Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump is the President Mark IV (Read Mod Warning in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Mc Connell probably demanding Trump pushes through hardiman or kethledge as I type.

That's what I'm thinking. McConnell knew that there were problems with Kavanaugh and predicted that it would be difficult to get him confirmed. He just wants a conservative on the court and a judge without such skeletons would have just breezed through the process given the numbers.

I don't think McConnell will be too happy with Trump right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Christy42 wrote: »
    I don't see this hurting Republicans. We will 10 more Trump scandals by the elections. Nothing will get proven either way, how could it. Republicans didn't care about Trump's accusations so they won't care here.

If they're smart, they will. It's not about proof, it's about credibility.

This is a credible allegation and if the republicans simply dismiss it and push through the nomination without even the appearance of giving it a second thought then it will cost them in November, particularly among women voters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

That's what I'm thinking. McConnell knew that there were problems with Kavanaugh and predicted that it would be difficult to get him confirmed. He just wants a conservative on the court and a judge without such skeletons would have just breezed through the process given the numbers.

I don't think McConnell will be too happy with Trump right now.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/07/us/politics/trump-mcconnell-supreme-court.html

Its absurd as Trump actually likes both guys especially Hardiman whose background he thought was fascinating. I think the only slight concern is Hardiman is considered relatively liberal so the hard liners may moan, but I think Mitch and even Trump would be able to whip them into shape.

The fear for Mitch is Trump may go for Barrett who would be near impossible to confirm, but Trump would love the fall out that such a nomination would cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,825 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

As to the Texas house question, it is my intent to fairly quickly look into solar panel installation to see if it is worthwhile. Unlike my current place in California, I have no intention of leaving the Texas house for a couple of decades, which results in solar being worth considering economically. Currently rebates in San Antonio go up to $25,000 or 50%, depending on which is lower, plus the federal tax credit, so it seems to make sense to look at. There might be one or two other incentives, but since the offer to buy hasn’t been accepted yet, I haven’t looked into the specifics.

How will the tariff on imported solar panels. imposed to protect US solar Panel Co jobs, affect you if you choose to buy them? I recall from the time it became an issue some months back that the US Co's were reliant on imports of material from China to make panels in the US, let alone the import of panels hitting the US Co's share of the market in the US.

everlast75 wrote: »
    You know the sh1t gets real when this is what KAH has to say about it..

Kellyanne Conway on Fox: Kavanugh accuser Christine Blasey Ford "should not be ignored and should not be insulted. She should be heard."

Granted - that is what a normal, human response should be. But this is KAH and so I for one, am stunned..

Maybe she's looking, as a woman and not a GOP'er, at the possible fact that an alleged sex offender would be sitting on the USSC deciding on cases where the rulings would be final and decided in the interests of actual natural justice things the process of nomination should go on the back-burner for now. I'm supposing that that same question [what if we put a sex-offender on the USSC] may be on the minds of the GOP members of the Senate committee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Everytime I see something about Don Jr, I can't help but think of Patrick Bateman from American Psycho

RIGOLO wrote: »
    Kavanaugh will fight this all the way.
    I dont see him stepping aside. He wont taint a distinguished career by letting this accusation go unchallenged.

In his hearings he came across as someone who had admired the Supreme Court, understood its significance and was more than happy to take all the barbs and even verbal attacks on his family to take his seat on it . With all that he aint going to let this alleged attack destroy his one and only chance to get a SCOTUS seat for life.

And Im expecting another masterclass from Chuck Grassley and the other senior and experienced GOP Senate Judicial Committee members to navigate thru this . Trump will lap this up, use it as ammo for his tweets and fight for his guy to get appointed. It sure will be interesting.

Diane Feinstein has done what she does best, enabling the opposition, this has back fired on her completely . Similar to how she led the DNC to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in the 2016 Presidential election, she has blown it again. She comes out looking really bad for having withheld this info and the timing of its release, she will get slaughtered by her constituents in an already tight California senate race.

If she had really wanted to derail the appointment , I think the best time to launch this bombshell would have been during the hearings, disrupt them then, it would have forced a postponement , thrown it into disarray and would even have given the Dems time to read the 42,000 pages they were dumped with (by the way did they ever get through them)

Either way Feinsten has shown once again shes not cut out for modern political landscape. Heres hoping she maintains her top spot within they DNC, they aint going anywhere fast with her at the helm.

What about Kelly-Anne Conway's contribution to this, in respect to the allegation made against Kavanaugh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I must be gone incredibly cynical in that I am still confident the reps will try brazen this out and get him confirmed.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

I must be gone incredibly cynical in that I am still confident the reps will try brazen this out and get him confirmed.

They seem paralysed. It might only take a McCain-like voice to start it, this has gotten out of hand even by their standards. But I don't know if they have any strong voices left. Collins might be able to if she wanted but it'd look a bit unconvincing at this point.

But yeah, I could see them brazening it out. I think November will punish them for it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Kavanaugh saying he wasn't at the party where the alleged assault took place.

This seems risky. As far as I know the accuser doesn't recall the precise year this happened. So how can Kavanaugh confidently confirm he was never there in the first place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

Pelvis wrote: »
    Kavanaugh saying he wasn't at the party where the alleged assault took place.

This seems risky. As far as I know the accuser doesn't recall the precise year this happened. So how can Kavanaugh confidently confirm he was never there in the first place?

Surely a judge wouldn't fall into such a dumb trap of his own making O.o

There's times I can only attribute the astounding lack of judgement and weapons-grade idiot-ball moments of those around him to the awesome power of Trump's stupidity-field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Trump says he's open to a "full process" regarding the allegations of assault against judge Bret Kavanagh. It's strange to hear trump saying that given his own history of allegations. I mean his comments and those of KAC this morning sound strangely correct for how these allegations should be addressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,631 ✭✭✭✭Water John

No doubt McConnell has told him, that he has problems and its the least Murkowski and Collins will demand.

Mitch McConnell was on the floor of the senate asking why senator Feinstein is only bringing up the allegations now. Can no GOP member of congress read what the woman making the accusation said ? She asked it to be that way.

Water John wrote: »
    No doubt McConnell has told him, that he has problems and its the least Murkowski and Collins will demand.
    Told who ? Kavanagh ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭VonZan

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Trump says he's open to a "full process" regarding the allegations of assault against judge Bret Kavanagh. It's strange to hear trump saying that given his own history of allegations. I mean his comments and those of KAC this morning sound strangely correct for how these allegations should be addressed.

Because he knows that allegations from 30+ years ago won't hold up especially considering that this is only being brought to light now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

VonZan wrote: »
    Because he knows that allegations from 30+ years ago won't hold up especially considering that this is only being brought to light now.

Really?

Look at the Roy Moore case. The vast majority of allegations were from 40 odd years ago and cost him his senate seat in Alabama. Trump pushed ahead and endorsed him and the GOP didn't insist he pull out of the race and they lost what was a certain GOP senate seat.

McConnell is throwing the blame across on the Dems it this nomination stalls. But it suits McConnell just fine as Kavanaugh wasn't his preferred candidate any way.
    I believe Murkowski and Collins will already have informed McConnell of their doubts and what might satisfy them. They'll want and are getting a full public hearing from both the accuser and the accused. If testimony doesn't go Kavanaugh's way, he will offer to step aside.
    What McConnell is saying for public/GOP consumption means diddly squat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

It's not looking too good. Both Trump and McConnell don't look too happy. As the great Lord Bucket Head once proclaimed about the upcoming Brexit, this will be a shitshow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ah the old 'why didn't go to the cops' argument. You'd have to be monumentally naive to think the Democrats aren't using this approach as a weapon - but then you'd also want to be pretty callous and politically naive not to call pause over a lifetime nomination for a Supreme Court judge, if a potential crime of this nature is in his past.

The length of time it took place is immaterial, as is the time it took for the accusation to surface: which, as has been recorded, was during couples therapy in 2012 when Christine Ford revealed to her husband what happened in her youth. The tapes are there. There's a whole separate thread as to why women don't always report (attempted) rape to the police, but assuming she tried to just move on with her life, what else would happen when the man from a past attempted to be forgotten suddenly appears in all the newscasts & outlets? I believe she wrote to Dianne Feinstein - though IIRC the senator sat on the letter.

You're right about one thing: this won't hold up because the Republicans desperately want this nomination to go through; they'll fight, fight dirty and if it means this woman & her family's name is nuked into the ground as a result, it will happen. It's seen time and again what happens a lone female voice that goes up against a rapey political figure.

• Advertisement

What does the passage of time have to do with the ability of the allegations to hold up ? Either they are true or they aren't ? Time makes it harder as it does with anything in life but it doesn't mean they aren't true.

Senator Susan Collins isn't happy and wants to hear both parties story in public. And she said if it transpires that he Kavanagh wasn't telling the truth that would be disqualifying in her mind.

Michael Flynn is going to trial at the end of November.

That blocks Trump trying to fire Mueller or Sessions after the mid terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,930 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Those apprentice tapes with the N word are apparently now in the hands of Ronan Farrow...

Tick tock tick tock...

Those apprentice tapes with the N word are apparently now in the hands of Ronan Farrow...

Tick tock tick tock...

Really ? That's interesting I suppose but this isn't a normal person or presidency so will it make a bit of difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭VonZan

What does the passage of time have to do with the ability of the allegations to hold up ? Either they are true or they aren't ? Time makes it harder as it does with anything in life but it doesn't mean they aren't true.

Senator Susan Collins isn't happy and wants to hear both parties story in public. And she said if it transpires that he Kavanagh wasn't telling the truth that would be disqualifying in her mind.

The passage of time has a detrimental afect on prosecution rates; that's simply common knowledge. You even contradict yourself in your third sentence.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make as you disagree with me, ask me questions and then proceed to answer your questions yourself. Obviously if the allegations are true, not alone should he not get near the surpreme court, he should be prosecuted but that does not mean that he will.

I don't really think it will matter to Trump if it's Kavanaugh or another right wing Christian anyway. If they want to do something like overturn Roe v Wade surely they can just find someone in the mould of Kavanaugh to fill the spot.

I'm sure Trump was only interested in protecting his own back, in picking Kavanaugh. Almost all accept it will be a conservative voice, whoever is nominated. As such, it doesn't have to be Kavanaugh.
    If he doesn't come clean out of this, he steps aside.

THE WHITE HOUSE

Office of the Press Secretary

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

September 17, 2018

*Statement from the Press Secretary*

At the request of a number of committees of Congress, and for reasons of transparency, the President has directed the Office of the Director of National Intelligence and the Department of Justice (including the FBI) to provide for the immediate declassification of the following materials: (1) pages 10-12 and 17-34 of the June 2017 application to the FISA court in the matter of Carter W. Page; (2) all FBI reports of interviews with Bruce G. Ohr prepared in connection with the Russia investigation; and (3) all FBI reports of interviews prepared in connection with all Carter Page FISA applications.

In addition, President Donald J. Trump has directed the Department of Justice (including the FBI) to publicly release all text messages relating to the Russia investigation, without redaction, of James Comey, Andrew McCabe, Peter Strzok, Lisa Page, and Bruce Ohr.

*###*

Is trump trying to deflect ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Christy42

The passage of time has a detrimental afect on prosecution rates; that's simply common knowledge. You even contradict yourself in your third sentence.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make as you disagree with me, ask me questions and then proceed to answer your questions yourself. Obviously if the allegations are true, not alone should he not get near the surpreme court, he should be prosecuted but that does not mean that he will.

I don't really think it will matter to Trump if it's Kavanaugh or another right wing Christian anyway. If they want to do something like overturn Roe v Wade surely they can just find someone in the mould of Kavanaugh to fill the spot.
    A new nomination could be delayed till the mid terms. This would likely see a Democratic house.

Then they would be forced to go for a moderate or simply give up the pick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Tick tock tick tock...

until they're out its nothing, I'd still be shocked if they're real.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement