as well be at the back of the carpark .Are you just here to pick on me for finding a wide space a great help or just out for an argument

Not necessary. Your welcome. Victim hood is not a disability either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

LirW wrote: »
    OP is the kind of guy who parks on parent and child spots because "there's no actual law around them".

It is getting a bit ridiculous though.
    So many parking spots are now for "special" people that when you dont tick any of those boxes, you need public transport to get from the few parking spots available to you to the front door of the shop.

Which brings you back by not standing up for pregnant women again.

Why are wider spaces needed after children are babies ?

If your kid can't get out of a normal car in a normal space then surely neither can the grown ass parent ???

inforfun wrote: »
    It is getting a bit ridiculous though.
    So many parking spots are now for "special" people that when you dont tick any of those boxes, you need public transport to get from the few parking spots available to you to the front door of the shop.

Which brings you back by not standing up for pregnant women again.

Plus when you see a "child" built like Rory Best is shopping with the ma and parked in these spots, you know the p**s is being liberally taken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

1. There are 7 freaking billion humans on earth. Why do you have to be selfish and put more people in the world. There isn't enough space for everyone, forests are destroyed at an alarming rate and all other natural resources are exploited to the maximum. Literally killing animals and their habitats to get resources for humans. When is it going to be enough? When there are 100 billion humans and no animals left because all of their habitat is destroyed?

2. You CHOSE to get pregnant. Disabled people don't CHOOSE to be disabled.

3. Don't take public transport if you can't handle standing. What makes you entitled? Your choice? If I CHOOSE to be fat then should I be entitled to a seat as well?

This wouldn't have applied before abortion was legalised as women couldn't choose if they want to have a child or not. After abortion legislation passes, there will be no excuse. I would assume all women are pregnant because they want to be.

Shame on your mother for having you, WTF was she thinking?

Or op

Seeing as you don’t have kids , you have alot of cash to spend , go get a car , no buses

Job sorted

Jesus wept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Why are wider spaces needed after children are babies ?

If your kid can't get out of a normal car in a normal space then surely neither can the grown ass parent ???
    Because the parent has to clip the child into the car seat, which are often used until they are 3 or 4, and have restraints similar to an F1 racing car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Is this clickbait thread about a nonexistent bill still going?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I'm trying to save the world and protect the beings which have no voice.

Bless. Let us know how that goes for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I tell you what winds me up....people who put 'Daddy's Princess on board' or 'Little Dude on Board' or some **** like that on their back windows....:mad:

So fcuking what? You have kids in the back seat big fcking deal.

What? Am I less likely to drive in to the back of you now or something? Do you want a medal? I don't know tell me.

Newsflash: Nobody else outside your family gives a **** about little Sean or Mary. Nobody else finds them adorable. Nobody gives a **** or is even remotely interested in your kids. Just remember that.

Disclosure- I have 2 kids

kylith wrote: »
    Because the parent has to clip the child into the car seat, which are often used until they are 3 or 4, and have restraints similar to an F1 racing car.

But then after that ? Nope.

I tell you what winds me up....people who put 'Daddy's Princess on board' or 'Little Dude on Board' or some **** like that on their back windows....:mad:

What? Am I less likely to drive in to the back of you now or something? Do you want a medal? I don't know tell me.

I get a pathological desire to pick up a brick in those scenarios!

But then sure will all my barren millions available I can probably afford to fix any back windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm trying to save the world and protect the beings which have no voice.
    Lazy, entitled pricks with no empathy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

You're an arsehole. Next! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

Yes hahaha. Thank you, very nice argument. Most of the time words hurt more than physical actions. Such a nice comment to hear that inspires confidence.
    If I was dropped on my head then there is nothing I can do. I didn't choose this. I don't want to live a life knowing that I was dropped on my head and I'll never be anything. I'd rather be dead than be such an useless sheep.
    Been fighting low confidence and very low self esteem, this helps me greatly. I lost my father few years ago so I think I was ****ed enough in my life. The father who was my biggest inspiration and always gave me advice. Go **** yourselves. Absolute scumbags. I hope you suffer as much as I did. Now I'm leaving, bye bye. You'll be happy anyway with me gone, how many comments I've seen that I'm a waste of space and shouldn't exist tells me everything I need to know about the majority of humans in this world.

I get it that your angry at world, you lost you father so did I, was my best friend. If you suffer from low self esteem, and suicidal broads is not the best places to be. You need to talk to some one.

Not necessary. Your welcome. Victim hood is not a disability either.

Rudeness is not necessary in this thread . But whatever .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

Oh okay I'll bite! You are misguided in your one point.
    There isn't enough space for everyone

You can fit the entire worlds population into Texas

What about New Zealand?

As you can see (which you will obviously refuse to believe) there is plenty of space for everyone on this Earth of ours.

--

Now is when you start trying to rearrange your words and speak about context and and and

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

“Texas is 268,581 Square miles, if some amazing engineer were to design the father of all complexes; basically a China housing unit on steroids is the only thing that would work. The building would cover the entire state of Texas”

Right if they’re packed and stacked like tins of sardines but then they might be struggling for oxygen on the upper floors... there’s increasingly more people than governments/resources can manage how long are we supposed to deal with the overflow? Since they popped Africa’s cork it’s been like an ever flowing bottle of champagne; hardly a celebration and the climate change is becoming a serious issue it’s even beginning to noticeably affect us now. Less emissions/ more admissions please!

mach1982 wrote: »
    I get it that your angry at world, you lost you father so did I, was my best friend. If you suffer from low self esteem, and suicidal broads is not the best places to be. You need to talk to some one.

I'm still not 100% sure it's not a Black Mirror/Chris Morris style wind up but on the off chance it's not - 4 years after my mother passed I needed anti depressants and counselling.

Before that I said I was fine but being alone in a small office for a week seemed to trigger something. Talk to someone definitely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I agree with you OP about overpopulation etc, but not giving a seat up for a pregnant woman is just mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The bit i dont get is that the OP is pissed about the abortion referendum so decides to punish women who decide not to have an abortion. That just doesnt make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The bit i dont get is that the OP is pissed about the abortion referendum so decides to punish women who decide not to have an abortion. That just doesnt make sense.

Welcome to After Hours, where everyone's always angry at women!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

true enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Not everyone, I love women even went as far marrying one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Exactly, I did my part. I'll not contribute to the destruction of the world. I have a girlfriend and I also have a vasectomy.
    be some laugh if she ended up pregnant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

I did my part, I won't contribute to the human population and I feel proud as I won't contribute to the continuous destruction.

Its such a pity yo mama didnt believe as strongly in your argument as you do...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭Pretzeluck

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Its such a pity yo mama didnt believe as strongly in your argument as you do...

Hey, it's never too late. It was a mistake but the mistake which is me, can be eliminated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,965 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I saw a disabled person of limited mobility give up a seat for a woman, I think he thought she was pregnant.

But she was just fat.

That fat woman was very guilty and apologetic for the rest of the bus trip.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Newsflash: Nobody else outside your family gives a **** about little Sean or Mary. Nobody else finds them adorable. Nobody gives a **** or is even remotely interested in your kids. Just remember that.

Best of all is when you see these idiots with baby on board stickers driving out into oncoming traffic at junctions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement