Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump is the President Mark IV (Read Mod Warning in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Just watched the Kanye meet yesterday. What a freaking freaky freak show.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Voter suppression - Democrat controlled districts in Maryland are considered some of the worst gerrymanderes districts in the whole of the US.

The left is certainly descending to new lows. I think the Democrat Party leadership have some blame on their hands for stoking the un-civil , assault and harrassment fires in recent weeks.

The son of SUSAN RICE - (remember her she was the National Security Advisor under Barack) - has filed charges for assault at a pro-Kavanaugh 'change my mind event' in Stanford.

Leftist violence is spilling onto the campus of American universities also.

https://www.newsweek.com/susan-rice-son-john-rice-cameron-press-charges-kavanaugh-protester-stanford-1166056

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,711 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Even parking aside the 150bn of trade with the Saudis, let no one forget that Trump himself has some very serious business connections with SA. This is exactly why POTUS are supposed but their business interests into blind trusts because otherwise they leave themselves wide open to calls of bias in terms of how they handle issues that come up.

Clearly, Trump is not going to risk his own business interests for the sake of some non US citizens, regardless of the rights and wrongs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

RIGOLO wrote: »
    Voter suppression - Democrat controlled districts in Maryland are considered some of the worst gerrymanderes districts in the whole of the US.

and I oppose that. Do you condemn the GOP for their widespread voter suppression?

The left is certainly descending to new lows. I think the Democrat Party leadership have some blame on their hands for stoking the un-civil , assault and harrassment fires in recent weeks.

You think they should have tried cover it all up like the GOP?

The son of SUSAN RICE - (remember her she was the National Security Advisor under Barack) - has filed charges for assault at a pro-Kavanaugh 'change my mind event' in Stanford.

Leftist violence is spilling onto the campus of American universities also.

https://www.newsweek.com/susan-rice-son-john-rice-cameron-press-charges-kavanaugh-protester-stanford-1166056

How did you feel about the nazis at Charlottsville that were praised by Trump as fine people? Didn't they kill someone? Or the Turkish bodyguards viciously attacking people on US soil with no reprimand from Trump? And you have the cheek to complain about violence over someone being pushed?

Again, any sign of those polls about the red wave?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

Interesting article on fivethirtyeight this week about the STRENGTH of the GOP .
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-states-where-democrats-or-republicans-could-seize-full-control-of-government/

I realised the GOP under Donald Trump was in a strong position what with holding the Presidential, Congress and House , and I was well aware of just how many state legislative seats were lost by the Democrats under Obama.. but fivethirtyeight put some more numbers to the overall strength of the GOP.

A state-government trifecta — when the state’s governor, Senate and House are all controlled by the same party .
    The Republicans have 28 STATE TRIFECTAS
    The Democrats have only 8 !

So thats 28 states where the GOP have FULL CONTROL of the State government, with the Democrats only having 8 .

These sort of numbers and inidcation of control give even more value to the electoral college and how the winner, in this case Donald Trump is truly representing the State balance of power.

And looking at those numbers, I cant see any hope for the blue wave.
    The Democrats have even taken to some in fighting over how to handle the GOP, do they adopt the civil or un-civil approach.

And CNN just keeping adding fuel to the fire, calling Kanye West a 'token negro' and saying his visit to the Oval Office was 'A Minstrel Show' well thats certainly not wining any votes for the Democrats. CNN is certainly reaching new lows.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/cnn-panel-slammed-after-calling-kanye-west-token-negro/vi-BBOeGAX

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/don-lemon-kanye-west-donald-trump_us_5bc0048ee4b01a01d688fceb

Then they can be blamed for everything. How could the Dems stop such a powerful force with a genius and master tactician to lead them?

• Advertisement

and I oppose that. Do you condemn the GOP for their widespread voter suppression?

You think they should have tried cover it all up like the GOP?

How did you feel about the nazis at Charlottsville that were praised by Trump as fine people? Didn't they kill someone? Or the Turkish bodyguards viciously attacking people on US soil with no reprimand from Trump? And you have the cheek to complain about violence over someone being pushed?

Again, any sign of those polls about the red wave?

Like I said before POLLS are interesting in the lulls between elections and they can be discussed ad nauseaum, but its 'x's on the ballot sheet and bums on Seats is where the rubber hits the road.
    The fivethirtyeight models are certainly fascinating to follow.

But Id prefer to be where the GOP are , holding the Presidential, the House and the Senate majority and a trifecta (State senate, house and govenor) in 28 states, than get too worked up about a poll.

Like I said before POLLS are interesting in the lulls between elections and they can be discussed ad nauseaum, but its 'x's on the ballot sheet and bums on Seats is where the rubber hits the road.
    The fivethirtyeight models are certainly fascinating to follow.

You brought up the polls.

I suspect among other things its the polling numbers contributing to this , they are indicating a red wave, and investors like that, they like that the GOP will hold the reins after the mid-terms.
    Any indication of the Dems getting back some control is spooking the market.

