Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump is the President Mark IV (Read Mod Warning in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

RIGOLO wrote: »
    Why would I agree to that. I watched it it was very interesting.

You got your quote from CNBC, wow .... perhaps you should have read the title of the clip.. its Becky Quick who did the interview..

Sure. I didn't actually quote anything from CNBC. I read the reports by Reuters and CNBC. Then I did a little research of my own on the bould Larry. I came to my own conclusions and then posted my opinion. You should try it sometime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

You can base your understanding of Larry Kudlow and the Trump Administration economic program on a single post..

or you could take an hour and actually watch Larry Kudlows speech to the New York Economic Club given 2 days ago.

supply side economics folks ...
    Or, as I have followed Kudlow for years on CNBC, am pleased to supply you with a few links to the MANY articles about Kudlow and how he is consistently, spectacularly wrong.

Here are a couple simple-to-read articles about Kudlow and how routinely wrong he is:http://time.com/money/5197470/trump-pick-kudlow-predictions/
    http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/03/new-trump-economist-kudlow-has-been-wrong-about-everything.html

Oh, here's the effect of supply-side on Kansas. Ugly. https://www.cbpp.org/research/federal-tax/kansas-tax-cut-experience-refutes-economic-growth-predictions-of-trump-tax

And, as an economic adviser, one would HOPE he had a master's in economics, let alone a PHd. Nah. Not Larry - he knew someone who knew someone that got him a gig on CNBC before it was big, is my guess. He's just a sockpuppet for the other discredited supply-siders like Laffer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Kudlow

I especially like this from the Wikipedia entry: "Kudlow became Economics Editor at National Review Online (NRO) in May 2001. In December 2007, NRO published a Kudlow article entitled Bush Boom Continues, in which he asserted the economy would continue to expand for years to come.[9] The Great Recession, the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression, began that month.[10]"

He apparently had a heart attack this year. Perhaps got too close to the POTUS for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Havockk

You can base your understanding of Larry Kudlow and the Trump Administration economic program on a single post..

or you could take an hour and actually watch Larry Kudlows speech to the New York Economic Club given 2 days ago.

supply side economics folks ...

I took one for the team.

Jesus.

He says the US is in midst of an 'economic boom' and 'crushing it'. Ges on to extol the virtues of free trade capitalism before deftly segueing to the defence of government enforced tariffs.

Who is he fooling? Certainly not himself, and all he's selling is kool aid.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Igotadose wrote: »
    Or, as I have followed Kudlow for years on CNBC, am pleased to supply you with a few links to the MANY articles about Kudlow and how he is consistently, spectacularly wrong.

Here are a couple simple-to-read articles about Kudlow and how routinely wrong he is:http://time.com/money/5197470/trump-pick-kudlow-predictions/
    http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/03/new-trump-economist-kudlow-has-been-wrong-about-everything.html

Oh, here's the effect of supply-side on Kansas. Ugly. https://www.cbpp.org/research/federal-tax/kansas-tax-cut-experience-refutes-economic-growth-predictions-of-trump-tax

And, as an economic adviser, one would HOPE he had a master's in economics, let alone a PHd. Nah. Not Larry - he knew someone who knew someone that got him a gig on CNBC before it was big, is my guess. He's just a sockpuppet for the other discredited supply-siders like Laffer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Kudlow

I especially like this from the Wikipedia entry: "Kudlow became Economics Editor at National Review Online (NRO) in May 2001. In December 2007, NRO published a Kudlow article entitled Bush Boom Continues, in which he asserted the economy would continue to expand for years to come.[9] The Great Recession, the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression, began that month.[10]"

He apparently had a heart attack this year. Perhaps got too close to the POTUS for too long.

It seems you didnt watch it either.
    Thats a good thing I guess, the left continue to keep their head in the sand and ignore anything positive, whilst the Trump administration moves on with its economic policy. The left always caught up on the messenger and never interested in the message.

Considering the yuan and Chinese stock market is at near record lows.
    The EU has joined the Trump administration in 3 seperate actions against China at the World Trade Org and every measurable metric for the USA economy is also near record positive highs, it would seem the Trump administration and Larry included are powering ahead. Mnuchin is the main man for econmic policy in the Trump Administration, and my money is with him especially given he was executive producer on one of the great movies ...American Sniper.

Max Foster CNN Talk was very funny today, they were discussing the tariffs..
    Alistair Campbell was shown the trade imbalance between the US and China and he remarked he didnt believe the figures ( I think he thought it was a Trump tweet) Max had to explain to him, actually the figures were correct it was a CNN chart.
    Neo-liberals so quick to pursue their bias they even confuse themselves.
    Neo-liberals so anti-Trump they would happily align with the Chinese regime if it meant they could try and score a point on Trump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,930 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Thats a good thing I guess, the left continue to keep their head in the sand and ignore anything positive, whilst the Trump administration moves on with its economic policy. The left always caught up on the messenger and never interested in the message.

The EU has joined the Trump administration in 3 seperate actions against China at the World Trade Org and every measurable metric for the USA economy is also near record positive highs, it would seem the Trump administration and Larry included are powering ahead. Mnuchin is the main man for econmic policy in the Trump Administration, and my money is with him especially given he was executive producer on one of the great movies ...American Sniper.

Alistair Campbell was shown the trade imbalance between the US and China and he remarked he didnt believe the figures ( I think he thought it was a Trump tweet) Max had to explain to him, actually the figures were correct it was a CNN chart.
    Neo-liberals so anti-Trump they would happily align with the Chinese regime if it meant they could try and score a point on Trump.

Em - what??????

Adam Sandler produced Don't mess with Zohan, so I recommend him for Minister for Defence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Havockk

LOL. If you think this ends well, prepare to be disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I have followed Kudlow for years. He's usually, spectacularly wrong. So, why would I waste my valuable time watching some *more* of his nonsense. His appointment by Trump is one of the worst - not because Kudlow's personally loathsome and corrupt like most of Trump's appointees, but that. he. is. not. any. good.

Do you regularly wager business outcomes based on what movies someone is associated with? Exec producers typically are just financial backers. That seems, well, illogical but hey, you think Kudlow's worth listening to.

Alastair Campbell's an ex-UK Press Secretary. Make of what he thinks what you will. I'd wager, not based on any movies I've produced, that he's not a US citizen. Just guessing, but him being Tony Blairs press secretary...

So, do let me know, why you think Kudlow's to be listened to? I mean, he's been provably wrong so often. You'd be better off listening to a real original supply-side gangster like David Stockman. Have you seen him on Fox?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Christy42

Igotadose wrote: »

You are meant to summarise what points you want to use from that. Maybe point out specific times that back up your point. Otherwise there is little to stop you from posting hours of irrelevant videos to shut down the debate. If you can't point out specific points I am just going to assume you have not watched it either and if you haven't why should I?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Two different headlines from two different networks about what trump said about the FBI potential investigation of the allegations against judge Bret Kavanagh. It seems he either said the FBI doesn't want to investigate the allegations(isn't that the FBIs call to make ?) or he said he doesn't think they should.

Now both aren't helpful or right for a president to say. It's the FBI who will make that determination not the president. And the second of him thinking the FBI shouldn't is again showing his complete lack of understanding of politics and just general norms. A president shouldn't be offering his opinion either way IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

The FBI will only investigate at the request of the White House.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Why do people keep taking the POTUS actions as some sort of misunderstanding of the rules. He knows very much what he is doing and is dong it because he knows he will get away with it.

The 1st time maybe, but this is how many times he has commented on the FBI and their role. If he doesn't know, then there are plenty of people around him that should.

Of course he doesn't want them to investigate, he isn't interested in getting to the bottom of it, he just wants his man to get in. If that means he needs to bypass the separation of powers then so be it.

Of course his supporters will be clapping and cheering, until of course, inevitably at some point, the DNC get back in and then suddenly the norms of the POTUS should be upheld, the POTUS should stay out of way etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Trying to get the bottom of it also, but so much spin from all sides. Its an absolute mess tbh.

