Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too many Chillies

Options
  • 24-07-2018 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

I planted some chilli seeds and they have all grown : o there is an abundance of chillies. I dont want to waste them so whats is the best thing to do with them? Freeze them??? If yes should i freeze them whole or chopped?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Make bottles of hot sauce. Send me one when they are done. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

I freeze whole chillis all the time. They usually cut pretty easily with a kitchen scissors straight into whatever I'm cooking. I'm not sure about thawing them fresh though, I've never tried to.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

Make bottles of hot sauce. Send me one when they are done. Thanks.

They are cayenne chillies. Can i do that with these? Any recipes?

There are a ton of recipes on YouTube. Jamie Oliver, Shawn Evans and the food wishes chap all have recipes I've used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

I freeze whole chillis all the time. They usually cut pretty easily with a kitchen scissors straight into whatever I'm cooking. I'm not sure about thawing them fresh though, I've never tried to.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Take the buds of a few and keep in good oil,infuses the oil

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Chuck a load of them chopped up in a bottle of oil with some roughly chopped garlic; delicious chili oil and it'll last forever.

How many chilis do you get per plant? Would they grow indoors in a pot? I'd love to grow some myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

You could pickle them, dry them, freeze them, or make an infused oil from them!

https://healthyeating.sfgate.com/store-fresh-cayenne-peppers-olive-oil-4692.html
    https://www.growveg.co.uk/guides/how-to-dry-chilli-peppers/
    http://www.msadventuresinitaly.com/blog/2007/03/19/how-to-make-hot-pepper-chili-oil/

Wear gloves though and if you're thinking about making chili oil, do a bit of research about botulism first.

benjamin d wrote: »
    Chuck a load of them chopped up in a bottle of oil with some roughly chopped garlic; delicious chili oil and it'll last forever.

How many chilis do you get per plant? Would they grow indoors in a pot? I'd love to grow some myself.

So far on one of them i have 4 chillies and about 10 more flowers which will turn into chillies i have 5 more plants the same.

I think they would grow happily on a windowsill

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I would definitely freeze some.
    When you have them frozen hard and want to use them, you can use a fine grater to grate them straight into the food. Works really well, and you won't need to worry about not touching your face for hours after you cut them, it keeps your hands off the bits that have capsaicinoids in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I always pickle any extra chillies that I have.

Wash and slice the chillies and put in sterilised jars.
    Bring some white wine vinegar to the boil with some sugar and salt to taste.
    Add some water if you don't like too strong a vinegary taste - the sugar also tempers this taste.
    Pour the hot vinegar mix over the chillies to cover.
    Seal jars.
    Will keep forever.
    Use in recipes or in sandwiches or just on dishes.

I demand Hot Sauce!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

https://www.wikihow.com/Dry-Chilies

I did hang up method, into the jar, I add them to nearly everything.

I demand Hot Sauce!

Ask and you shall receive :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm delighted with this thread! I have five plants (I gave one away) and they're full of chillies. It's been a great year for them and the tomatoes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Shenshen wrote: »
    When you have them frozen hard and want to use them, you can use a fine grater to grate them straight into the food. Works really well, and you won't need to worry about not touching your face for hours after you cut them, it keeps your hands off the bits that have capsaicinoids in them.

Same here, freeze and grate.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I have some chilli seeds that I never got around to planting. I want to grow them on my windowsill. Should I wait till next spring to plant them?

I gave away loads of chilli and tomatoes plants too.

My tomatoes plants are laydened down with with little green balls but are slow to ripen.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Shenshen wrote: »
    When you have them frozen hard and want to use them, you can use a fine grater to grate them straight into the food..
    +1, they are much easier to slice finely if frozen. When I get salt & chilli wings in the chinese I get way to many large slices of chilli, so pick them out & freeze them, there is no sauce in the dish so it works well. I do not like large chunks of chilli.

I guess you could "can" them in a pressure cooker too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I have some chilli seeds that I never got around to planting. I want to grow them on my windowsill. Should I wait till next spring to plant them?

I would - as far as I know they're sown in early spring on a sunny windowsill.

• Advertisement

yogibear77 wrote: »
    I gave away loads of chilli and tomatoes plants too.

My tomatoes plants are laydened down with with little green balls but are slow to ripen.

It's early yet - mine have just begun to change colour slightly.

Advertisement