Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump is the President Mark IV (Read Mod Warning in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭Harika

The trade war is affecting everyone and so far it is not clear who will blink first.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/tech/2018/09/19/chinas-alibaba-says-trumps-trade-issues-killing-u-s-job-program/1363326002/

Ma pulling back the promises to trump to create one million jobs in the US.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

As a matter fact, I do indeed follow the CHY and other major currencies - very closely thanks. You see, I have a very, very, large brain.

The USD has weakened against the CHY in 2018 (up to Sep 20th) when compared to 2017.

There is a lot of history between USD/CHY fx rates. You should take the time read about their history.

Fun fact for you RIGOLO. The Yuan has risen 30+ percent against the dollar since the CHY currency policy changes in 2005. You keep holding those dollars sir, nice and tight.

I dont see why your "very very large brain" is raving about a 30% return over 17 years. Thats an embarassing return and doesnt even beat inflation. I hope your not managing anyones money.

Your post isnt dis-proving my point.
    The Chinese government is taking huge measures to maintain some parity/stability , those measures and the rate are what tells the full story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Nermal

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I don't know, human compassion and understanding.

Just because they don't have to do it, doesn't mean they can't offer to help.

Absolutely ludicrous. Are the GOP expected to expend resources providing ‘closure’ on any and all allegations against their nominees for public office? Or just the ones that garner sympathetic media attention?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Pelvis wrote: »
    lol.

Last Week Tonight is one of the finest things on TV, I look forward to it every week.

I thought it was okay until it became clear he's a partisan hack like Stephen Colbert. If I'm listening to someone over a long period of time and they never have a nuanced opinion on any topic I'm tuning out. Jon stewart was his spiritual predecessor but he managed to keep my interest because he demonstrated an ability to think outside of blind partisanship. I dunno I just can't take anyone seriously, especially a comedian when I know I'm just getting a party line on every issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

RIGOLO wrote: »
    I dont see why your "very very large brain" is raving about a 30% return over 17 years. Thats an embarassing return and doesnt even beat inflation. I hope your not managing anyones money.

The Chinese government is taking huge measures to maintain some parity/stability , those measures and the rate are what tells the full story.

Did you get a chance to check out the concept of a deficit?

• Advertisement

Did you get a chance to check out the concept of a deficit?

Yep.
    Like in a trade deficit

The US Mexico Trade Deficit is around 60 Billion
    The US EU Trade Deficit is around 100 Billion
    The US China Trade Deficit is around 300 Billion

Trump administration is attempting to fix them all, Ive been pretty clear and consistent in posting about it.

Is that the deficit concept your talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Economists generally don't think a Trade deficit is necessarily a bad thing.

Yep.
    Like in a trade deficit

The US Mexico Trade Deficit is around 60 Billion
    The US EU Trade Deficit is around 100 Billion
    The US China Trade Deficit is around 300 Billion

Trump administration is attempting to fix them all, Ive been pretty clear and consistent in posting about it.

Nope. Try Budget Deficit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Return over 17 years?? What the actual fu...:confused:

Your posts are truly idiotic. I've had enough of your mindless rubbish. I would be afraid my kids might read your uninformed posts...:rolleyes: Welcome to my ignore list RIGOLO (the first boardsie on my list, be proud and take a bow). Enjoy the view!

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

I thought it was okay until it became clear he's a partisan hack like Stephen Colbert. If I'm listening to someone over a long period of time and they never have a nuanced opinion on any topic I'm tuning out. Jon stewart was his spiritual predecessor but he managed to keep my interest because he demonstrated an ability to think outside of blind partisanship. I dunno I just can't take anyone seriously, especially a comedian when I know I'm just getting a party line on every issue.

...well, not sure which John Oliver you were listening to then tbh. But eh, okay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,834 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

It was good to hear Judge Kavanaugh confirm that Prof Ford was not the person who leaked the letter to the W/P "It was released over her objections" seeing how she was asked during the hearing if she had done it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Rhineshark wrote: »
    ...well, not sure which John Oliver you were listening to then tbh. But eh, okay.

Maybe I've missed them honestly, what comes to mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Donald going on another classic rant outside the WH right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,376 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Pretty much all media in America is ridiculously partisan, this rubbish of I won’t listen to this because it’s one sided is pathetic carry on yes John Oliver is one eyed but no more so and probably less than pretty much everyone on Fox. People pick a team and stick with them in the main. The majority don’t want proper debate they want to be told they’re winning, you can really see it in some of the posters here who live there that no amount of valid argument would ever change they’re minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

salmocab wrote: »
    Pretty much all media in America is ridiculously partisan, this rubbish of I won’t listen to this because it’s one sided is pathetic carry on yes John Oliver is one eyed but no more so and probably less than pretty much everyone on Fox. People pick a team and stick with them in the main. The majority don’t want proper debate they want to be told they’re winning, you can really see it in some of the posters here who live there that no amount of valid argument would ever change they’re minds.

Although the majority of the media has some bias, that does not make them unreliable as a source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

He hasn't answered a single question directly about Kavanaugh. It's just blah blah treated horribly blah blah fine man blah blah Good Morning Vietnam.

I did like him saying that Kavanaugh admitted to having a drink problem at high school. Kavanaugh will doubtless be sure to appreciate that characterisation of what he said.

Duck Soup wrote: »
    He hasn't answered a single question directly about Kavanaugh. It's just blah blah treated horribly blah blah fine man blah blah Good Morning Vietnam.

I did like him saying that Kavanaugh admitted to having a drink problem at high school. Kavanaugh will doubtless be sure to appreciate that characterisation of what he said.

Classmates are coming out of the woodwork to say that Kavanaugh had a serious problem with binge drinking and consequential aggression. I think he's holed below the waterline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

mattser wrote: »
    Pot calling the kettle black to be honest. Oliver comes across as a mouth, crude and no class. Not to be taken seriously.

He's one of the best critics of all things politics and policies in America at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Classmates are coming out of the woodwork to say that Kavanaugh had a serious problem with binge drinking and consequential aggression. I think he's holed below the waterline.

I don't know, I think they'll jam him through unless the Feds find something credible on the sexual assault allegations.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

This has been the key thing for me over the last week or so.

He put forward this vision of his younger self as a studious nerd that never drank to excess.

Not a single 3rd party has corroborated that vision of himself , in fact that have actively gone the opposite way , describing him as a heavy drinker that got sloppy and obstreperous when drunk (which was quite regularly based on the reports).

Being a heavy drinker/partier in your late teens or early twenties is not a crime nor is it something that should necessarily be held against you 30+ years later.

But he lied about it , repeatedly. So now you have to ask , why??

The obvious place you are led to is that he is concerned that admitting to being regularly drunk and known to be sloppy and angry when drunk would make his defence of "couldn't have happened , never happened" a lot less solid.

Equally , he could genuinely not be 100% that the Blasey-Ford incident did not happen if he was regularly drunk to the point of incoherence which seems to be the picture painted by everyone that has come forward about that time thus far.

But fundamentally , a man being considered for the Supreme court has , it would appear lied under oath to make himself look better or potentially less guilty..

Not good...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,583 ✭✭✭jaykay74

"That's ok, I know you're not thinking, you never do" :rolleyes:

He is such a classless individual. He genuinely thinks he is a wit!

https://twitter.com/BeardedGenius/status/1046795908116037634

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

If you think Chinese economy is not being impacted by Trump Administration trade positions and tariffs then you havent been following the yuan fx rate for the last 12 months.
    I know Id prefer to be holding dollars.

What has happened the Yuan fx rate for the last 12 months?

I see no change. And not just taking the end points. it briefly went to 16c and then back to 15c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,834 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    This has been the key thing for me over the last week or so.

He put forward this vision of his younger self as a studious nerd that never drank to excess.

Not a single 3rd party has corroborated that vision of himself , in fact that have actively gone the opposite way , describing him as a heavy drinker that got sloppy and obstreperous when drunk (which was quite regularly based on the reports).

Being a heavy drinker/partier in your late teens or early twenties is not a crime nor is it something that should necessarily be held against you 30+ years later.

But he lied about it , repeatedly. So now you have to ask , why??

The obvious place you are led to is that he is concerned that admitting to being regularly drunk and known to be sloppy and angry when drunk would make his defence of "couldn't have happened , never happened" a lot less solid.

Equally , he could genuinely not be 100% that the Blasey-Ford incident did not happen if he was regularly drunk to the point of incoherence which seems to be the picture painted by everyone that has come forward about that time thus far.

But fundamentally , a man being considered for the Supreme court has , it would appear lied under oath to make himself look better or potentially less guilty..

Not good...

It's possible that he's had a good look at what might have been for him whenever he looked at his friend Mark Judge. Plus Don wouldn't approve of a person with a drink problem given how he repudiated it after his older brother died as a result of alcohol abuse.

Oh the trade deal with Canada and Mexico, Don spoke about it being a good deal which he'll sign in Nov and hand to congress. He said in the same statement that congress will say "well it's a Trump deal so we'll won't go along with it". The kickback from that last remark of his either means he think's his party, with it's majority on the hill, will mess around with the deal [which I don't expect it to] or he is getting ready for a change of control of the hill from GOP to Dem in Nov and getting ahead in the blame-game early for non ratification of his deal "it wasn't my fault that greatest deal ever failed to get into law, it was congress;s fault".

I heard that Canada is part of the deal on the insistence of Mexico [which makes economic and partnership strength-in-numbers sense for Mexico] given Don's history of welshing on deals he's made. EDIT. the implication from that, if it's true, means that Don was desperate for a deal and caved in under pressure from Mexico [imagine that] or was afraid for his reputation as the greatest deal-maker ever falling at the first trade hurdle on the north american continent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

aloyisious wrote: »
    It's possible that he's had a good look at what might have been for him whenever he looked at his friend Mark Judge. Plus Don wouldn't approve of a person with a drink problem given how he repudiated it after his older brother died as a result of alcohol abuse.
    Too much credit to the POTUS. He was handed a list that, according to the Federalist society, he could have thrown a dart at and chosen an equivalent candidate for the SCOTUS. Don won't care - he only cares about Don.

Oh the trade deal with Canada and Mexico, Don spoke about it being a good deal which he'll sign in Nov and hand to congress. He said in the same statement that congress will say "well it's a Trump deal so we'll won't go along with it". The kickback from that last remark of his either means he think's his party, with it's majority on the hill, will mess around with the deal [which I don't expect it to] or he is getting ready for a change of control of the hill from GOP to Dem in Nov and getting ahead in the blame-game early for non ratification of his deal "it wasn't my fault that greatest deal ever failed to get into law, it was congress;s fault".
    Don's attempting a strategy here. It's the 'when did you stop beating your wife question' - no possible answer that isn't damning. If congress approves, he's great, if they don't, it's partisan hackspersonship. The deal'll get messed with, count on it. Only when the messing reflects badly will that be noticed.
    I heard that Canada is part of the deal on the insistence of Mexico [which makes economic and partnership strength-in-numbers sense for Mexico] given Don's history of welshing on deals he's made.

Canada seems happy with the deal. Heck, all that surplus dairy they'll have can now be dumped on the UK when all their farmers crash & burn due to Brexit. Woohoo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,939 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I agree that whilst the FBI investigation should be unrestricted, it will no doubt be focused on the sexual assault issues and will not focus on the drink aspect.

If we were dealing with any normal scenario, the numerous unnecessary lies would disqualify him, or that partisan conspiracy theory on the Clintons, but unless the Reps can be shamed into dropping him arising from further proof on the assault claims, he well be voted on Friday and Flake will do what he always (bar once) do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭serfboard

Classmates are coming out of the woodwork to say that Kavanaugh had a serious problem with binge drinking and consequential aggression.
    That aggression was evident during his testimony and that wasn't even after drinking (I presume).

Yep.
    Like in a trade deficit

The  US Mexico Trade Deficit is around 60 Billion
    The  US EU Trade Deficit is around 100 Billion
    The  US China Trade Deficit is around 300 Billion

Nope. Try Budget Deficit.
    Yep just like the Trade Deficits, the Trump administration have a plan for that too. 
    Its in their Budget FY 2019 , Ive read most of it. It explains how they will address expenditure, especially entitlement expenditure,  have a read off it and let me know what you think. 
    https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/budget-fy2019.pdf

Lets get the mid-terms wrapped up and then I expect the administration to get back working on it with  Congress , The House and Senate budget committees etc. 

Im currently reading the Budget 2019 MidSession Review ,
    https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/19msr.pdf
    It has a few interesting points already..theres always some posters on here trotting out CBO figures as if they are some kind of gospel..looks like the CBO will have to change their forecast AGAIN for a SECOND time post this months GDP numbers 
    "The CBO projected growth of 2.0 and 1.5 percent in 2018 and 2019. That has now been revised substantially—up to 3.3 and 2.4 percent, respectively, following implementation of the TCJA."
    Its all good folks on the economic front, a long game , multi-faceted, all being dealt with by the Trump White house Administration

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

serfboard wrote: »
    That aggression was evident during his testimony and that wasn't even after drinking (I presume).

That's the thing! Even though he was sober, he was acting like an unbearable drunk: alternating between self-pitying tearfulness and boorish, shouty aggression. God alone knows what he must have been like after a few beers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

As a matter fact, I do indeed follow the CHY and other major currencies - very closely thanks. You see, I have a very, very, large brain.

The USD has weakened against the CHY in 2018 (up to Sep 20th) when compared to 2017.

There is a lot of history between USD/CHY fx rates. You should take the time read about their history.

Fun fact for you RIGOLO. The Yuan has risen 30+ percent against the dollar since the CHY currency policy changes in 2005. You keep holding those dollars sir, nice and tight.

Haha what? What an utterly bizarre answer, how is that in any way a reply to his point? Do you have the slightest clue what you're talking about or are you just copying and pasting from a list as you seem to have been doing all along?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,711 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

jaykay74 wrote: »
    "That's ok, I know you're not thinking, you never do" :rolleyes:

He is such a classless individual. He genuinely thinks he is a wit!

https://twitter.com/BeardedGenius/status/1046795908116037634

Jebus, what a sh1t. A fair dues for her standing up for herself, and there was clearly groans and gasps from some of the others.

He has this amazing ability to turn any evernt, even those that are totally in his favor into a sh1tshow.

That is why the media write so many bad stories about him, because no matter what, you can count on Trump making a fool of himself at every opportunity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement