Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump is the President Mark IV (Read Mod Warning in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

the FBI will judge whether to prosecute based on her allegations

Eh, no they won't. The committee has declined to ask the FBI to investigate. FYI - Ford wants an investigation. Kavanaugh doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,640 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think the Prosecutor is going through the motions of questioning lines. She can't go hard either as that will totally lose the case for Kavanaugh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭Sassygirl1999

jooksavage wrote: »
    Eh, no they won't. The committee has declined to ask the FBI to investigate. FYI - Ford wants an investigation. Kavanaugh doesn't.

FBI refused to investigate previously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,830 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

the FBI will judge whether to prosecute based on her allegations

Only if there is credible evidence which will stand up to cross-examination in court. Given your post above and your earlier one, it seems the FBi either found there was no case or one not found provable in a court. This is a different sitting solely about the judge being a fit person to sit in judgement of others on the USSC bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Is prosecutor Mitchell on anybody's side? I mean is she there to ascertain an impartial record of the facts, or is her ultimate goal to discredit Ford's version of events?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,640 ✭✭✭✭Water John

FBI didn't refuse. They have to be asked by the WH. They cannot do it of their own violition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

This is a debacle. Grassley is coming across as petty and shifty. The female questioner gambit is a bust. She's attempting to do a cross between the prosecution of a defendant and the duty of care of to a victim. Even if she wasn't so intrinsically ineffective, making her break every 5 minutes - rather than taking all her allotted time at once - stops the build up of any sense of pressure. It also slaughters any continuity in content.

Furthermore, I predict that Kavanaugh will have all the presence of an office chair. I also think that Kavanaugh is an inveterate liar.

Is prosecutor Mitchell on anybody's side? I mean is she there to ascertain an impartial record of the facts, or is her ultimate goal to discredit Ford's version of events?

She's a registered Republican herself and she's there to represent the R men who don't trust themselves not to come across as monsters, as they did when they tore into Anita Hall.

Duck Soup wrote: »
    This is a debacle. Grassley is coming across as petty and shifty. The female questioner gambit is a bust. She's attempting to do a cross between the prosecution of a defendant and the duty of care of to a victim. Even if she wasn't so intrinsically ineffective, making her break every 5 minutes - rather than taking all her allotted time at once - stops the build up of any sense of pressure. It also slaughters any continuity in content.

Furthermore, I predict that Kavanaugh will have all the presence of an office chair. I also think that Kavanaugh is an inveterate liar.

Grassley is undermining the R's whole strategy. That's fine, I'm grand with that but it's still frustrating to watch him and wonder why he doesn't just hut up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,608 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

i think its suspicious that she has such in depth expertise of trauma considering she is discussing her trauma

There are numerous cases of people who have suffered a trauma going in to a field linked with dealing with that Trauma, either to help get on with your own life, or to look to help others who've suffered a similar situation.

Your attitude seems unpleasantly cynical

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Can't see Kavanaugh getting through after her credible testimony.

She's a registered Republican herself and she's there to represent the R men who don't trust themselves not to come across as monsters, as they did when they tore into Anita Hall.
    The attack ads would write themselves if they did. Best option they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

FBI refused to investigate previously

They have to be asked.

It's almost amusing to see that it's Sen Grassley who's doing the interrupting given how it's damaging the GOP promoting Judge Kavanaugh to be a fit and capable person to vote unto the USSC bench.

I see that the interviewer is coming across as kind but I see the Prof is wary of what might be traps.

That says it all about the state of the GOP really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Are the question the lady is asking the direct questions from the GOP senators verbatim ? If so ted Cruz is some gob****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Christy42

Is it some senate rule or something that has Ford listed as a defendant? I mean no one has accused her of anything. She is not here to defend herself but to talk about someone else's wrongs.

To my mind Kavanagh is the only defendant.

.... aaand lunch.

I almost forgot that Rosenstein is to meet Trump today, possibly to get fired. Shaping up to be quite a day.

Grassley is undermining the R's whole strategy. That's fine, I'm grand with that but it's still frustrating to watch him and wonder why he doesn't just hut up.

I know exactly what you mean. They've tried to push all the sour old white men out of frame and Grassley us butting in literally every 5 minutes to carp and spit. The other strategic backfire is that I suspect the likes of Lindsey Graham, Ted Cruz, Ben Sasse etc could have taken Ford apart calmly and methodically.

What odds Kavanaugh is told to walk by Trump after this?

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Are the question the lady is asking the direct questions from the GOP senators verbatim ? If so ted Cruz is some gob****e.

I'd imagine they have some input but the interviewer has her own professional experience setting her own list without coming across as politically biased. I'm waiting to see what type of Q's the GOP will have for the judge and what her Q's to him will be, as she's used to going after the accused AND not the accuser, without Sen Grassley interrupting her flow of Q's then, if the judge doesn't go along with his lawyer in keeping quiet, letting the lawyer do the answering.

.... aaand lunch.

I almost forgot that Rosenstein is to meet Trump today, possibly to get fired. Shaping up to be quite a day.

Been postponed. Trump is doubtless glued to the telly and spitting blood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Mitchell and the republicans seem more intent on exposing how the dems sat on this and exonerating how they handled this rather than Kavanaugh's supposed innocence. Interesting strategy.

Christy42 wrote: »
    Is it some senate rule or something that has Ford listed as a defendant? I mean no one has accused her of anything. She is not here to defend herself but to talk about someone else's wrongs.

To my mind Kavanagh is the only defendant.

No, that's the illogic of the set-up. It's not a criminal trial but the alleged assailant here is Kavanaugh. But they send in a prosecutor of alleged assailants such as Kavanaugh to question Ford. Huh?

What has been Kavanaugh's response to this? Does he deny being at the party entirely? Does he deny being very drunk? Or does he admit to being very drunk but deny the assault?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I still think Kavanaugh will still be nominated; Anita Hill didn't stop Clarence Thomas from gaining his seat, and the Republicans this time around are desperate, positively ravenous for this conservative pick to go through.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

What odds Kavanaugh is told to walk by Trump after this?

There no way that happens..

Donald Trump, a man accused of multiple acts of as yet unproven sexual impropriety tells Brett Kavanaugh, a man accused of multiple acts of as yet unproven sexual impropriety that he has to stand down because it looks bad and makes him unsuited to high profile government role??

pixelburp wrote: »
    I still think Kavanaugh will still be nominated; Anita Hill didn't stop Clarence Thomas from gaining his seat, and the Republicans this time around are desperate, positively ravenous for this conservative pick to go through.

He'll be voted on, but two Republican senators switching to a no and he's toast. Everyone's looking at the usual suspects, Lisa Murkowski (AK), Susan Collins (ME), Jeff Flake (AZ) and Bob Corker (TN).

Watching MSNBC - Rosenstein meeting been pushed back to next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

He'll be voted on, but two Republican senators switching to a no and he's toast. Everyone's looking at the usual suspects, Lisa Murkowski (AK), Susan Collins (ME), Jeff Flake (AZ) and Bob Corker (TN).

Based on what I've seen so far, I can't imagine how at least 2 of those 4 dont vote K down. And it could very easily be all 4. In which case, K will withdraw rather than have a failed nomination handed to the Democrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Christy42

What has been Kavanaugh's response to this? Does he deny being at the party entirely? Does he deny being very drunk? Or does he admit to being very drunk but deny the assault?
    Not sure if he sticking with it but has gone with never being drunk enough to forget an evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,728 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Very credible testimony by Dr. Ford. In a sane world, Kavanaugh would not get out of the committee, but this is Trumpworld. Still, one never knows.

The prosecutor seems to be doing a fine job making Dr. Ford look credible. I expect that prosecutor won't get many more invites from DC.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement