Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump is the President Mark IV (Read Mod Warning in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Ok. Flake has now shown that he will be voting yes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

His refusal to answer the FBI QUESTION alone should exclude him from being appointed to the SCOTUS.

Water John wrote: »
    Yes, that's why you're getting long answers

Craaaaazy stuff! A recipe for massive obfuscation and b.s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,237 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Ok. Flake has now shown that he will be voting yes!
    Well if Collins and the Alaskan senator(I didn't want to butcher her name) vote no in a full senate vote then Jeff flake can whistle.

Finally.... Kavanaugh got in a 100%

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I'm older than you and I know that's bollocks. :D

You could have been in nappies and it didn't just mean happy.

No, it didn't just mean happy.

But it did mean happy, and was often used as such. Context was everything. Today, nobody ever uses 'gay' in that context, but 30 years ago, people did. Especially if you grew up reading your dad's books from the attic, and didn't pay attention to whatever the sexuality scene was. In my teens, I did more of the former than the latter.

The point is that terminology changes over time, and unlike 'gay', which obviously is known to have multiple meanings, "devil's triangle" is pretty damned obscure to begin with.

Dunno how Ford and Kavanaugh feel, but I'm fcuked after that hearing!

Harder than a day in the bog!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Which question ?

The Harris one, he keeps going around in circles about it and discussing other issues.

Quick recap

Kav's anger was understandable, but getting very Alec Jones with blaming clinton etc is not acceptable from a supreme court judge. He also waffled way to much.

Grassley is awful, needs to be put to pasture.

Dems could have hurt him more, he was very flustered. Harris was the most effective, but still she did not knock him out as I thought she would.

Feinstein is a either a liar or the most incompetent left winger present at these hearings.

Graham is Trump's grunt and wants the Sessions job.

Cruz could give you the lotto numbers and he would still come across as unlikable

I'm still none the wiser, but definitely think for everyone's sake it needs more investigating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,693 ✭✭✭✭looksee

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I'm older than you and I know that's bollocks. :D

You could have been in nappies and it didn't just mean happy.

Wrong. In my lifetime I was adult before I heard the word used as anything other than happy. I believe it became established in 60s as a word homosexual men used to describe themselves. Bear in mind pre internet information did not get around with anything like the speed it does now.

For this reason I would be quite willing to believe the triangle term could have meant pretty much anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,237 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Didn't some politician say that if you shot Ted Cruz dead on the floor of the senate and your trial was in the senate nobody would convict you?

• Advertisement

There's really only one person who comes out well from today's hearing, and that's Dr Blasey Ford..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    There's really only one person who comes out well from today's hearing, and that's Dr Blasey Ford..

If you believe she has been truthful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

None the wiser here also. Kavanaugh refusing to answer the FBI investigation question makes me believe he is hiding something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,237 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

RobertKK wrote: »

So you think she's lying then ? Even most of the GOP senators felt she gave compelling testimony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,237 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I honestly don't know what to make of it all.

I do believe that she was assaulted and I believe that she believes Kavanaugh was the perp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

Watched the entire thing, Kavanaugh did very well.

Kavanaugh did very well at dodging questions and waffling.

None the wiser here also. Kavanaugh refusing to answer the FBI investigation question makes me believe he is hiding something.

The answer to that is obvious, the Dem's want to delay the vote until after the midterms. They sat on the accusation for 2 months and refused to take part in many closed hearing testimonies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

His shouty demeanour did him no favours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

2 Scoops wrote: »
    Watched the entire thing, Kavanaugh did very well.

The crying and the tantrums? Sure, if that's what you admire in people, what can I say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

There is only one question you really need to ask yourself with regards to Ford. Why would she drag herself and her family through all of that, plus leaving her home,threats etc?

To help the Dems score a cheap political point? You can question the handling of the letter and the timing Feinstein released it, but what really has she to gain from this? If anything her whole life has been turned upside down

Midterms are Nov 6th, plenty of time for an FBI investigation. Delaying the vote another week as suggested, should not be a problem unless he doesn't want the FBI digging into his past.
    The answer to that is obvious, the Dem's want to delay the vote until after the midterms. They sat on the accusation for 2 months and refused to take part in many closed hearing testimonies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,568 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Midterms are Nov 6th, plenty of time for an FBI investigation. Delaying the vote another week as suggested, should not be a problem unless he doesn't want the FBI digging into his past.

And wouldnt you want to be cleared of any wrong doing and not have anything hanging over your shoulder for the rest of your live but the dog on the street knows there's something Kavanaugh doesnt want to be investigated

The crying and the tantrums? Sure, if that's what you admire in people, what can I say?

The opposite actually. The Dem's and media have portrayed him as some of serial rapist who drugged Women and then gang raped them, Avenatti came out of this hearing looking an absolute fool.

As of now you can only look at the facts and there's very little collaboration or evidence to back up the accusations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

The failure to endorse an FBI investigation is the main point for me. An innocent person would surely jump at the chance to persue all possible ways of proving their innocence.

And no reasonable person can be persuaded by his "I've loads of female friends and they all think I didn't do it" argument, as Harris pointed out.

It's like a murderer saying "I've known loads of people and I didn't kill them. Here are 65 people I never killed. So I can't be a killer"

If he were open to an investigation, I'd be more ambiguous about what happened but that's the clincher for me.

His opening angry emotional breakdown I'd put down to the result of overwhelming pressure and stress of the past few weeks. Not a pretty sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The opposite actually. The Dem's and media have portrayed him as some of serial rapist who drugged Women and then gang raped them, Avenatti came out of this hearing looking an absolute fool.

As of now you can only look at the facts and there's very little collaboration or evidence to back up the accusations.

Then why the reluctance to get the professionals a week/ten days to investigate it and clear his name fully. At this stage even if he gets to the Supreme Court this will taint his name if it isn't put to rest now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Headshot wrote: »
    And wouldnt you want to be cleared of any wrong doing and not have anything hanging over your shoulder for the rest of your live but the dog on the street knows there's something Kavanaugh doesnt want to be investigated

You may be right but its a lose lose, even if he's innocent an investigation will not show it.

What is the reason he has to ask for the FBI investigation? If he is a gang rapist shouldn't it be looked into without the gang rapist's request?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

You may be right but its a lose lose, even if he's innocent an investigation will not show it.

What is the reason he has to ask for the FBI investigation? If he is a gang rapist shouldn't it be looked into without the gang rapist's request?

An FBI investigation could potentially discover holes in Dr. Ford's story. If he is innocent, he has nothing to loose by such an investigation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The FBI investigation can be wrapped up in a matter of days.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement