Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump is the President Mark IV (Read Mod Warning in OP)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

RIGOLO wrote: »
    yabba yabba yabba yabba...

The American Electorate gave it a long hard look, in fact they were looking at it for 8 years.
    And thats why they flippped over 1,000 State and National seats red during Obamas term , and thats also why they rejected HRC who was part of the failures throughout Obamas 8 years.

You mean failures like building the country back up from ruin courtesy of a Republican President, 8 years of non-stop sustainable growth and giving the country the closest thing to universal health care it had ever had?
    Yes, dreadful failure there, alright.
    Trump will crash the economy (like any Republican) and the Dems will build it back up (as usual) and they will get nothing but abuse for it.
    I'm not addressing you because you don't care or have the mental capacity to understand the economy beyond the terms of Republican Presidents, but more the sane people in the room.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

I think that it can be safely and objectively concluded that the party of Lincoln has been dead for a very, very long time now.

Au contraire

the party of Lincoln is doing just fine, what with The Presidential, The Senate , The House and SCOTUS majoritys, and given the Republican party has had the most presidents of any one party (19) one can safely conclude the Grand Old Party is very much alive.

November 6th will confirm this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Au contraire

the party of Lincoln is doing just fine, what with The Presidential, The Senate , The House and SCOTUS majoritys, and given the Republican party has had the most presidents of any one party (19) one can safely conclude the Grand Old Party is very much alive.

Do you actually know any of this stuff? The GOP is no more the party of Abraham Lincoln than the Dems are the party of Jefferson Davis, Robert E Lee or Thomas Stonewall Jackson.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Water John wrote: »
    I see Donald Trump the scientist, is saying if climate change is happening it will bounce back again. WTF.

Bounce back over a million years - now that's taking political long-fingering to a new extreme. Just to copy and paste the exchange, for once a Journalist had the nerve to actually stop and ask Trump to back up his unsubstantiated claims. It's not enough for any sitting President to just be allowed waffle on about subjects clearly beyond his/her wheelhouse with impunity.

And on that subject of Big Talk, in the very same interview, Trump claimed to know more about NATO than General Jim Mattis (who he also claimed might be a Democrat). So at least he's consistent in claiming his military prowess and knowledge outstrips his own generals.

Trump: I'm not denying climate change. But it could very well go back. You know, we're talkin' about over a millions-
    Stahl: But that's denying it.
    Trump: -of years. They say that we had hurricanes that were far worse than what we just had with Michael.
    Stahl: Who says that? “They say”?
    Trump: People say. People say that in the-
    Stahl: Yeah, but what about the scientists who say it's worse than ever?
    Trump: You'd have to show me the scientists because they have a very big political agenda, Lesley.
    Stahl: I can't bring them in.
    Trump: Look, scientists also have a political agenda.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Au contraire

Not what I meant. It might have seats but as far as principles are concerned, it seems to be the party of hatred, racism, misogyny, homophobia, war and privilege.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Au contraire

Can you post your sources for stating the Democrat party voted against the Civil Rights Acts of 1957 and 1960?

In more voter suppression news.
    As Texas voters attempt to register in droves for the high stakes election between Republican Sen. Ted Cruz and Democratic Rep. Beto O'Rourke, a new report reveals that thousands of voters are having their registration forms unfairly rejected.

https://www.salon.com/2018/10/08/texas-historic-voter-registration-surge-should-scare-ted-cruz/

Do you think Lincoln would support this tactic of the GOP to remove votes from people?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Can you post your sources for stating the Democrat party voted against the Civil Rights Acts of 1957 and 1960?

https://www.salon.com/2018/10/08/texas-historic-voter-registration-surge-should-scare-ted-cruz/

Do you think Lincoln would support this tactic of the GOP to remove votes from people?

Yes Lincoln would approve, from Texas...

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/fort-worth/article219920740.html
    FORT WORTH
    Members of an organized voter fraud ring have been arrested and indicted on charges they targeted and, in one case stole, the votes of elderly voters on the city’s north side.

Four people were arrested — Leticia Sanchez, Leticia Sanchez Tepichin, Maria Solis and Laura Parra — after being indicted on 30 felony counts of voter fraud, according to a statement from the Texas Attorney General’s Office.

These people allegedly were paid to target older voters on the north side “in a scheme to generate a large number of mail ballots and then harvest those ballots for specific candidates in 2016,” the statement read.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Seems he's denying his pals the Saudis had anything to do with the killing of that journalist in Turkey.

https://twitter.com/abbydphillip/status/1051825703623233538

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,711 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Rogue Killers, who just happened to have access to the SA embassy?

Elizabeth Warren has provided proof of her native American heritage.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/elizabeth-warren-dna-test-results_us_5bc4648ce4b040bb4e840fd6

I wonder will Trump keep up the "Pocahontas" remarks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Rogue Killers, who just happened to have access to the SA embassy?

Rogue killers. Yes of course. It couldn't possibly be the country that still has state-sanctioned beheadings. Jesus, he's thick. Not because he believes this line but he actually thinks anyone else would.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/elizabeth-warren-dna-test-results_us_5bc4648ce4b040bb4e840fd6

Warren was a fool for doing that: the fact the ratio could be as minute as 1/512th just makes her look petty and grasping for some progressive brownie points, and Trump won't care; that she reacted means he'll probably just double down on her now. It does make one wonder if she's clearing the decks for a stab at 2020.

jooksavage wrote: »
    Rogue killers. Yes of course. It couldn't possibly be the country that still has state-sanctioned beheadings. Jesus, he's thick. Not because he believes this line but he actually thinks anyone else would.

He doesn't believe it, and IMO he doesn't care whether any one else does either.

It is simply a way to get him out of a difficult question.

He doesn't care what happened, he already stated that more important is the arms deals.

Trump, MAGA, by telling everyone how powerless they really are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

I wonder will he give €1m to charity like he said he would

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Billy Mays wrote: »

I'm sure the Trump Foundation will put this generous donation to good use.

Not what I meant. It might have seats but as far as principles are concerned, it seems to be the party of hatred, racism, misogyny, homophobia, war and privilege.

Hardly, if they were the party of all that they would have no chance of winning an election.

They represent the party of good trade policys, less business regulation, stronger foreign policy, more business friendly, border security, and the party of respect for law and order and the list goes on ..

thats what the party represents, its why Trump won the election in 2016 and why the GOP is doing so well in the mid-terms.

Hardly, if they were the party of all that they would have no chance of winning an election.

They represent the party of good trade policys, less business regulation, stronger foreign policy, more business friendly, border security, and the party of respect for law and order and the list goes on ..

thats what the party represents, its why Trump won the election in 2016 and why the GOP is doing so well in the mid-terms.

You probably could have made a convincing argument up until the law and order part.

Any sign of those sources on the claim you made about the Civil Rights Acts?

Unless that is what the people want? And very clearly there are quite a number pf people in the US that are one, or more, of those.

Billy Mays wrote: »

He's denying he said it.

President Trump on Monday denied that he offered Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) $1 million to take a test proving her Native American heritage, even though he did just that.
    Trump spoke after Warren responded to the president's challenge and released the results of a DNA test showing she has a distant Native ancestor.
    "I didn't say that. You'd better read it again," Trump told reporters at the White House when asked about his $1 million offer.
    Responding to a question about Warren's test, Trump said, "Who cares?"
    During a campaign rally on July 5, Trump taunted Warren for her claims of Native American ancestry, a staple of his campaign stump speeches.
    "I will give you a million dollars, to your favorite charity, paid for by Trump, if you take the test and it shows you’re an Indian," Trump said at the time. "I have a feeling she will say 'no.' "

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/411414-trump-denies-offering-1-million-for-warren-dna-test-even-though-he

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,741 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

A very complex time, which I don’t like revisiting thru a prism of modern day lens.

You can talk all you want about a North versus South war, but when it came to the politics involved , its pretty obvious which side each party lay upon.

Well, was it a Democratic vs. Republican war, or an anti-slavery (North) vs. pro-slavery (South) war? This isn't that difficult a question to answer. In fact, I'll take the risk and put words in your mouth. "It wasn't a Democratic vs. Republican war. Period full stop."

Feel free to refute me.

Once the war started, there was no more Democratic party in the US, until the war was over, as those that had seceded, divorced themselves from the US government and its party mechanism.
    ...stuff about various aspects and votes for/against civil rights in the US.
    Its not revisionism in the slightest, its just historical fact.

Taken through the modern era lens though, as you earlier refused to do. So, for example, NOTHING you posted about the HISTORIC Democratic party, applies today, by your own rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It is time for the west to stop supporting this bunch of criminals in Saudi Arabia, they are no more royal than the people they are intentionally starving in Yemen. It is a rogue nation and literally gets away with murder due to oil and economics.
    It was beyond disgraceful when Trump implied that an arms deal/economics was more important than morals. Then he couldn't just condemn Saudi Arabia the other day, he had to say Iran was the worse nation in the region - which is a lie. It is the criminals who run Saudi Arabia.

Trump needs to stop showing support for murderous regimes, how can one praise Kim Jong Un when he used VX gas on his half brother in a busy airport, not to mention the crimes he commits against the people of North Korea.

We don't war, but where are the morals?

Speaking of law and order.

Fusion GPS co-founder Glenn Simpson has informed the House Judiciary committee that he will plead the 5th, and exercise his right not to testify.
    But Nellie Ohr will be testifying before the committee on Friday .

Why is this of news… because

Glenn Simpson previously testified under oath , with the House intellegience committee that he never met or discussed the ‘Steel’ dossier with Bruce Ohr (#4 person at the White house Department of Justice) .
    Yet indications are Bruce Ohr has already admitted under oath in private session that he did meet with Glenn Simpson . And his wifes testimony may confirm this.

Someones telling a porkie, Simpson better lawyer up. The Fusion Steel dossier is blowing up in the face of the liberal left Democratic deep state.

There was a time when liberals would be all over this case, up in arms about the fact the US government got a warrant to surveil a US private citizen.
    The liberals sold out on that a long time ago, at this stage they just have an anti-Trump agenda, with not a liberal value in sight.

In the run up to the mid-terms, one should always be wary of ‘October Surprises‘.
    I expect the Trump Administration has a few ready to release in the last couple of weeks of campaigning.

And this is all weakening the Mueller probe, and Mueller knows this, hence last weeks agreement to accept written responses from Trump. Muellers witch hunt is winding down, counsel and staff are leaving. There will be no charges on Russian collusion for anyone associated with the Trump campaign.

Its over folks, Mueller probe is a busted flush .
    And the plot is backfiring and taking down more anti-Trumpers with it.

And continuing the outstanding success on law and order from the Trump Administration.
    Trump continues to appoint more justices to the Appeals Court system (26 in 2 years, Obama did 55 in 8) with more vacancies to fill, he is locking down a conservative majority for a whole generation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

They're referring to the handful of red state Democrats that voted against it if I recall correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭eire4

Actually he won the electoral college in 2016 which is why he is president because the majority of the Americans who bothered to vote ( turnout was only 54%) voted for Clinton. As for the current mid terms the Republicans are not likely to do well. They are quite likely to take a beating in the house and lose control of that despite the gerrymandering and voter suppression efforts and while they will likely retain control of the senate that is more due to the fact that the vast majority of the senate seats up this year are already Democratic held rather then any strength of the Republicans part.

eire4 wrote: »
    Actually he won the electoral college in 2016 which is why he is president because the majority of the Americans who bothered to vote ( turnout was only 54%) voted for Clinton. As for the current mid terms the Republicans are not likely to do well. They are quite likely to take a beating in the house and lose control of that despite the gerrymandering and voter suppression efforts and while they will likely retain control of the senate that is more due to the fact that the vast majority of the senate seats up this year are already Democratic held rather then any strength of the Republicans part.

Its been two years and still complaining about the way the system works for a Constitutional Federal Republic.Theres been plenty discussion on that , hardly needs to be revisited.
    I think people need to get over losing the election.

quite likely, HRC was quite likely to win the election and we all know how that worked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Its been two years and still complaining about the way the system works for a Constitutional Federal Republic.Theres been plenty discussion on that , hardly needs to be revisited.

quite likely, HRC was quite likely to win the election and we all know how that worked out.

The odds of taking the house are far more substantial than Hillary winning was. You were only saying last week that polls indicated a red wave which they didn't...

This sort of story taking the headlines this week by virtue of the totalitarian left insatiable appetite for anti-Trump click bait says it all really.

Whilst the left, Democrats and anti-Trumpers are immersing themselves in DNA tests of liberal Democrat has beens, the Trump administration moves on with its real economic progress.

This week has been declared National Minority Enterprise Week.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/presidential-proclamation-minority-enterprise-development-week-2018/
    The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act enacted the biggest tax cuts and reforms in American history. Importantly, it created the Opportunity Zones Program, through which we are rewarding businesses that invest in distressed communities and that create jobs for those who, all too often, are left behind. ...do hereby proclaim October 14 through October 20, 2018, as National Minority Enterprise Development Week.

https://eig.org/opportunityzones
    Opportunity Zones are a new community development program established by Congress in the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 to encourage long-term investments in low-income urban and rural communities nationwide. The Opportunity Zones program provides a tax incentive for investors to re-invest their unrealized capital gains into Opportunity Funds that are dedicated to investing into Opportunity Zones designated by the chief executives of every U.S. state and territory

So while the left are trying to win votes by proving someone has between 0.1 and 1% native-American DNA, in a questionable test.

The Trump Adminsitration is winning votes by investing in distressed communities and incentivising business to do the same thru its tax program.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,741 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

In Trump-related news (a victory for all those states turned Red), Arkansas just dropped 4000 from the medicaid rolls due to 'work requirements.'

Whether or not work requirements are applicable is a matter of debate elsewhere. I've brought this up just as another example of tGOP out-and-out mean-spiritedness. Being on medicaid STINKS. You have very limited assets (something like, you can own a car, a home, and have $3000 in liquid assets). It qualifies you to have your health care paid for by the Federal government, and its usually the lowest-quality healthcare available. Most doctors don't take it (this isn't medicare, it's medicaid.)

And of course, this disproportionately impacts minorities, which is what the goal (imo) of the 'work requirement' legislation was about in the first place. Federal judges already ruled this requirement illegal in a different state, but all those tGOP judges being appointed now, might rule differently in the future. We haven't heard any out-and-out incompetents being proposed for the judiciary like happened earlier this year, but perhaps there's simply too much noise coming from DC and it's flying under the radar.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/411462-4000-more-people-lose-medicaid-coverage-in-arkansas-under-new-work

As much as my fellow Irish citizens complain about the HSE, be grateful you don't have it as bad as they do in the US. Having grown up in the US, it's an eye-opener when you no longer have to fret how your medical care will be paid for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭eire4

Not complaining simply stating a fact. He won the electoral college and that is why he is president today.

• Advertisement

Igotadose wrote: »
    In Trump-related news (a victory for all those states turned Red), Arkansas just dropped 4000 from the medicaid rolls due to 'work requirements.'

Whether or not work requirements are applicable is a matter of debate elsewhere. I've brought this up just as another example of tGOP out-and-out mean-spiritedness. Being on medicaid STINKS. You have very limited assets (something like, you can own a car, a home, and have $3000 in liquid assets). It qualifies you to have your health care paid for by the Federal government, and its usually the lowest-quality healthcare available. Most doctors don't take it (this isn't medicare, it's medicaid.)

And of course, this disproportionately impacts minorities, which is what the goal (imo) of the 'work requirement' legislation was about in the first place. Federal judges already ruled this requirement illegal in a different state, but all those tGOP judges being appointed now, might rule differently in the future. We haven't heard any out-and-out incompetents being proposed for the judiciary like happened earlier this year, but perhaps there's simply too much noise coming from DC and it's flying under the radar.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/411462-4000-more-people-lose-medicaid-coverage-in-arkansas-under-new-work

As much as my fellow Irish citizens complain about the HSE, be grateful you don't have it as bad as they do in the US. Having grown up in the US, it's an eye-opener when you no longer have to fret how your medical care will be paid for.

Alot of scare mongering there.
    You might want to report the facts behind your sensationalism .

The Washington Post wrote an article on the 'MEDICAID WORK REQUIREMENT' , and called it the least controversial thing the Trump Administration has done .
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2018/01/11/medicaid-work-requirements-are-one-of-the-least-politically-controversial-things-trump-has-done/?utm_term=.4e97d425ea4b

Arkansas’ work requirement only applies to non-disabled adults in the state’s Obamacare Medicaid expansion. It doesn’t apply to disabled or elderly individuals, pregnant women, parents with dependent children, anyone who is caring for a disabled individual, and a whole host of other folks.
    Arkansas’ work requirement only applies to non-disabled, working-age adults.

Harvard and Politco did polling on this measure and found that the majority of Americans were in favour .
    In fact DEMOCRATS were 64% in favour of this measure.
    Effectively imposing a 20 hour minimum weekly work requirement for medicaid recipients.

https://www.politico.com/f/?id=0000015e-a4d7-d873-adfe-bdd740140000
    The Public’s Views on Requiring Low-Income, Able-Bodied Adults Without Young Children to Work in Order to Receive Medicaid Benefits, by Party Identification

- Total Rep Dem Ind
    Favor 72 84 64 77
    Oppose 24 10 32 18
    Don’t know/ Refused 4 6 4 5

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement