Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Long for a Foreign Cheque to Clear?

Options
  • 24-07-2018 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

On the 8th of June I deposited a fairly large (around $25,000) US Dollar cheque into my BOI Current Account. I was told that it could take up to 30 days for it to clear. It’s now 6 week later and I still haven’t received any funds. In the past I used to deposit large enough US Dollar cheques quite often and they would clear within 10 days or less. I went into my branch today and I was told it could take up to 12-15 weeks, after being told 30 days!! 6 weeks seems an absurdly long time, never mind 12-15. This is extremely frustrating as I need access to the funds next week. How long does it usually take for foreign cheques to clear? Should it be taking this long? 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

cdx8763 wrote: »
    On the 8th of June I deposited a fairly large (around $25,000) US Dollar cheque into my BOI Current Account. I was told that it could take up to 30 days for it to clear. It’s now 6 week later and I still haven’t received any funds. In the past I used to deposit large enough US Dollar cheques quite often and they would clear within 10 days or less. I went into my branch today and I was told it could take up to 12-15 weeks, after being told 30 days!! 6 weeks seems an absurdly long time, never mind 12-15. This is extremely frustrating as I need access to the funds next week. How long does it usually take for foreign cheques to clear? Should it be taking this long? 

Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch with us through Boards.

Generally we'd advise that it can take a minimum of 4 to 6 weeks for a foreign cheque to clear but this process may take longer. Please be assured that we would make the funds available as soon as we'd receive confirmation of the clearance from the issuing bank.

Thanks again,
    Darren.

Advertisement