Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues with new build. Graphics card not powering up.

Options
  • 24-07-2018 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭

Hi my son built his 1st pc with core i3 8100 and gtx 1060 3gb. He powered up with dp connected to GPU and no signal on monitor. He tried HDMI connection and still the same. The only way display worked was when he removed the GPU and connected to motherboard. Likely it's an issue down to being his first attempt but we've tried downloading new drivers and it keeps saying no card detected. Is it possible the card is faulty? Bought brand new from Amazon.de. Cheers folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Wailin wrote: »
    Hi my son built his 1st pc with core i3 8100 and gtx 1060 3gb. He powered up with dp connected to GPU and no signal on monitor. He tried HDMI connection and still the same. The only way display worked was when he removed the GPU and connected to motherboard. Likely it's an issue down to being his first attempt but we've tried downloading new drivers and it keeps saying no card detected. Is it possible the card is faulty? Bought brand new from Amazon.de. Cheers folks.
    First thing which comes to my mind is to check Bios settings for GPU settings. Never had CPU with build in g.card so I dont know will bios detect card and change output, but it would be first thing to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

6 pin power, back corner of the board, connect it?

Check all connections into Mobo and also that the GPU is seated right.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Does the motherboard have an internal graphics card thats disabling the gpu?

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Having recently had a problem with a GPU, it's worth noting that our PC would not power up at all (fans would not spin), with the dead GPU.
    I was in the position of being able to use a different GPU in that PC, confirming that the GPU was the problem.
    I also tried the dead GPU in a different PC, with the same outcome.

So, I would suggest that you check if the CPU completes the POST or not. Most motherboards have visual or audio indication of this (LEDs on the board, or beeps). If it doesn't POST at all, then you should return the GPU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭Wailin

We got it working guys, i think it was just a case of not properly connected (don't know how though as i removed and reconnected it 3 or 4 times beforehand as did my son). Drivers downloaded and he's a happy camper.

Usually it's something simple like that.

Yeah sometimes you can do the exact same thing few times and no joy, and next time you try, boom. It works.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

All Eyes On Rafah

Yeah sometimes you can do the exact same thing few times and no joy, and next time you try, boom. It works.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You're the helpful type i see. Its his first ever pc build and he's delighted with himself. Take your negative **** and get lost.

You're the helpful type i see. Its his first ever pc build and he's delighted with himself. Take your negative **** and get lost.

Nothing negative in what i said. Calm down. I was simply saying that when building a PC sometimes you can do the same thing a couple of times and for some reason it works the 3rd time. No need for personal abuse.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement

Nothing negative in what i said. Calm down. I was simply saying that when building a PC sometimes you can do the same thing a couple of times and for some reason it works the 3rd time. No need for personal abuse.

Probably once or twice happened to everyone. All done perfectly but still wouldn't work.
    Machines "feel" the stress.

Jaysus, my utmost apologies. I thought the little emoji was sarcasm!! Sorry again and my response was over the top.

Jaysus, my utmost apologies. I thought the little emoji was sarcasm!! Sorry again and my response was over the top.

No worries dude. Its the 'I dont know why' emoji. Ive been in a similar situation with a motherboard, then it somehow magically came to life.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

If it was me personally I'd reinstall it now, sometimes it can have a bit of an impact on performance. Windows configures certain settings on the initial install and those will all now have assumed you don't have a dedicated GPU, some change back automatically some don't.

Windows would have also installed a default set of drivers when it was initially set up and then you made other attempts to install drivers and now you've installed the proper drivers, the older installs can leave remnants which you don't want. Usually it's not worth the effort reinstalling but on a fresh machine it might be.

There's a 1% chance that you're losing 10% or more performance, probably a 50% chance that you are losing 1% performance. IMO on a new machine you might as well do it. Personally when I'm installing a fresh copy of windows if any driver install doesn't go perfect the first time I scrap the whole install and start again. If it's windows and you're installing from a USB and know were you get your drivers you can probably be back to where you are now in less than an hour.

Thanks Gar
    Forgive my ignorance (my son is the computer nerd i don't really have a clue) but are you talking about reinstalling windows 10 or the GPU drives?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

GarIT wrote: »
    Windows would have also installed a default set of drivers when it was initially set up and then you made other attempts to install drivers and now you've installed the proper drivers, the older installs can leave remnants which you don't want. Usually it's not worth the effort reinstalling but on a fresh machine it might be.

This here had me waste 3 days chasing my tail, with no help from Ubisoft.
    I've built my PC from parts, with a 1080Ti, and all was peachy, until my son's GPU decided to die, and I gave him mine.
    While I waited for a new GPU, I installed the Intel HD driver and was using the PC for non-gaming activity.
    When I had the replacement, I tried to run Watch Dogs 2, and it was not starting. What was odd was that I had no trouble running Watch Dogs 1 or Far Cry 5, they both started and played fine.
    For three days, I tried in vain to get WD2 to work, while getting help from Ubisoft support. Eventually, when I saw the problem was the phantom Intel HD driver, which you can't remove manually, the solution was to reinstall Windows. After that, I could play all games, including WD2.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Thanks Gar
    Forgive my ignorance (my son is the computer nerd i don't really have a clue) but are you talking about reinstalling windows 10 or the GPU drives?

Windows 10. Windows is very fragile at times, a lot of core system settings that control how fundamental parts of the system work are stored in the registry, Everytime you install a driver this can be altered in ways that might not be right for your configuration and cause performance issues. So it's best to install each driver exactly once for best performance, least bugs, least blue screens.

Driver install order is very important, for example your chipset driver affects every other driver, if you install your chipset driver last you have caused problems with every other driver. I don't remember the correct order for driver install but I think it's always chipset first, gpu second, but I'm not sure Google knows. Sometimes your motherboard will tell you in the manual but not often.

The steps for optimal performance:
    Download windows 10 from the Microsoft website and use their tool to create a windows 10 USB key.
    Create a second USB key with every driver you need, so everything from your motherboard manufacturer, your cpu manufacturer, you manufacturer, WiFi card if you have one, hard drive sometimes have special drivers for extra performance, disk drive if you have one, keyboard and mouse if those are fancy. Download and put all of these drivers on to a second USB key.
    Install Windows 10 and do not let it connect to the internet, if it connects to the internet you have to start again as once connected to the internet it will install ****ty drivers that the Windows update servers send it.
    Install all drivers in the correct order.
    And then you're safe to connect it to the internet.

And be careful with audio and wifi drivers, if you've an Intel processor they will often recommend Intel's audio and wifi drivers, don't use them use your motherboards audio drivers, (sometimes these come bundled in with the chipset drivers, they might not be obvious but if you've downloaded everything from your motherboard manufacturer they are there) and use the WiFi drivers from wherever you got your wifi if you have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Haven't seen this advice before. I know I've installed and overwritten drivers multiple times. Haven't seen any real issues personally, but worth baring in mind the install order next time I do a wipe.

Thanks very much for sharing :)

Not working again guys :( Was fine the last few days then he started up this morning and no signal to monitor. Cooling fans and lights are on but fan on card not running again.

I think we'll return the card to amazon since we have till the 9th of August.

A photo to show you guys in case we're missing something.

42973809604_5969e362e4_c.jpg

42787171095_febb20da0a_c.jpg

• Advertisement

I think we'll return the card to amazon since we have till the 9th of August.

A photo to show you guys in case we're missing something.

42973809604_5969e362e4_c.jpg

42787171095_febb20da0a_c.jpg

Do You have anyone who could check the card for You? To sort out is it card itself or maybe bad pci on motherboard.

OK so it's not the card! I have a Dell XPS 8700 and removed the card from it (gtx 645) and put it into my son's pc and it booted up fine. SO we said it was definitely the card but then we put the gtx 1060 into my dell and it worked fine. We can rule the card out so :confused:

Motherboard??

OK so it's not the card! I have a Dell XPS 8700 and removed the card from it (gtx 645) and put it into my son's pc and it booted up fine. SO we said it was definitely the card but then we put the gtx 1060 into my dell and it worked fine. We can rule the card out so :confused:

Motherboard??

I dont remember but gtx645 doesnt use the 6pin power connector? Maybe cable on psu is faulty. Have one or more 6pins in new one?
    Check their connection to psu?

Advertisement