Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can’t remove pedal from road bike

Options
  • 24-07-2018 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Hi all, trying to remove standard clipped pedals for clueless ones. Gone one off, he right one thoug is totally jammed. Can’t budge it at all using wd40. Allen key, spanner. Have tried icing the nut but just won’t budge. Any tips? I’m a complete novice at this!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Hi all, trying to remove standard clipped pedals for clueless ones. Gone one off, he right one thoug is totally jammed. Can’t budge it at all using wd40. Allen key, spanner. Have tried icing the nut but just won’t budge. Any tips? I’m a complete novice at this!!

Is it the right one thats threaded the opposite way?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Does it have a left hand thread? Do you have a pedal spanner?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Aye each pedal is undone in a different direction relevant to its direction of travel, you may have potentially been tightening not loosening, often if not fitted with grease they can be a fecker to get off anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Buy a new bike

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭briancarr82

It’s the drive side pedal (right side) so should be same as a normal thread. Can’t move it either way!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Had the same issue myself, ended up swallowing my pride and bringing it to the local bike shop.

They’ve a 15mm spanner designed for changing the pedals. Took them 2 seconds.

Have a normal 15 mm spanner but no joy. Will drop it in tomorrow
    hunter164 wrote: »
    Had the same issue myself, ended up swallowing my pride and bringing it to the local bike shop.

They’ve a 15mm spanner designed for changing the pedals. Took them 2 seconds.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you've tried icing the nut, but have you tried heating it?
    aluminium has a higher thermal coefficient of expansion than steel - i.e. if the crank is aluminium and the pedal spindle is steel, cooling it only serves to make the crank 'bite down' on the steel.
    if you have a heat gun - the sort used for stripping paint - it might be worth trying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭rayman1

I had the same problem and solved it as usual with the help of Google / YouTube.
    I tied the crank steady to the down tube and used a long tube/pipe over the spanner for leverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭micar

rayman1 wrote: »
    I had the same problem and solved it as usual with the help of Google / YouTube.
    I tied the crank steady to the down tube and used a long tube/pipe over the spanner for leverage.

Second a long pipe over the spanner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Grinder out and cut the fukr off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

micar wrote: »
    Second a long pipe over the spanner.

I have an old seatpost that does the job nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭secman

check_six wrote: »
    I have an old seatpost that does the job nicely.

He can have my seat post.... once he gets it out of the frame :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I find that a hard sharp rap with a lump hammer/claw hammer against the spanner works better than leverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

I'm a fan of using WD-40 and leaving it alone to allow it to work its way in, sometimes overnight. In the past I have removed pedals no problem after letting WD-40 work its magic overnight, much to the amusement of a friend who couldn't remove a pedal for love nor money.
    Failing that, go for more leverage as has been suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

It should be easy enough to remove as that side is a normal thread. Don’t disassemble the crank but try and lock it somehow and use as much force to free it. Extra leverage might help as well as heat

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

I had the same problem before and stripped all the threads off the crank.  needed a new crankset then.  be careful with the pressure you apply.

I hope you get on better than me

bike shop had it done in 5 mins, took two of them at it with force but fot it done, alas my simple ould spanner was never gonna get it off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I love a happy ending

Advertisement