Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disposing of cleaning products

Options
  • 24-07-2018 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Does anyone know where/ how I can dispose of household cleaning products? I don't know if Powerstown landfill have a section in the recycling area?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

You'd need to specify the type of product really.

Aerosols, I'd put in the main bin. Other stuff like liquids (bleach, etc..), I'd be inclined to flush.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Bog Man 1

Why not use the product for cleaning .
    Triple rinse the containers if plastic and they can be are just the same as any other waste so can be recycled go to lanfill or incineration or be put in a container heading to china .
    There is a nice plume of steam coming out of the Incinerator in Poolbeg . Would there be more steam coming out of it on a Bank holiday weekend or was that just weather conditions .

• Registered Users Posts: 10 CircleTrack

They're mostly liquids, bleach, floor cleaners etc. I'm removing these things to try and improve my health. With empty ones I just recycled the plastic bottles. I'm trying to find out if there are specific places that will dispose of them somehow

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Isthisthingon?

It may sound odd, but as you use these cleaning products, they all eventually end up in the drain in diluted quantities.

You could flush small amounts down the toilet or sink (with water) and the pipes will carry it to the effluent treatment as normal.

I would do this is over a few days/ weeks depending on how much you have and on the basis that these are household cleaning products only.

Avoid pouring large neat amounts down the drain if you have your own sceptic tank as this would knock the good bugs out of kilter.

Or - give the products to someone who could use them as it does seem like a bit of a waste?

Advertisement