Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump is the President Mark IV (Read Mod Warning in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,606 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Pelvis wrote: »
    Looks like Professor Ford is going to go ahead and testify next week.

A commentator on MSNBC made an interesting prediction. He thinks Kavanaugh won't go ahead with it, implying his eagerness to testify is a bit of a bluff, in the hope she wouldn't testify.

Obviously be won't want to potentially lie under oath, but there's also some odd entries of a sexual nature in his yearbook from school, which doesn't look good now, and which he may not want to be questioned on by Democrats.

I think he will testify, but you never know! One things for certain, it'll be a media circus!!

It's interesting alright. I know there is a policy to not do youtube dumps on here, but the clip of him from a college speech he gave back in the day in this Samantha B piece is quite illuminating & would be in line with the point you're making around entries in school yearbooks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

That’s not his department as a judge, and especially not at the Supreme Court level, where matters of fact very rarely come up. (That is usually dealt with by jury trial at lower level). His role is to ensure that process is followed and that laws are interpreted correctly. If someone is guilty as sin, but correct processes were not followed in the prosecution, he, and any other reputable judge, would have no problem with releasing the charged man. Truth isn’t supposed to matter to SCOTUS, only law.

His opinion on the efficacy of the American justice system is, of course, utterly central to his current position as a judge and potential life-long position on the SCOTUS. The question is not about him adjudicating matters of fact, it is about his position on whether the US justice system is capable of doing justice by uncovering the truth and indeed does so on a general basis. Countless cases are taken and can been forthseen relating to racial bias, police brutality, vote suppression, discrimination, and on and on. These cases would all involve a consideration on whether he had, to put it bluntly, faith in the system.

Imagine appointing someone to the Supreme Court of the US, who generally felt that the US justice system, in its myriad forms and limbs, was incapable of finding the truth? It would be absurd. So exploring and testing Kavanaugh's feelings on the question is entirely appropriate and sensible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,635 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Democrat House member says on CNN, Kavanaugh could be examined after his election to the Supreme Court, whenever the Dems take the Houses.
    It will be hanging over him unless it is fully dealt with, now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

According to George Stephanopolous, who worked with Michael Cohen in the past (Dukakis campaign), a source who we know isn't the special counsel's office but knows about the meeting... fúck it, we know it's Cohen. The source is Cohen.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/michael-cohen-spoke-mueller-team-hours-asked-russia/story?id=57959664
    The special counsel’s questioning of Cohen, one of the president’s closest associates over the past decade, has focused primarily on all aspects of Trump's dealings with Russia -- including financial and business dealings and the investigation into alleged collusion with Russia by the Trump campaign and its surrogates to influence the outcome of the 2016 presidential election, sources familiar with the matter tell ABC News.

Investigators were also interested in knowing, the sources say, whether Trump or any of his associates discussed the possibility of a pardon with Cohen.

We knew this was going to happen but it's nice to know that it actually is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A commentator on MSNBC made an interesting prediction. He thinks Kavanaugh won't go ahead with it, implying his eagerness to testify is a bit of a bluff, in the hope she wouldn't testify.

Obviously be won't want to potentially lie under oath, but there's also some odd entries of a sexual nature in his yearbook from school, which doesn't look good now, and which he may not want to be questioned on by Democrats.

I think he will testify, but you never know! One things for certain, it'll be a media circus!!

I can't presume to know her personal situation, but one'd imagine she has been pulled through the ringer already. I'm guessing whatever social media she uses is a sh*tshow at the very least.

Full honesty, based on the information known and how it came to pass via therapy, I'm inclined to believe her story; so at this stage it's probably a case of "In for a penny..." and that she might as well testify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

The Rs cant win if Ford testifies. That footage of them grilling Anita Hill is disgraceful. If they give a repeat performance next week, they might be able to steamroll Kavanaugh into the Supreme Court but they could end up losing control of the Senate, Kavanaugh will always have an asterisk beside his name and the Dems will pursue an endless investigation into the circumstances surroundings his nomination. This is a disaster for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Christy42

jooksavage wrote: »

The Rs cant win if Ford testifies. That footage of them grilling Anita Hill is disgraceful. If they give a repeat performance next week, they might be able to steamroll Kavanaugh into the Supreme Court but they could end up losing control of the Senate, Kavanaugh will always have an asterisk beside his name and the Dems will pursue an endless investigation into the circumstances surroundings his nomination. This is a disaster for everyone.
    I would be willing to bet good money the questions the Rs will ask will focus entirely on her. They will cut short any mention of Kavanagh. This will not be a fair hearing as there is complete bias.

I doubt they know the truth of what happened (only a few people do) but they are not going to take any chances by getting close to the truth.

You have to feel for her. I hope serious resources are being deployed to hunt down any and all involved in the death threats and that they have the book thrown at them. That sort have no place in a functioning democracy.

Roy Moore has come out in Kavanagh's defense in a move which had to have Kavanagh himself face palming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

jooksavage wrote: »

Whether he is guilty or not we don't know . You can think he is innocent and that this is political stirring from the Dems and of course you believe her and think The Republicans are disgracing themselves by rushing it through, but God I hate those who say they believe either theories 100%, as if they have a ****ing clue merely because there own bubble tweeted truth bombs one way or other.

I do think its a strange hill to die on for the Republicans, I know the seat is important, but I expected Mitch would have told him to drop out and he would force one of his own people through which would save them a lot of hassle.

A bit off-topic but I can't stand Michael Moore. He has always struck me as a self-serving shyster.

Yes and no.

I think his voice is relevant because he does represent the voting block which got behind Trump and to an extend Sanders which few others in the media do. He did also say Trump would win and there would be some who initially would love the FU that it would send but slowly realise they have been conned. Pretty spot on tbf.

He's somewhat biased I suppose and over exposed, but I'l take him over the think progress bores and Krassentein brothers etc who have literally nothing of value or interest to say but clog up social media with there banal takes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Christy42 wrote: »
    I would be willing to bet good money the questions the Rs will ask will focus entirely on her. They will cut short any mention of Kavanagh. This will not be a fair hearing as there is complete bias.

I doubt they know the truth of what happened (only a few people do) but they are not going to take any chances by getting close to the truth.

You have to feel for her. I hope serious resources are being deployed to hunt down any and all involved in the death threats and that they have the book thrown at them. That sort have no place in a functioning democracy.

Roy Moore has come out in Kavanagh's defense in a move which had to have Kavanagh himself face palming.

Something very tragic about people who send death threats, Kavanaugh's missus getting them also along with Collins and as you said Ford.

How do you get so far lost you'd send threats to Ford or Kanaugh's wife?:(

What wretched live's indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,635 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Concerns being raised about Kavanaugh only selected certain type of women, like models, for clerking. A rather strange thing
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/sep/20/brett-kavanaugh-supreme-court-yale-amy-chua

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,930 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

His friend has actually said it wasn't Kavanaugh, it was someone else.

But.....

He went ahead and named him! I'm no lawyer but I would expect a hefty lawsuit.

And by the by, if she was confused as to who it was... wouldn't that make even more sense that an investigation proceed, to clear his name??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Water John wrote: »
    Concerns being raised about Kavanaugh only selected certain type of women, like models, for clerking. A rather strange thing
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/sep/20/brett-kavanaugh-supreme-court-yale-amy-chua
    That is a strange article indeed - and Amy Chua's husband also has allegations swirling about him, while she's the one who seems to be taking the blame for giving this information to her students in the first place - what the heck is going on there?

What's the betting she gets hammered for being complicit, while the men get off any actual charges due to lack of evidence? :mad:

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,725 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Water John wrote: »

By a pair of wildly self promoting odious types. Whose daughter clerks for Kavanaugh. It'd be great if Yale bounced the both of them.

Amy Chua's tiger mom book was offensive garbage, but hey, she's still on faculty at Yale. Classic example of why American higher ed is in the bad shape it is, lifetime job appointments and cushy perks of tenure.

But, that's not about Trump, sorry for the digression.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Wow.. the Trump Administration is getting it DONE. Not just domestically but internationally. Not just cleaning up the swamp in America but globally too.
    US Treasury under Steve Mnuchin and Assistant Secretary Marshall Billingslea are crushing it.

And all this under the leadership of Donald Trump, as most of these actions are pursuant to EO Executive Orders.

The Danske Russian money laundering scandal shows how broad the reach of the US Treasury is. Well shows how broad the reach is when you have a President and a Treasury Secretary who are acting in US interests.

US Treasury officials travelled to Estonia in March 2018, a few months later we get the exposure of the 200BILLION Russian money laundering fraud by Danske bank via its Estonia branch. Obviously they US Treasury had been one of the leads in pushing the buttons on this operation.
    September 13 US Treasury assistant secretary issues his statement before the Senate Financial committee regarding some of these matters and a few days later the Chairman of Danske resigns.

Interestingly , heres one for the tin-hat brigades ..
    If you put ‘steve mnuchin russian money laundering’ into Google you get a lot of vague stories of innuendo etc from early 2017 some dating back to 2016.
    You don’t get any of the stories from the last 4 months of actions taken by US Treasury under Steve Mnuchin AGAINST Russian money laundering…. Interesting eh, must be the algorithm acting up again…

And as to those who think its not relevant to this thread.
    Id have to disagree. These actions are under EO Executive Orders from Donald Trump President of the United States… That’s is the thread title after all ..

This is a great read, shows hte actions being taken against Russia, and North Korea. A great strategy by the Trump administration, public diplomatic channels and behinf the scenes pressure pressure pressure...
    Statement of Assistant Secretary Marshall Billingslea Before the U.S. House
    Committee on Foreign Affairs
    https://home.treasury.gov/news/press-releases/sm480

Since January 2017, Treasury has sanctioned 212 Russian-related individuals and entities for a broad range of sanctionable conduct.
    Treasury has imposed blocking sanctions on 14 Russian banks and sectoral sanctions on 124 Russian financial institutions and 50% or more-owned subsidiaries. In the energy sector, Treasury has imposed blocking sanctions on 20 Russian firms and sectoral sanctions on additional 80 Russian entities.

April 6, we designated RUSAL, the second-largest producer and supplier of aluminum in the world, for being owned or controlled by EN+, which is owned or controlled by the Russian oligarch Oleg Deripaska. As a result of our designations, Deripaska’s estimated net worth has dropped by more than 50%, and the share price of EN+ fell from $12.20 to $5.40 on the London Stock Exchange following its designation.

On the same day, we also designated the oligarch Viktor Vekselberg, as well as other companies he owns or controls. Viktor Vekselberg’s net worth has dropped an estimated $3 billion, foreign governments have launched investigations in response to his designation, and he has had assets frozen across multiple jurisdictions. Furthermore, Vekselberg’s Renova Group was forced to divest from ventures in Switzerland and Italy.

On February 13, 2018, Treasury’s FinCEN issued a finding pursuant to Section 311 of the USA PATRIOT Act that Latvia-based ABLV Bank AS (ABLV) was a financial institution of primary money laundering concern.

Pursuant to this finding, FinCEN proposed the imposition of a prohibition on U.S. financial institutions from opening or maintaining correspondent accounts for, or on behalf of, ABLV. (edit ABLV is gone, shutdown, kaput)

The press releases from US Government Departments are the best sources.
    Thats why the main stream media dont carry them much. The anti-Trumpers dont want to click on them, they prefer their anti-Trump click bait headline, something to confirm their bias and somethign that just keeps the advertising revenues rolling in for the neo-left liberal media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

RIGOLO wrote: »
    Wow.. the Trump Administration is getting it DONE. Not just domestically but internationally. Not just cleaning up the swamp in America but globally too.
    US Treasury under Steve Mnuchin and Assistant Secretary Marshall Billingslea are crushing it.

And all this under the leadership of Donald Trump, as most of these actions are pursuant to EO Executive Orders.

The Danske Russian money laundering scandal shows how broad the reach of the US Treasury is. Well shows how broad the reach is when you have a President and a Treasury Secretary who are acting in US interests.

US Treasury officials travelled to Estonia in March 2018, a few months later we get the exposure of the 200BILLION Russian money laundering fraud by Danske bank via its Estonia branch. Obviously they US Treasury had been one of the leads in pushing the buttons on this operation.
    September 13 US Treasury assistant secretary issues his statement before the Senate Financial committee regarding some of these matters and a few days later the Chairman of Danske resigns.

If you put ‘steve mnuchin russian money laundering’ into Google you get a lot of vague stories of innuendo etc from early 2017 some dating back to 2016.
    You don’t get any of the stories from the last 4 months of actions taken by US Treasury under Steve Mnuchin AGAINST Russian money laundering…. Interesting eh, must be the algorithm acting up again…

And as to those who think its not relevant to this thread.
    Id have to disagree. These actions are under EO Executive Orders from Donald Trump President of the United States… That’s is the thread title after all ..

This is a great read, shows hte actions being taken against Russia, and North Korea. A great strategy by the Trump administration, public diplomatic channels and behinf the scenes pressure pressure pressure...
    Statement of Assistant Secretary Marshall Billingslea Before the U.S. House
    Committee on Foreign Affairs
    https://home.treasury.gov/news/press-releases/sm480

Thats why the main stream media dont carry them much. The anti-Trumpers dont want to click on them, they prefer their anti-Trump click bait headline, something to confirm their bias and somethign that just keeps the advertising revenues rolling in for the neo-left liberal media.

I don't even read your posts anymore. Its a pity that someone who's pro trump doesn't engage but just bombs the thread with this press release type stuff.

jjpep wrote: »
    I don't even read your posts anymore. Its a pity that someone who's pro trump doesn't engage but just bombs the thread with this press release type stuff.

Agreed.

And to think - the same people accused Dems of fawning over Obama. The irony...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

It's all they have. I'm surprised they are still going with the "drain the swamp" line considering how many in the campaign have been indicted and how many in the administration have been shown to be incompetent or corrupt. But there are so many losses, any "win" has to be exaggerated to fullest effect, even if it is just basic competence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

You're not even trying anymore

Story broke overnight that Cohen is co-operating with SDNY and Mueller re Trump, even though he made no plea agreement to do so. He was intimately involved in the Trump Moscow project, so this is a big development.

At this stage we have his National Security Advisor, Campaign Chair, Assistant Campaign Chair and Foreign Adviser all pleading guilty and co-operating.

We have his personal lawyer pleading guilty, Trump being an un-indicted co-conspirator and co-operating fully.

We have the White House Chief Counsel, Don McGahn co-operating with Mueller.

We have the Trump CFO Alan Weisselberg, co-operating on the basis of immunity.

We have David Pecker of the National Enquirer co-operating on the basis of immunity.

I don't think I've missed anyone?

If there is any dirt on Trump, it will be found.*

*That's not having any regard to Clifford and Zervos cases - both Plaintiff's wishing to depose Trump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

everlast75 wrote: »
    Story broke overnight that Cohen is co-operating with SDNY and Mueller re Trump, even though he made no plea agreement to do so.

Ooof. That's not good for Cohen - cooperating without a deal usually means they have so much on him that they don't have to give him a deal yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I'm not sure I understand what their connection with Ireland is that they post here about Trump - is boards.ie a big battleground for US elections?

Or are they just an Irish person obsessed with Trump?

Both equally confusing to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I'm not sure I understand what their connection with Ireland is that they post here about Trump - is boards.ie a big battleground for US elections?

There's the odd American. One of them lay dormant for 11 years and then rose from the dead to post pro-trump stuff. Another posted about American football for a bit and then started posting about trump.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I don't know. As soon as I read rigolo I picture cheerleaders running out onto a playing field with their pompoms and an announcement that there will be a brief intermission and play will be resumed shortly. Which is odd, because I don't follow any sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

I don't know. As soon as I read rigolo I picture cheerleaders running out onto a playing field with their pompoms and an announcement that there will be a brief intermission and play will be resumed shortly. Which is odd, because I don't follow any sports.

I picture the North Korean news lady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,829 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Wow.

[/B]https://home.treasury.gov/news/press-releases/sm480

It's more interesting to note that the Danske Bank internal investigation began in 2012 when it became aware of dodgy foreign customer accounts in Estonia, with money coming in from Moldova & other countries. The fact that it is Russian citizens who were washing the money is even more interesting. The fact is that the investigated money is the property of very rich Russian people who can't use it in Ruble-form in Russia because of the sums involved. The fact that the US treasury got involved seems to indicate that the Euro currency was NOT the only continental one being abused and attacked.

The US treasury people look after one currency only and the praise for their work isn't down to the Admin in Washington. The public servants in the treasury would do the job regardless of whom is in the Oval Office [or so I imagine US citizens would like to think]. Putting that fact alongside the fact that the US Admin head is very pally with the Russian Admin head [one of the richest men in Russia - not bad for a middling-grade retired public servant] makes for interesting reading.

It's a very unfortunate coincidental fact for Don that New York City and Florida Trump properties were purchased by Russians at the price of US dollar 100 Million +, creating a link between Russian money and the Trump family business prior to him becoming President.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

In the latest 'draining the swamp' hypocrisy, looks like the FEMA chief is under investigation; like other misuses of this type it's all quite lowball, but it's another case of a dept. head completely uninterested in operating by the catchphrase principles of this administration.

"Federal Emergency Management Agency Administrator Brock Long is the target of an ongoing Department of Homeland Security inspector general investigation into whether he misused government vehicles during his commutes to North Carolina from Washington, according to three people familiar with the matter, including current and former administration officials."

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/09/13/trump-fema-administrator-under-investigation-821231

The same Brock Long was on TV a few nights back, defending Trumps claim the 3,000 deaths in Porto Rico was a Democrat stunt, with the bizarre suggestion that the numbers were being padded by the increase in 'spousal abuse'

https://twitter.com/MeetThePress/status/1041340547250696194

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

eire4 wrote: »
    The FBI angle is especially interesting I think. My understanding is if a person lies in questioning to the FBI it is a felony and you likely go to jail. So it is very interesting to me that one person wants to involve and talk to the FBI while the other side and his friend do not.

When Anita Hill made accusations against Charles Thomas in 1991 the FBI investigated - in fact the first that Thomas knew about the accusations was when the FBI knocked on his door.

There is no reason for the Republicans to block an FBI investigation - apart from the fact that they are trying to ram through the nomination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Theres not material change. Its all he said she said , click bait stuff
    It was all pretty much out there when I made my comments on the issue.

Lets see what next week brings.
    For now Im sticking with my bet on Grassley and the GOP to navigate thru this , for Kavanaugh to fight it and for the confirmation to go ahead as planned, but I think I already said that ..twice.

The only response that I have seen in relation to these allegations that hasn't been couched in a politcal football is this one - and I think it hits the nail on the head and demonstrates the nature of the actions and intent of the Republicans in this situation.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I picture the North Korean news lady.

Mod note:

Play the ball not the man please. Dr. Fuzzenstein and BabyCheeses, you must be civil to other posters to post in the politics forum.

If anyone has a problem with another poster:
    1. If they breach the rules of the forum, report and don't respond;
    2. If they don't or you don't want to engage with them any more, use the ignore function.

• Advertisement

negotiations are ongoing re Professor Ford's testimony. It may not now be Monday.

It is quite telling that the Reps are wanting to appear to be reasonable in their approach. There is even talk of them having a female prosecutor talk to Ford, rather than the old white men brigade. If they were not worried about the mid-terms, there would be no talk - it would be their way or the high way.

Needless to say, them refusing even a cursory FBI investigation is ridiculous, but they are still wary of all other optics.

More and more info coming out about Kavanaugh now. It's funny - the "pro-life Christian" folk appear to have no problem with who they support being accused of sexual assault. It is clear that if you get Roe Vs Wade overturned, it doesn't matter what you do. That goes for Trump too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement