Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disc brakes or better groupset?

Options
  • 24-07-2018 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

Hi lads,

Which would you choose a bike with Tiagra groupset and disc brakes

or a bike with 105 and rim brakes?

Same price,

Stuck in a dilemma.. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The new 105 groupset should be available very soon. It’s cheaper list price I’d wait

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Hydraulic discs? Maybe, depends on the bike.
    Mechanical or hybrid discs, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Truck

They are mechanical discs,
    thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Truck wrote: »
    They are mechanical discs,
    thanks.

That's the old Tiagra Disc Groupset without Hydraulics then, defo not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

What are you using the bike for? I would personally go for 105/rim brakes over anything with mechanical disc brakes regardless of what groupset is on the bike but that’s just me.

• Advertisement

What are you using the bike for? I would personally go for 105/rim brakes over anything with mechanical disc brakes regardless of what groupset is on the bike but that’s just me.

Be using the bike for the odd sportif, some long spins as alternative to running (I’m a runner mostly!) will do the odd duathlon, nothing too serious.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Yeah, definitely don't get discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

You can upgrade to 105 in the future but you can't do that with the disc brakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

Since the discs are mechanical Id say go for the 105, if they had been hydraulic Id have said go with them.

Thanks all, think I'll go for the 105 groupset, mechanical disc brakes don't seem to offer a whole lot more for the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

As a bike mechanic, a Shimano TEC qualified one at that, I'd say go for the disc option.

Properly set up mechanical disc brake systems are far superior to rim brakes.

No faffing around bleeding hydraulic systems either, just cable adjustment.

Don't fall for the Shimano marketing, or the old Tiagra/105/Ultegra hierarchy/snobbery, either.

Tiagra groupsets are perfectly reliable (just as reliable as 105 or Ultegra).

I've got bikes with various vintages of Tiagra, 105, Ultegra, Shimano 600 tricolour(pre-ultegra) and Dura-Ace (there may even be a few Sora bits in there somewhere too!) and the bottom line is reliability with them all. That's why I use them.

Advertisement