So where are the polls you referred to in this post?

But Id prefer to be where the GOP are , holding the Presidential, the House and the Senate majority and a trifecta (State senate, house and govenor) in 28 states, than get too worked up about a poll.

Have you any issue with the mass voter suppression tactics being used by the GOP ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Rigolo won't be able to find polls showing a red wave, because there are none.

538 list all of the polling results here:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/congress-generic-ballot-polls/?ex_cid=rrpromo

The last poll to show Reps leading was an Ipsos one from August which had it polling R+3. The most recent Ipsos one listed, for the period Oct 2-8 has a D+13 result on it

The closest one I can see to showing even a slim chance for the Reps is the Rasmussen one from the end of September listing a Tie, but Rasmussen are renowned for their R-bias & only given a C+ rating by 538, whereas Ipsos are listed as a B+

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/congress-generic-ballot-polls/?ex_cid=rrpromo

The last poll to show Reps leading was an Ipsos one from August which had it polling R+3. The most recent Ipsos one listed, for the period Oct 2-8 has a D+13 result on it

The closest one I can see to showing even a slim chance for the Reps is the Rasmussen one from the end of September listing a Tie, but Rasmussen are renowned for their R-bias & only given a C+ rating by 538, whereas Ipsos are listed as a B+

Theres plenty on fivethirtyeight to indicate a blue wave.

Their Senate poll has them at a 82% chance to hold the Senate.

The Generic ballot is only 8%+ for Democrats.
    Their latest podcast they discussed 3 scenarios where the GOP could WIN the HOUSE even with a -8 poll position. Have a listen , its always good stuff.https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/politics-podcast-two-forecasts-diverged-in-a-wood/

Theres plenty of history where the Dems had generic ballott leads and did not take the house. And plenty explanation available of why +* Dem is not a great mark.
    Ive mentioned these 538 anomalies regularly.

I remember listening to them (538) on the eve of the 2016 Presidential election , they were all in ebulient jolly move, thinking it was a done deal and their polls were all giving the election to HRC.
    I also remember listening to their (538) podcast the day after Trump won, alot of deflation and shock and head scratching about their polls and models.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

MadYaker wrote: »
    Is 60 minutes a live broadcast? I’d imagine the interviewer will have to make a lot of commitments as to what questions she can’t ask and what topics she has to stay away from.

Allegedly taped yesterday (Thursday) at the White House.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Theres plenty on fivethirtyeight to indicate a blue wave.

Their Senate poll has them at a 82% chance to hold the Senate.

The Generic ballot is only 8%+ for Democrats.
    Their latest podcast they discussed 3 scenarios where the GOP could WIN the HOUSE  even with a -8 poll position. Have a listen , its always good stuff.https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/politics-podcast-two-forecasts-diverged-in-a-wood/

Theres plenty of history where the Dems had generic ballott leads and did not take the house. And plenty explanation available of why +* Dem is not a great mark.
    Ive mentioned these 538 anomalies regularly.

I remember listening to them (538)  on the eve of the 2016 Presidential election , they were all in ebulient jolly move, thinking it was a done deal and their polls were all giving the election to HRC.
    I also remember listening to their (538) podcast the day after Trump won, alot of deflation and shock and head scratching about their polls and models.
    For someone not getting too worked up about polls, you certainly reference them enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I remember listening to them (538) on the eve of the 2016 Presidential election , they were all in ebulient jolly move, thinking it was a done deal and their polls were all giving the election to HRC.

This had been debunked so many times before.

They had her at 70%. That's not 100%. A 70% chance of winning is a 30% chance of losing. 30% is around the odds of landing a 1 or a 2 on a die. It is quite likely. And regarding their polls, they were very accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Just watched the Kanye meet yesterday. What a freaking freaky freak show.

It was simply a meeting of two very strange self-obsessed men who are (as I heard described by an observer earlier on TV) "joined at the narcissistic hip".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Taylor Swift comes out in support of the Democrats and is heralded as a hero.

Kanye West meets Trump and is bombarded with hate press.

You just couldn't make this up. What a world.

Bold Kayne.:rolleyes:

Taylor swift came out in support of a democrat and told people to examine the policies of candidates and vote for who they believed in She was insulted by the president and told to stick to music by republicans.

Kanye wore a maga hat and came out with a tirade of nonsense and got an invite to the white house.

Also, its generally accepted that winning the senate was practically impossible at this round of elections for the Dems unless there was a something like 15-16 point win for the Dems.

The Dems realistic target is get through this election taking control of the house & hoping that at worst they only lose 1 seat in the Senate.

Look into the 538 info. What it says is:

There is an 80% chance that the result in the Senate is somewhere in the range:

Dems Gain 2 seats to Reps gain 4 seats

In the House Prediction, they are stating an 80% chance the result is in the range:

Dems gain 16 seats to Dems gain 56 seats (with less than 0.1% of a chance that the Reps gain seats overall)

How anything in those numbers adds up to your proposed Red Wave is beyond comprehension

What complete and utter tosh.

Kanye is not being bombarded with hate press for a start. People have no issue with him supporting whomever he likes. It is the craziness and weirdness of what he is talking about.

He voted for Trump because his daddy didn't play catch enough with him? Trump red cap makes him feel like superman? Everyone should stop criticising Trump as it reflects badly on the US?

That is some some of the reason why Kanye is being ridiculed. The fact that Trump even let the guy into the oval office and let him take over the meeting is another problem.

But don't let any of the facts get in the way of you feeling that the world is out to get you.

You managed to make it up just fine.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    What complete and utter tosh.

Kanye is not being bombarded with hate press for a start. People have no issue with him supporting whomever he likes. It is the craziness and weirdness of what he is talking about.

He voted for Trump because his daddy didn't play catch enough with him? Trump red cap makes him feel like superman? Everyone should stop criticising Trump as it reflects badly on the US?

That is some some of the reason why Kanye is being ridiculed. The fact that Trump even let the guy into the oval office and let him take over the meeting is another problem.

But don't let any of the facts get in the way of you feeling that the world is out to get you.

All I'm seeing on Twitter is wall to wall condemnation of the man. Most of it being directed by fellow celebs.

• Advertisement

You managed to make it up just fine.

Have you seen the CNN footage this morning.

Did you hear the comments that Dom Lemon made?

Well if Twitter says it then it must be true and does represent the hate press!

But again, the condemnation is fairly warranted. The man had an opportunity that few US citizens get, and audience with POTUS. And instead of treating it seriously he comes out with the rubbish he came out with. He made a mockery of the office, of the POTUS and of the opportunity he was awarded.

Based on his ramblings, it is clear that the only thing he was there for was his celebrity endorsement.

Many people, regardless of what political position one takes, should see that as what it is.

So one person on one network. And you still haven't dealt with any of the stuff that Kanye actually said. Lemon see this for what it is. Both men using their position to further their own careers rather than use it to further something bigger.

No, I don't watch CNN. I know this will come as a surprise to some people but we can come up with negative opinions about Trump without the evil MSM.

I'm sure a search for fox news and Taylor Swift will quickly find plenty of people who aren't saying she is a hero. Trump even complained about it himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Taylor Swift's post and support for a democrat led to a huge surge of younger people registering to vote throughout the country. I wouldn't say she's being labelled a hero, but yes she is getting praise for that.

Kanye, in the White House, where he could have used the meeting to maybe highlight issues to help people, went on a complete and utter nonsensical tirade about who the f*ck even knows what. It was completely insane to the point where people are quite rightfully questioning whether or not he needs to be on medication for his own good.

The two simply don't compare.

Lemon wasn't really that bad if you listen to it. In essence he's saying Kanye very obviously needs some help, and that really Trump is just usjng him for his own agenda & doesnt actually care about what hes saying, which is probably a pretty fair assessment of the whole debacle to be honest.

He also pointed out the hypocrisy of the like of Fox & Daily Caller for going insane when Common was invited to read poetry in the White House, where he actually read a meaningful piece of work but you hear nothing from them about Kanyes bizarre ranting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭mattser

Taylor swift came out in support of a democrat and told people to examine the policies of candidates and vote for who they believed in She was insulted by the president and told to stick to music by republicans.

Kanye wore a maga hat and came out with a tirade of nonsense and got an invite to the white house.

That makes it one all, with a one sided tirade of nonsense quip thrown in for good measure. The hyprocrisy is just dripping off some around these parts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I have no time for celebrities - least of all any who profess a dalliance into politics, 'cos their levels of 'woke'ness can be truly nauseating - but if someone like Taylor Swift making a public plea persuaded tens of thousands to register to vote? That's clearly a good thing. No democracy should discourage vote registration; more (young) people voting is always a good result in any democracy; and the conversation shouldn't be tainted by what party or creed she came out in favour of.

Kanye West however? He's ... an eccentric, which is as polite as I can put it. Maybe his presence at the White House persuaded as many thousands to register, but I honestly doubt it - and it sure wasn't his open intention going by the waffling stream of consciousness he indulged in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,947 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

mattser wrote: »
    That makes it one all, with a one sided tirade of nonsense quip thrown in for good measure. The hyprocrisy is just dripping off some around these parts.

So what you're saying is Obama was wrong for inviting Jay Z to the white house, but Trump was right for inviting Kanye, that Taylor Swift should stay in her lane but it's okay that kid f'n rock talk politics.

Yep. Hypocrisy is dripping alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

No, I don't watch CNN. I know this will come as a surprise to some people but we can come up with negative opinions about Trump without the evil MSM.

I'm sure a search for fox news and Taylor Swift will quickly find plenty of people who aren't saying she is a hero. Trump even complained about it himself.

A quick look at what Trump fans think of all this celebrity stuff shows them wondering how good Taylor Swift is at oral sex, while they think Kanye makes a lot of good points. You couldn't make it up!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement