Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT fail, repair cost?

• 24-07-2018 8:29pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7

Hi

Was wondering how much all this would cost, they failed on a 12 2.0 Mondeo today.

Tracking/Alignment

Front Track Rod End Worn

Rear Wishbone Bushing Worn

I got a quote today of €209 from an independent garage. Is this good price? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭mookishboy

If that is including parts that's not to bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Stanford

Make sure you replace both track rod ends for better alignment while you're at it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

These parts aren’t expensive.

You might be able to save a good bit by pricing the parts at your local motor factors and getting them fitted and tracking done seperately.

I would also recommend changing both sides (ns and os) as preventative maintenance

Car will drive much better afterwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

ION08 wrote: »
    These parts aren’t expensive.

You might be able to save a good bit by pricing the parts at your local motor factors and getting them fitted and tracking done seperately.

I would also recommend changing both sides (ns and os) as preventative maintenance

How exactly will the car drive better after replacing the track rod end that isn’t worn??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I think he meant the car would drive better overall after the work.

To be fair as well, just because it hasn't failed an NCT, the opposite side will still have 6 years of wear and tear on it and with things like this it's nice to replace them in pairs to keep rates of wear even, particularly when it's such a cheap component on a relatively new car.

A car with 2x new track rod ends and a fresh 4 wheel alignment will probably feel a bit tighter on the road afterwards. It's probably not completely necessary to do both but it wasn't bad advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

How exactly will the car drive better after replacing the track rod end that isn’t worn??

Is that what i said?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Stanford
    Make sure you replace both track rod ends for better alignment while you're at it

ION08

A track rod end is not like a shock or a coil spring where you should replace both. A track rod end is either worn or it’s not. Won’t make a bit of difference to the car replacing it with a new one if there is no wear in it.

Advertisement