Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fairgreen Estate in Portlaoise.

Options
  • 24-07-2018 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, anyone on here familiar with the estate? We're about to purchase a house in the estate and want to make sure it's safe for our kids and that there's no anti-social behaviour. Thanks, Tony

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭s14driftking

Parts of it are rough. Afaik there was a person stabbed there last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I’d avoid. I’ve heard of gang trouble there, shootings and stabbing. Plenty of lovely people there too though. I do a lot of work there as a plumber. Terrible plumbing there.
    It’s also a NIGHTMARE to drive around and find your way. The builders were notorious for their idiotic layouts. Same with other estates they built in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 MCLAW

I felt compelled to reply as I think that is a very unfair reflection of Fairgreen. To begin with I live in one of the nicer areas of Fairgreen and I haven't heard of the above incident. There have been issues in a lot of the estates in Portlaoise Kilminchy/Esker/Mary Borough to name but a few.. With the magnitude of Fairgreen it is bound to have some occasions as is the case with most estates these days especially with all the housing estates allocation of 10% social housing which are further back in Fairgreen. Its a small minority but it happens. I live on a lovely street with lovely neighbours all looking out for each other. Some parents organise quasar for kids on the greens, the amenities are fantastic, Iceland, a fantastic pub "the bog road" fab food, filling station etc all on our door step..
    I'm sure the Op will do his homework! The majority of people paid 250k+ some even 300k at the height of the boom they will not see the colour of that now!! Best of luck with your decision Op

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gsmorag

Thosten wrote: »
    Hi, anyone on here familiar with the estate? We're about to purchase a house in the estate and want to make sure it's safe for our kids and that there's no anti-social behaviour. Thanks, Tony

Hi,
    I just saw your post and have the same concern. We are looking to buy a property in Portlaoise, considering also Fairgreen estate.

We were already viewing a house at the far end of the estate and it looks a bit derelict, which eventually led us not to follow the lead.

However, we are still wondering how is the beginning of the area and especially De Vesci Court?

Cheers for any info.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

I live on De vesci court - very quiet area and the people are lovely - we bought our house 3 years ago and havent had any troubles!

TBH as with every estate there is some anti social behavior... especially the further you go into the estate.... but I said we havent had any issues at all.

As a previous poster commented - its a bit out of town but is surrounded by amenities since iceland opened - the bog road is lovely - great topaz - chinese, chipper and pizza place all within walking distance! I wouldnt have an hassle in recommending De vesci court just be a little bit more cautious the further and more populated the estate goes....

Best of luck with buying... long drawn out process and hope it all works out for ye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Thosten

Hi all, thanks for your opinions. Like with everything there's always two sides to a story. It's interesting that the people who actually live in the estate seem quite happy there. And it's those people's feedback that I'm really interested in. The house we're looking at is in Glenkeen Park looking out on the green. It's one of the detached houses with a detached garage. I happened to be in Portlaoise today on business and spoke with some local people. It's really a mixed bag depending who you talk to. Some people I spoke to actually live in the estate and the first thing they ask is where in the estate I'm talking about so it's clear that there are certain parts that are maybe not so desirable. From what I heard there have been some issues in the past with junkies living in the apartments and that they would target houses during the day when people are out working. A local business owner told me it's a rough area. I was pretty taken aback when he said and I quote "if you're looking for a prostitute, drugs or a hitman you'll find it in there". I'll take that with a pinch of salt. Maybe the estate got a bad rap in the past and it has improved since? Also I was thinking if there was a Resident's Association surely any unacceptable carry-on could be highlighted and addressed. We're a couple with a 4 year old that have been renting in Dublin for the last 8 years but it's becoming unaffordable hence why we're looking at buying something further afield as we cannot afford to buy a house in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭s14driftking

If your going to be commuting to Dublin just be warned it’s horrendous. U could get to Dublin in an hr or it could take 3.
    Best of luck if u pursue buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Stankovic2020

Thosten wrote: »
    Hi all, thanks for your opinions. Like with everything there's always two sides to a story. It's interesting that the people who actually live in the estate seem quite happy there. And it's those people's feedback that I'm really interested in. The house we're looking at is in Glenkeen Park looking out on the green. It's one of the detached houses with a detached garage. I happened to be in Portlaoise today on business and spoke with some local people. It's really a mixed bag depending who you talk to. Some people I spoke to actually live in the estate and the first thing they ask is where in the estate I'm talking about so it's clear that there are certain parts that are maybe not so desirable. From what I heard there have been some issues in the past with junkies living in the apartments and that they would target houses during the day when people are out working. A local business owner told me it's a rough area. I was pretty taken aback when he said and I quote "if you're looking for a prostitute, drugs or a hitman you'll find it in there". I'll take that with a pinch of salt.
    Maybe the estate got a bad rap in the past and it has improved since? Also I was thinking if there was a Resident's Association surely any unacceptable carry-on could be highlighted and addressed. We're a couple with a 4 year old that have been renting in Dublin for the last 8 years but it's becoming unaffordable hence why we're looking at buying something further afield as we cannot afford to buy a house in Dublin.

Did you purchase here after?,i am looking to buy in here also and use it as a rental property before i move into in a few years time.

Advertisement