Anyhow Collins and Murkowski have said unless Ford testifies they will confirm. I hope she testifies for closure for both sides and I think she will when push comes to shove etc.

https://twitter.com/asymmetricinfo/status/1042098811550789634

If only Trump was held under the same rules. Trump beat HC mainly due to allegations backed up with nothing and has continued to do so ever since in terms of Obama bugging, Witch Hunt etc.

Yet another example of GOP hypocrisy. Unless it is proven then we should set it aside...except for HC who is clearly guilty of everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

They are both testifying in a public hearing Monday aren't they?

Just get it to then and see what happens, likely nothing tbh but anyway.

I will possibly for the first time say, Trump did alright with regard to endorsing the process. He made it easier to have the public testimony next Monday with his words and it was not guaranteed without them. One suspects if he thought there was any risk there he'd have said nothing and I would never give him any benefit of doubt.

Just feel it's important to highlight both he and Conway made the right noises on the issue. The reasons behind that are open to debate. Don't even let it be said I wouldn't give credit where it was due though!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,826 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Given that one of the reasons Don introduced the tax cuts was to get people spending and, by the by, increase tax intake from purchased goods sales. He also decided to increase the federal budget deficit by increasing federal spending. Now it seems logical to me that if the increase in take-home pay doesn't end with it being spent on increased buying, even of high-price items, then the expected/desired increase in tax intake wont happen. If the increase in take-home pay is banked, then that must have an effect as well, loans becoming more available as there's more cash in the vaults.

Is there any evidence that either increased purchases or increased loans are happening in the US to boost the economy?

If not, where's the extra take-home pay being stashed?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

In some lighter news that could only be possible in a Trump presidency, it is now being alleged by famous adult-entertainment star and noted Trump arse slapper Stormy Daniels, that Trump has an odd shaped penis.

I'm not even sure I should even be posting this in Politics but I guess these are the times in which we live.

I guess it's only fair that Nintendo get a chance to respond:

https://twitter.com/nintendolife/status/1042118244239400960

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Leroy42 wrote: »
    If only Trump was held under the same rules. Trump beat HC mainly due to allegations backed up with nothing and has continued to do so ever since in terms of Obama bugging, Witch Hunt etc.

Yet another example of GOP hypocrisy. Unless it is proven then we should set it aside...except for HC who is clearly guilty of everything
    Amy Siskind

Verified account

@Amy_Siskind
    Follow Follow @Amy_Siskind
    More
    Dr. Ford is getting death threats, and she and her family have gone into hiding.
    Is this the opportunity and fame some on the right were speaking of?

https://twitter.com/Amy_Siskind/status/1042179736020176896

If this incident never happened why would Kavanaugh and Trump supporters resort to death threats?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Probably just some random loons with the death threats, how that proves Kavanaugh guilty I dunno.

It's been an absolute **** show this, both sides clearly don't care about the accuse and are both just grifting. So few balanced takes I have seen, just pandering to there own bases. American politics is ****ed.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Probably just some random loons with the death threats, how that proves Kavanaugh guilty I dunno.

It's been an absolute **** show this, both sides clearly don't care about the accuse and are both just grifting. So few balanced takes I have seen, just pandering to there own bases. American politics is ****ed.

Tbf the reps are behaving reprehensibly by comparison.

Trump's own lawyer said

"This is utter nonsense. This is another delaying tactic. She really doesn’t want to testify because when she does she’s going to look like the loon that she is. She may very well believe everything that she’s saying and that is one of the signs of lunacy, believing something that isn’t real."

Graham questioned who paid for her lie detector test, Hatch said she is "mixed up". Plus they have history in treating an accuser like sh1t when it comes to supreme court justice hearings.

For the record, i don't believe her. I don't believe him. I do however believe there are credible charges her that warrant investigation. I don't trust the Reps to handle that investigation.

The fact that the Reps only want the two of them to give evidence does stink. The fact that they won't postpone stinks. The fact that they don't want the FBI to check into matters stink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,376 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

everlast75 wrote: »

Trump's own lawyer said

"This is utter nonsense. This is another delaying tactic. She really doesn’t want to testify because when she does she’s going to look like the loon that she is. She may very well believe everything that she’s saying and that is one of the signs of lunacy, believing something that isn’t real.

Ironic to say this given who pays his wages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Well, that looks like that so.

She won't be testifying without an FBI investigation and they won't investigate unless Trump asks them.

It's powerful from her in terms of her credibility but considering the comments from the reps and the president's lawyers etc it would be a surprise to see the WH request the FBI investigation.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

I don't see how they could not initiate an investigation. That is what should have been done in the first place and is best for all parties involved. How can the accuser and accused be interviewed without all the facts being gathered first?

The WH and republicans tried to get around this by having the committee sit on Monday, with the appearance of due process. But the accuser isn't happy with that. So now they are left with two options, properly investigate the matter or essentially ignore a credible accusation of attempted rape.

I don't know how they could get away with the latter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Pelvis wrote: »
    I don't know how they could get away with the latter.

Who's going to stop them exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Well, that looks like that so.

She won't be testifying without an FBI investigation and they won't investigate unless Trump asks them.

It's powerful from her in terms of her credibility but considering the comments from the reps and the president's lawyers etc it would be a surprise to see the WH request the FBI investigation.

I presume that she could be subpoenaed to appear? If that happens though, I think it would open the door to demands that Judge get subpoenaed too.

I can totally see why she doesn't want to go to the committee.

From their statements, mentioned in posts previously, clearly the GOP have already made their minds up on this and the WH has already spent the last two days prepping Kavanaugh. She would be facing a hostile situation, god knows what sort of questions they are going to throw at her.

And for what? In all probability, unless she turns up with a video and signed confession the committee are not going to make any judgment anyway. One only has to look at the farce that was the Nunes committee to see how the GOP will handle things to try to twist it in their favor. So she will be publicly ridiculed, and gain nothing at all out of it.

How any person can continue to support Trump and the GOP after how they have handled this, Trumps alleged and proven affairs, his statements on how he treats women, Roy Moore. It sickening that people can put the likes or SCOTUS and gun rights ahead of issues like that.

Who's going to stop them exactly?

Hopefully a few rogue Reps when it comes to the vote. There's a slim chance they might discover a conscience

Hopefully a few rogue Reps when it comes to the vote. There's a slim chance they might discover a conscience

Nope, SCOTUS is a lifetime appointment. That is far too serious to let something like conscience to become a factor.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Nope, SCOTUS is a lifetime appointment. That is far too serious to let something like conscience to become a factor.

Anita Hill changed 40 odd votes...

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Another great success for the Trump Administration Foreign policy.

And to think we had to listen to all the anti-Trumpers say he had been played for a fool and he got nothing out of the first meeting.
    Its a peace negotiation, play the long game.

A historic milestone in bringing North Korea in from the cold.
    The second day of a 3 day summit, which is the 3rd summit of hte year.
    Signing an agreement which will lead to further dismantling of the NK nuclear facilities.

North and South Korea commit to 'era of no war'
    https://edition.cnn.com/2018/09/18/asia/north-korea-south-korea-summit-intl/index.html

The two countries also pledged to:
    Submit a joint bid to host the 2032 Summer Olympics.
    Create rail and road links between North and South within the next year.
    Stop military drills aimed at each other along the Military Demarcation Line, which divides the two countries, by November 1.
    Remove 11 guard posts in the demilitarized zone by the end of the year.
    Normalize the Kaesong Industrial complex and Kumgang tourism project as soon as the conditions allow.

I dont expect the anti-Trumpers to give the administration credit for this, no surprise there.

Trump Administration continues its march forward, America booming , trade imbalance being addressed and foreign policy bringing NK to the table... all huge wins and message for the GOP candidates come the mid-terms.

• Advertisement

Anita Hill changed 40 odd votes...

Times are very different now. I am not too up to speed on the exact nature of politics in that time, but we can clearly see that the GOP have moved massively away from any sense of conscience.

At every turn they have picked party over conscience.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement