Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New driver - which year of car?

• 24-07-2018 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hello i m getting learner permit in few days and i have no clue which year car i should get.
    I m 25 yrs old in march 26.. i have no clue how insurance companies will look at me when for example i will try to insure 2004/2005 car, thats why i m asking you People about it maybe someone can guide me.
    thanks for help ^^

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Stanford

Have you ever driven as a named driver on a family members policy before?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 boczeka

Stanford wrote: »
    Have you ever driven as a named driver on a family members policy before?

no i have not as i stated i m just getting learner permit as passed theory test.

Keep it small and cheap, like a 2004 Opel Corsa 1.4 have a look at carzone.ie

Keep it small and cheap, like a 2004 Opel Corsa 1.4 have a look at carzone.ie

will it be cheaper for me when i m 25 and learner for insurance or same as for learner aged 18?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,270 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Nobody can tell you that as insurance costs are different for everyone but generally insurance is expensive for young inexperienced drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,050 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Some insurers won't touch a car over 15 years old, some insurers won't touch a car over 12 years old. Don't buy any car until you have confirmed quotes for that particular car.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Nobody can tell you that as insurance costs are different for everyone but generally insurance is expensive for young inexperienced drivers.

But you're not 18?

so basicly i would have to look up thro donedeal carzone... and call insurance companies just to make sure?

But you're not 18?

im 25 years old (born in 93

You won't know until you get a few quotes, try getting some quotes through a broker such as 123.ie

• Advertisement

is there anyway to get quoted without giving personal informations? i remember long time ago that you shouldnt have to and now mostly you have to

boczeka wrote: »
    is there anyway to get quoted without giving personal informations? i remember long time ago that you shouldnt have to and now mostly you have to

What kind of personal information do you mean?

they ask for name surename adress phone number and such

Of course they do, what did you expect?

i was just surprised as if people wanted to know quotes from more companies than just one to see whos cheaper, over all i found opel corsa 05 1.0 litre and it seems its in my town

How do you expect them to calculate the cost of insuring you if you don't provide them with your address. The other things can fibbed if you don't want them bugging you afterwards but they need basic personal information to calculate insurance.

Corsas of that age are just rubbish. A Yaris or Fiesta would be a wiser choice.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Corsas of that age are just rubbish. A Yaris or Fiesta would be a wiser choice.

will look up then for yaris or fiesta then

They are all much the same at that age, the Nissan Micra isn't that bad and plenty of them around

They are all much the same at that age, the Nissan Micra isn't that bad and plenty of them around

a lot of people told me about micra as well

• Advertisement

You are not from Ireland are you?

You are not from Ireland are you?

no i was born in poland now living here for nearly 9 years

OK you will be asked how long you have lived in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Smallest car with smallest engine will provide smallest premium.

Yaris, mii, citigo, ka, panda, aygo.

Try fiesta and fabia as slightly larger ones for comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

you do understand too you cannot drive on you own unitl you pass your full test first, you would need a fuill liscened drive with you at all times. Might be worth getting more lessons and passing test first before you go shopping for a new car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

OP, check Liberty insurance for online quotes. All Non-Irish friends I have used Liberty last year for their first insurance with learner permits.

I expect you to be able insure a small car like fiesta/yaris/corsa around 1800-2000 with them in your situation.

Examples:

36 years old male + 35 years old female + both learner permit owners + 0 NCB --> 1950 Euro for 9 years old Prius comprehensive cover

35 years old male + learner permit owner + 0 NCB --> 2300 Euro for 11 years old Prius third party cover

30 year old male + learner permit owner + 0 NCB --> 3000 Euro for 4 years old Volvo V40 1.6 diesel comprehensive cover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

how could you expect an insurance company to quote you if you don't give them any information?

Learner Driver with no driving experience. Its not gonna be cheap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You're better off without a car until you've a full license.

To be honest dont limit yourself on any car. Pick up registrations on a few different ones and run those by the insurances companies. I've only had a license a little less than a year now and bigger cars have always been cheaper to insure, even though they were "old".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

kerten wrote: »
    OP, check Liberty insurance for online quotes. All Non-Irish friends I have used Liberty last year for their first insurance with learner permits.

I expect you to be able insure a small car like fiesta/yaris/corsa around 1800-2000 with them in your situation.

Examples:

36 years old male + 35 years old female + both learner permit owners + 0 NCB --> 1950 Euro for 9 years old Prius comprehensive cover

35 years old male + learner permit owner + 0 NCB --> 2300 Euro for 11 years old Prius third party cover

30 year old male + learner permit owner + 0 NCB --> 3000 Euro for 4 years old Volvo V40 1.6 diesel comprehensive cover
    Another one to add to your list with Liberty:

33 year old female (learner permit) + 31 year old male (full license, named driver), 0 driving experience, 0 NCB --> 1940 TPFT for a 2006 1.0L Toyota Yaris

Most places wouldn't quote, and those that did were >3000. Liberty was the best by a long shot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement