Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Value GPU 1080p gaming

Options
  • 24-07-2018 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭

I have an R9 290X on which one of the fans has failed, it is running too hot and causing intermittent shut downs, especially with the heat we have been having, it is an MSI non-reference board so even if I could find an aftermarket cooler, for what is an aging card, it is unlikely to fit. PC is mainly used for Fortnite and Sims 4 by the kids these days. I will try jury-rigging a fan over the top of the non-functioning one to see if it improves the temps enough, if not I will need a new GPU. What's the best bang for buck these days for 1080p gaming, especially for games that are not bleeding edge in terms of requirements like the 2 mentioned above?

It will need to power 2 monitors, but only one is used for gaming, the other is just to give more real estate when browsing, watching youtube etc.

Many thanks for your advice! I'll probably try and pick whatever is recommended up off adverts or the like.

PC is getting a bit dated, but not worth a full rebuild yet.
    Operating System
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.20GHz 37 °C
    Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
    RAM
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 824MHz (9-9-9-24)
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Maximus IV Extreme (LGA1155) 22 °C
    Graphics
    DELL 2407WFP (1920x1200@59Hz)
    DELL 2407WFP (1920x1200@59Hz)
    4096MB AMD R290X 94°C
    Hard Drives
    256GB SAMSUNG EVO 860 SATA Device (SSD)
    1863GB Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166 ATA Device (SATA) 22 °C
    Optical Drives
    DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
    Audio