Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should 100% mortgages return?

• 24-07-2018 8:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I think they should. It's unrealistic expecting young working people to raise 30k for a deposit while paying extortionate rent on the private market.

Maybe even 95%?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Expensive money isn't the answer to the housing shortage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

It's the only way most people would get a mortgage these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Benteke

One recession not good enough for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's a huge topic but I don't think 100% mortgages were ever a good idea. When getting our mortgage it was a max of 80% and tied strictly to a multiple of our earnings. In many ways this helped keep price rises under some check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

90% mortgages are already pretty good. 100% is only asking for trouble all over again.

Money easily got isn't money valued.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭theboringfox

No they should never return. Just drives up prices. I'd prefer to see tighter not looser rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Benteke wrote: »
    One recession not good enough for you?

When you have couple's out there who would have the means to pay back 2k a month but can't get mortgages because 1500 of that goes on rent. I don't see why a 100% mortgage would be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Not a good idea at all.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Did i dream it or did they at one point chuck a 100% mortgage plus a brand new Rover car at people ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

It may be the smart and ballsy thing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

rob316 wrote: »
    When you have couple's out there who would have the means to pay back 2k a month but can't get mortgages because 1500 of that goes on rent. I don't see why a 100% mortgage would be a problem.

Because there arent enough houses. Allowing more people to spend money they risk never being able to pay, or being caught when prices normalise would be bananas. If anything, the % should be reduced not increased when prices are in a bubble.

Dealing with the supply of houses is the only sane action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭gifted

Did i dream it or did they at one point chuck a 100% mortgage plus a brand new Rover car at people ...

That was just stupidity at its best.....

Everyone knows Rover were ****e cars lol lol

I'll get my coat....

I think we are doing well with 90% to be honest as much as i would like 100%! prices would go... through the roof :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

gifted wrote: »
    That was just stupidity at its best.....

Everyone knows Rover were ****e cars lol lol

I'll get my coat....

Did anyone take them up on offer .... I remember thinking how absolutely stupid that was .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

No but we need to start building houses yesterday, this time in places where people want to live. Of course this won't happen till the core FF/FG voters are out of negative equity. Cheers for pulling the rope up there lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I got a 100% 340,000 mortgage over 35 years in 2006 with my now ex wife.
    In twelve years the principal has decreased by about 80k.
    To be honest its not something I've dwelt on too much over the years, I just concentrate on meeting the repayment and everything that goes with it every month.

I hope to rent out a couple of rooms in the next few months for as close to the 14,000 limit as possible and put that towards the mortgage as well which will hopefully reduce the term of the loan substantially.

I don't think it would be a total disaster to reintroduce the product under very strict criteria and I certainly wouldn't discourage anyone from availing of one if they met the terms and conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

100% mortgage but stick to the wages=borrowing formula for deciding loan amount could work

Short memories it seems!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Definitely not. We need to stick to our rules. If they ever change the rules they should adjust it by no more 1 or 2 percent per year.

If they changed to 100 percent mortgages all at once the only thing that would happen is house prices would jump yet again. You still have a house shortage. Letting people borrow more money without increasing the amount of housing will do nothing more than put more money in the sellers pocket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

No. I think many (not all) young people could be better with money though and therefore be able to save more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

No. Credit fuelled the last bubble and giving it out more easily will only push prices higher esp when supply is well down. Keep some form of rules 're deposit required, x times applicants wages etc and get them to be be better on the interest rates. Their cost of funds are fcukall atm and they are making a serious margin as is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Bring back 105% mortgages - i need extra for the decking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Eh, no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

100% with a requirement to pay back more in the first 5 years to reduce the principle?

It would solve the issue of people being well able to afford a mortgage repayment but not to save the 10% deposit while paying high rent, on the other hand as others said prices will be driven up.

Wait for the next recession, can't be too far away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I think they should. It's unrealistic expecting young working people to raise 30k for a deposit while paying extortionate rent on the private market.

Maybe even 95%?
    Fixing the rental market is the answer - not overlending to young people to prop up an over expensive housing system.

If you cant save the deposit when renting or living at home, then maybe buying a property isnt suitable for you, the mortage cost is only one cost of many that comes with property ownership.

retalivity wrote: »
    Bring back 105% mortgages - i need extra for the decking

Decking for the Dublin gaff or the Bulgaria one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Now 100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Ipso wrote: »
    Decking for the Dublin gaff or the Bulgaria one?

Crap....better make it 110% so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Yes I think you should take on as much debt as you can sign for

Things are great nothing will change

We wont repeat the mistakes of the past

We are an island

Someone with a bit more knowledge may be able to help me on this.
    We had a property bubble in the early 2000's where houses were thrown up everywhere and then there were ghost estates, has the population increased so much in the mean time that there is now a shortage or were houses built in the wrong areas?

Also has a study been done comparing house prices as a multiple of income from around now looking back to the 80's?

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I got a 100% 340,000 mortgage over 35 years in 2006 with my now ex wife.
    In twelve years the principal has decreased by about 80k.
    To be honest its not something I've dwelt on too much over the years, I just concentrate on meeting the repayment and everything that goes with it every month.

Meanwhile I have spent 66,000 euro on rent in the last 4 years. I'd be delighted if 100% mortgages came in. So long as it was done sensibly such as only people in permanent positions, 3.5 times of their salary etc.

MidMan25 wrote: »
    100% with a requirement to pay back more in the first 5 years to reduce the principle?

It would solve the issue of people being well able to afford a mortgage repayment but not to save the 10% deposit while paying high rent, on the other hand as others said prices will be driven up.

There's a thinking man.

The UK had 130% mortgages!

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    The UK had 130% mortgages!

With 6.5% interest. Ouch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,617 ✭✭✭✭Sand

100% mortgages would just be a subsidy to developers and property owners, as they were in the past. The property "problem" in Ireland today is one of supply. Boosting demand only makes things even worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

100% mortgages to those with clear ability to repay shouldn't be much an issue.

Better than a 50% mortgage to someone who can't.

The Celtic tiger was fueled by reckless lending of all levels to people who were always going to be over stretched.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Not even 10 years removed from recession and I see this thread pops up. People really and truly deserve what they get in life (personal tragedies aside)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It was a Volvo c30

Yes, definitely. An inspired idea. 100% mortgages and they should be repayable over 40-45 years. The poor First Time Buyers need to be able to borrow much more.

Yours,

everybody in Dublin who is thinking of selling

• Advertisement

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Not even 10 years removed from recession and I see this thread pops up. People really and truly deserve what they get in life (personal tragedies aside)

I don't see the problem if it's kept very strict. 10% extra over 20 odd years to someone with a strong ability to repay isn't going to melt the economy.

My point is 30k is a prohibitive figure for a couple to save when they are spending about 16k a year on rent.

100% mortgages didn't cause the last recession, it was the reckless lending criteria that did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

It would all end in developers' pockets.
    House prices would shoot up.

I don't see the problem if it's kept very strict. 10% extra over 20 odd years to someone with a strong ability to repay isn't going to melt the economy.

My point is 30k is a prohibitive figure for a couple to save when they are spending about 16k a year on rent.

100% mortgages didn't cause the last recession, it was the reckless lending criteria that did.

But in the past people used to save it, and back then rates were in the double digits.
    100% mortgages are a symptom of a bigger problem that needs to be addressed and turning to 100% mortgages just feeds into the vicious cycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

100% mortgages maybe at loan interest rates, but if you want interest rates based on a secured assest then you need to have actual equity in it and not just market speculation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,324 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

No. I thought 100% mortgages was a stupid and crazy idea back then and I still do now. Sure borrow 100% of something you will never be able to fully pay back sure great idea not.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

How about no I phone, holiday, 4 take always, 2 cars, Orlando every year, kids decked out in the newest gear, laptops, I pads, Netflix, 3 TVs in each house etc etc

Then people wonder why that can’t afford the necessary things.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭no.8

rob316 wrote:

Ridiculous. This is a windup...IT has to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Literally learned nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

What's the bigger challenge of the two for a single first time buyer, is it

a) saving the actual deposit

or

b) the 3.5x your salary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

With 6.5% interest. Ouch!

At least those banks priced in some of the additional risk they were taking unlike the Irish banks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement