Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump is the President Mark IV (Read Mod Warning in OP)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Trump is happy and things are going well with North Korea. I think Trump knows what was up the other day with that other news.

U.S. President Donald Trump said on Thursday he looked forward to meeting Kim Jong Un soon and thanked the North Korean leader for sending the suspected remains of U.S. soldiers killed in the 1950-1953 Korean War back to the United States.

Thank you to Chairman Kim Jong Un for keeping your word & starting the process of sending home the remains of our great and beloved missing fallen! I am not at all surprised that you took this kind action,” Trump wrote in a Twitter message.

“Also, thank you for your nice letter - I look forward to seeing you soon!”, Trump said, without elaborating.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

aloyisious wrote: »
    If the depositions were made candidly in the way Don is so candid presently then the lawyers may/will have cause to worry. Apart from Rudy, who are Don's lawyers now? I can't see the lawyers trying to pull the" He was not president then and not under presidential-office pressure" given that he made the depositions without that pressure on him and they should patently be more trustable.

I don't think there's any risk of a "You can't handle the truth" explosive kind of moment.

But I'd say that they would be worried (rightly in my view) that over the course of an extended deposition (or multiple depositions) that Trump would contradict himself sufficiently to leave him open to accusations of Perjury or Obstruction..

Having said all that Mueller is on record as saying he doesn't believe that a sitting President can be charged with a crime so nothing that Trump says/does will trigger an indictment , it will just be added to the final report.

Any possible legal action against Trump would only happen after he steps down as President (when that happens is the question though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

“Also, thank you for your nice letter - I look forward to seeing you soon!”, Trump said, without elaborating.

The language and tone. It's like he's Tweeting a long lost twin brother (maybe he is), not a psychopathic despot. Can he not open his big yap without something stupid or repugnant coming out, just once.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Trump is happy and things are going well with North Korea. I think Trump knows what was up the other day with that other news.

U.S. President Donald Trump said on Thursday he looked forward to meeting Kim Jong Un soon and thanked the North Korean leader for sending the suspected remains of U.S. soldiers killed in the 1950-1953 Korean War back to the United States.

Thank you to Chairman Kim Jong Un for keeping your word & starting the process of sending home the remains of our great and beloved missing fallen! I am not at all surprised that you took this kind action,” Trump wrote in a Twitter message.

So North Korea has started to denuclearise?

Water John wrote: »
    If Trump had lost, we would now have Trump TV. This would be further to the mad side than Fox. This was Trump's original intention. He knew that was a licence to print money.

Fox News was terrible news last year but since they have taken over there the best news network on TV. CNN is just anti trump channel now I don't think they talk about anything else but him they are obsessed. Tucker Carlson probably best news anchor on TV right now he challenging these people directly that you don't see on another network.

This one was amazing that guy in the glasses jeez he lost the plot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭amandstu

everlast75 wrote: »
    or not over time but within 10 words for example, in that tweet above

Trying to make sense of that tweet ,is he saying that it is a good thing to be unfair to foreign workers?

So North Korea has started to denuclearise?

Yes, in my opinion, they have started. They have started to dismantle the Sohae Satellite Launching Station which they have used to test ICBMs and Rockets in the past. They also blew up a site where they tested atomic weapons. They have handed over US Korean war dead this week. They have not flown an ICBM in seven months its a start and more than any president has seen from them in a while.

Yes, in my opinion, they have started. They have started to dismantle the Sohae Satellite Launching Station which they have used to test ICBMs and Rockets in the past. They also blew up a site where they tested atomic weapons. They have handed over US Korean war dead this week. They have flown an ICBM in seven months its a start and more than any president has seen from them in awhile.

Okay. So Mike Pompeo lied to a senate committee last week when he told them that North Korea continues to make fissile material for nuclear bombs?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Okay. So Mike Pompeo lied to a senate committee last week when he told them that North Korea continues to make fissile material for nuclear bombs?

But they gave Trump a nice letter!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Warning

OK folks, in recent weeks this thread has frequently gotten out of hand. Despite numerous warnings, cards, and bans, we've still got far too many people just ignoring the forum charter.

So this is a final warning. If you can't keep to the rules, don't post here, because we're rapidly nearing the point where we're going to have to start banning people, either from this thread or from the forum as a whole.

If you haven't read the charter, please do so now. And, it should go without saying, but in relation to this thread, let us stress the following:

1. If you think this warning applies to one side of the debate, think again. We've had to intervene with posters from both sides on a regular basis.

2. Just because someone else is acting the maggot, doesn't give you licence to do the same. Report their posts, ignore them and move on. Responding in kind just amplifies the problem and turns the thread into an even bigger mess.

3. If you want to talk about the "deep state" or any kind of conspiracy theory, don't do so here. This is a place for fact-based discussion.

• Advertisement

But they gave Trump a nice letter!

If I were Kim, I'd string Trump along as much as possible. Having a POTUS who doesn't believe his own security services and who has surrounded himself with fruitloop or inexperienced cronies is a dream come true.

The processing sites stlll exist., but if they are dismantling sites that test ICBMs thats a start. Are you expecting NK to give it all up in a week? The fact they are dismantling known active nuclear sites is a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,018 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Pelvis wrote: »
    Also the point has been made that if he were brought in for questioning, Mueller et al are not going to ask him anything that they don't already know the answer to. He may trip himself up by simply lying.

Agreed. He may be calm and elusive during depositions, but he can't say anything to incriminate himself, but at the same time he won't know the full extent of evidence Mueller's team has, so how he tries to evade questions will be almost the biggest factor.

The processing sites stlll exist., but if they are dismantling sites that test ICBMs thats a start. Are you expecting NK to give it all up in a week? The fact they are dismantling known active nuclear sites is a start.

So they continue to manufacture components for nuclear bombs. Agreed.

So the senior US officials who stated that US spy satellites had detected renewed activity in a ICBM factory two days ago were lying?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Has anyone ever seen notobtuse and Cheerful Spring in the same room together?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,696 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Guys, Trump will not be giving any interview to Mueller.

Ain't going to happen. He will keep pretending he wants to, despite at the same time calling the whole thing a witch hunt and Mueller a DNC biased HC supporter.

He will blame his lawyers, tax returns, mid-terms, Thanks-giving, Christmas whatever. But he will not be giving any under oath testimony to Mueller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Guys, Trump will not be giving any interview to Mueller.

Ain't going to happen. He will keep pretending he wants to, despite at the same time calling the whole thing a witch hunt and Mueller a DNC biased HC supporter.

He will blame his lawyers, tax returns, mid-terms, Thanks-giving, Christmas whatever. But he will not be giving any under oath testimony to Mueller

I think this is likely to be true. Just like the numerous times he said he'd love to release his tax returns...

https://money.cnn.com/2017/04/17/news/donald-trump-tax-returns/index.html

So they continue to manufacture components for nuclear bombs. Agreed.

So the senior US officials who stated that US spy satellites had detected renewed activity in a ICBM factory two days ago were lying?

There big difference between taken fuel from nuclear reactors and building a new missile. There no doubt that NK hasn't stopped processing yet.

But this statement is enlighting from Pompeo.

Pompeo told the Senate panel that at the Singapore summit, tearing down the missile engine test site was something that "wasn't in the written agreement itself, but Chairman Kim committed in his conversation with President Trump to do." To which Pompeo added, "They're beginning to dismantle that, it has to do with their missile program, it's a good thing — steps forward."

Why this is important step is they test liquid-fuel rocket engines here that power ICBMs. It's a research facility for testing nuclear weapons. In my book, this is a good sign NK is fulfilling promises to Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

There big difference between taken fuel from nuclear reactors and building a new missile. There no doubt that NK hasn't stopped processing yet.

But this statement is enlighting from Pompeo.

Pompeo told the Senate panel that at the Singapore summit, tearing down the missile engine test site was something that "wasn't in the written agreement itself, but Chairman Kim committed in his conversation with President Trump to do." To which Pompeo added, "They're beginning to dismantle that, it has to do with their missile program, it's a good thing — steps forward."

Why this is important step is they test liquid-fuel rocket engines here that power ICBMs. It's a research facility for testing nuclear weapons. In my book, this is a good sign NK is fulfilling promises to Trump

No way NK disarm from here IMO. Not because of Trump's capabilities, or lack of them depending on your viewpoint, but simply because they have nothing to gain.

They have one bargaining chip, ONE. From this bargaining chip, the leadership have to gain access to all the world has to offer that NK can't produce itself. No way after one goodwill meeting, they're just going to give it up without receiving anything in return?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭derb12

Great press briefing going on right now - all the intelligence and security chiefs sounding very reassuring that they are on top of things re the Russian threat.
    Giant elephant in the room of course which they are managing to navigate around.
    Speaking of which, the giant elephant was contemporaneously tweeting a thankyou for his fantastic 50% approval rating.
    You couldn’t make this stuff up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,612 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Great performance both from Coates and Wray. The disconnect with the President was sadly very obvious and couldn't be papered over.
    SHS contempt for the press in the room is not good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Water John wrote: »
    Great performance both from Coates and Wray. The disconnect with the President was sadly very obvious and couldn't be papered over.
    SHS contempt for the press in the room is not good.

And she's going to have to explain that whenever trump is done/she leaves the WH. Karma and all that.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    And she's going to have to explain that whenever trump is done/she leaves the WH. Karma and all that.

No she won't. She will get a chushy job for some GOP linked company of some such.

Whether you like her or not, she is doing a really great job for Trump. Had Spicer stayed Trump would be in far more serious pressure than he is. SHS has done all that is being asked of her (and seems to reveal in it).

IT might not suit most people, but is is working for a particular audience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,919 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Leroy42 wrote: »
    No she won't. She will get a chushy job for some GOP linked company of some such.

Whether you like her or not, she is doing a really great job for Trump. Had Spicer stayed Trump would be in far more serious pressure than he is. SHS has done all that is being asked of her (and seems to reveal in it).

IT might not suit most people, but is is working for a particular audience.

In fairness, if my brief was to treat people with contempt, be as snarky and disrespectful as I wanted, knowing that not only would I not be fired but in fact praised for it, I reckon i could do a good job of it.

Well... i couldn't because i have a soul... but you get the idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,738 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Trump has definitely aged over the last year. He’s looking beat down and haggard.

Sarah Sanders refuses to say press is not 'enemy of the people' at White House briefing

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/sarah-sanders-press-briefing-white-house-jim-acosta-donald-trump-choke-enemy-of-people-a8475166.html

In any admin this would be an open goal.

Blah,blah 1st amendment, love the press, democracy is great, US press is the best in the world, US is a leader in free speech, don't agree with what you say but will die to defend your right to say it, blah blah.

The fact that SHS can't even bring herself to say that, that she needs to dodge a question asking if she thinks the press is the enemy of the people? I mean come on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,612 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yes, saw that Jim Accosta CNN asked the question. Very poor response.

New opening on info leak. Spy in US embassy in Mosow.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/aug/02/suspected-russian-spy-us-embassy-moscow-secret-service

Issue covered up.

'The Guardian has been told that the potential breach was not reported to any of the congressional intelligence or oversight committees.

A source said: “A government committee needs to investigate the Secret Service for hiding this breach.”

Another option would be to include it in special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation into suspected Russian collusion in the 2016 presidential election.

“The US Congress is focusing on Russian hackers when it is possible that all of the information they needed to get into the system came from the internal breach in the Secret Service,” the source said.

“Her activities of stealing and sharing information could shed more light on how the Russians were able to hack the 2016 presidential election office of the DNC [Democratic National Committee].”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I’d reckon Snowden is helping them out too as part of him staying in Russia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭derb12

Helping who out? And to what end?
    Snowden is hard to pigeonhole as a 100% goodie or baddie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

derb12 wrote: »
    Helping who out? And to what end?
    Snowden is hard to pigeonhole as a 100% goodie or baddie.

In d&d parlance I reckon he would be chaotic good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement