Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do you have to pay VRT twice on same vehicle ?

Options
  • 24-07-2018 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi guys thanks in advance,

So I’ve purchased a mini up north and was going about the process of vrting it and so on. As it turns out it had previously been registered on Monaghan plates years ago but Is currently back on northern plates.

I’ve the information on it’s southern history and have a general notion that you don’t pay vrt twice on the same vehicle so does anyone know what the process is or have any information to assist.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

That's correct, you don't pay twice providing the VIN matches up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MarkAC123

Would I have to bring this to their attention before I start the process or would I be on the system to say it has already been paid / processed at an earlier date?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,351 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It certainly used to be the case that you didn't pay vrt twice however if the car was exported since they introduced the vrt rebate when exporting and if a rebate was paid out, I figure vrt would be due again but that is me just applying common sense. The revenue might see things entirely differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Jack Moore

mickdw wrote: »
    It certainly used to be the case that you didn't pay vrt twice however if the car was exported since they introduced the vrt rebate when exporting and if a rebate was paid out, I figure vrt would be due again but that is me just applying common sense. The revenue might see things entirely differently.

No you are right, it used to be that if you re imported a car on which vrt was paid you would not have to pay a second time. However (and people have been caught out by this ) if the car is exported and the vrt rebate claimed then the vrt is owed again. What year was the car exported from the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’d imagine VRT on an old mini would be below the threshold?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I’d imagine VRT on an old mini would be below the threshold?

No minimum threshold. If the car is over 30 years old, VRT is €200. If it is not, the minimum VRT is €720

You don't want to be paying either if it is not due!

Advertisement