Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump is the President Mark IV (Read Mod Warning in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,949 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Nody wrote: »
    Remember how Trump is such a great financial master mind and his plans will balance the budget (as he demanded back in 2012 of Obama coming out of an economical crisis compared to Trump at the peak of one? Yea about that...

Always good to see the Republicans being "fiscally conservative" and "not spending your dollars" at the peak of the economy controlling both houses and the President slot so no excuses here...

Qoutes from Bloomberg's report.

Whoever would have thought that someone who had to be continuously bailed out by his dad and had multiple business failures would be awful at running an economy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

everlast75 wrote: »
    My point was clear.

You've a problem with those that don't contribute.

I'm asking you to address Trump's rampant tax fraud. Does his refusal to pay taxes not make people like you who support him a mug?

Getting away with not paying taxes is probably the biggest dream I have in my life, some people want world peace or homes for the homeless or unicorns or whatever, I just never want to pay a cent of tax to any government anywhere ever again.

His alleged tax evasion , which every time you get even slightly cornered you just pivot to a new allegation , were it true or false would have no impact on how I viewed him personally and may if anything have a positive impact on how I view him in economic terms

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Getting away with not paying taxes is probably the biggest dream I have in my life, some people want world peace or homes for the homeless or unicorns or whatever, I just never want to pay a cent of tax to any government anywhere ever again.

His alleged tax evasion , which every time you get even slightly cornered you just pivot to a new allegation , were it true or false would have no impact on how I viewed him personally and may if anything have a positive impact on how I view him in economic terms

Good man.

Sweet. You support a guy who has dodged millions in taxes, would emulate him and not pay taxes if you could, yet believe those that can't afford healthcare shouldn't get any.

You obviously like people who are self absorbed, greedy and morally bankrupt.

I hope your kids select better role models.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

You have a signature that asks people to report welfare fraud but tax fraud is all good? Praising white collar crime is odd to say least, particularly given the damage it did globally a decade ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭relax carry on

You do realise tax is a necessity in order for a state to function? I know Trump has issues with basics such as this but surely you can see that tax is required.

How much tax and spending of the tax are separate issues. But no tax whatsoever?

For clarity, I have a particular distaste for those who evade tax. Since Trump is obviously up there it's just another one of the reasons why I consider him to be failure as a human being let alone business man or POTUS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭autumn2018

Beta O' rourke could be a possible challenger to trump in 2020

batgoat wrote: »
    You have a signature that asks people to report welfare fraud but tax fraud is all good? Praising white collar crime is odd to say least, particularly given the damage it did globally a decade ago.

Welfare fraud and government mis spending is probably the biggest reason I don't want to pay tax. Also tax money not showing up is far less of a crime than the rampant waste of the tax money still collected. The two are not comparible

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Welfare fraud and government mis spending is probably the biggest reason I don't want to pay tax. Also tax money not showing up is far less of a crime than the rampant waste of the tax money still collected. The two are not comparible

You're right. they aren't comparable. Tax fraud costs the state magnitudes more than welfare fraud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Anthracite

I guess we can put you in the same box as those who never want to work in their lives and live off the efforts of others.

Thanks for clarifying.

• Advertisement

The impact of tax evasion and avoidance tends to outweigh welfare fraud in terms of cost in Ireland and UK. Those doing it would have no substantial impact on their lives by just paying it... So the comparison is fair.

You're right. they aren't comparable. Tax fraud costs the state magnitudes more than welfare fraud.
    Anthracite wrote: »
    I guess we can put you in the same box as those who never want to work in their lives and live off the efforts of others.

Thanks for clarifying.

completely false equivalents. Tax avoision costs the state nothing, they don't have it to be costed it.

and nothing wrong with wanting to work and keep all the fruits of my labour rather than have people I didn't vote for, that do not represent my interests, squander it.

completely false equivalents. Tax avoision costs the state nothing, they don't have it to be costed it.

and nothing wrong with wanting to work and keep all the fruits of my labour rather than have people I didn't vote for, that do not represent my interests, squander it.

The fact it doesn't reach the public pocket doesn't make it a false equivalent... Also if tax intake is lower due to large-scale evasion that hits the taxpayer such as yourself, resulting in higher taxes. It's naive to say what you don't know, doesn't hurt.

Perfectly equivalent equivalents. Until you start providing your own roads, your own police force and all the other things that create a society where companies can exist and people can actually act as economic agents, you are just as big a parasite as any aspiring career doler.

Can you explain how tax avoision costs the state nothing?

Your first statement is completely devoid of logic.

As for your second statement, if you think for one moment that all you take from the State in terms of services, is covered by your contribution, you are simply delusional. Therefore, I along with others contribute to you and your kin.

If I were to say "we think you're morally wrong and we don't want to help you", make no mistake - you and yours would be screwed. Let that sink in.

That said, I can't argue with you as you acknowledge your ethics are non existent and don't care.

Thankfully, in a functioning society, you're outnumbered as otherwise the state would grind to a halt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Tax avoidance costs the state nothing??

https://www.revenue.ie/en/self-assessment-and-self-employment/tax-avoidance/index.aspx

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Elizabeth Warren has provided proof of her native American heritage.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/elizabeth-warren-dna-test-results_us_5bc4648ce4b040bb4e840fd6

I wonder will Trump keep up the "Pocahontas" remarks.
    I wonder will he give €1m to charity like he said he would

So the Boston Globe has published a correction on their initial story about  Warrens ancestry. 
    At first they said she was between 1/32 and 1/512th Natve American.
    And now htey have corrected it to say she lies somewhere between 1/64th and 1/1024th Native American.
    Which places her optimistically at 2%, which is on a par for most American.
    Maybe Trump should give 2% of the bet.

so thats the second false flag story the anti-Trumpers have run with in 2 days.
    first we had the Trump loves Robert E Lee story.. which NBC later came out and corrected, and now the left are chasing after basic maths errors from the Boston Globe .

I really dont see how thats winning votes .
    Meanwhile as I stated , the Trump Administration have launched Minority Buisness  week for disadvantaged communities.
    Its almost as if the main stream media are ignoring the real news, whilst pandering to their loyal click bait anti-Trumpers.

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Elizabeth Warren has provided proof of her native American heritage.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/elizabeth-warren-dna-test-results_us_5bc4648ce4b040bb4e840fd6

I wonder will Trump keep up the "Pocahontas" remarks.
    I wonder will he give €1m to charity like he said he would

So the Boston Globe has published a correction on their initial story about  Warrens ancestry. 
    And now htey have corrected it to say she lies somewhere between 1/64th and 1/1024th Native American.

first we had the Trump loves Robert E Lee story.. which NBC later came out and corrected, and now the left are chasing after basic maths errors from the Boston Globe .

Meanwhile as I stated , the Trump Administration have launched Minority Buisness  week for disadvantaged communities.
    Its almost as if the main stream media are ignoring the real news, whilst pandering to their loyal click bait anti-Trumpers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,741 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

everlast75 wrote: »

As for your second statement, if you think for one moment that all you take from the State in terms of services, is covered by your contribution, you are simply delusional. Therefore, I along with others contribute to you and your kin.

This is usually where it ends up with so-called libertarians. They whine piercingly about government evil and oppressiveness, but they. never. want. to. give. up. their. goodies. And they don't realize that safe roads, clean water, healthy food, are ALL things that the government takes care of for them on their behalf.

But, it's easy for the modern tGOP'er: the enemy is the evil 'Democrat' party; that's 'them' and I don't wanna share with them. Especially easy with Trump who regularly points out who 'them' is - dancing dark people on 9/11, rapists from Mexico, MS-13 invading the wife's jam, etc.

• Advertisement

Nody wrote: »
    Remember how Trump is such a great financial master mind and his plans will balance the budget (as he demanded back in 2012 of Obama coming out of an economical crisis compared to Trump at the peak of one? Yea about that...
    The U.S. budget deficit grew to $779 billion in Donald Trump’s first full fiscal year as president, the highest since 2012 amid tax cuts and spending increases.

The budget gap for the 12 months through September was 17 percent wider than the same 12-month period a year earlier, as spending rose 3.2 percent and revenue gained just 0.4 percent, according to a Treasury Department report released Monday. The deficit as a share of total economic output was 3.9 percent in fiscal 2018, up 0.4 percentage point from the prior year. The government’s fiscal year runs from Oct. 1 to Sept. 30.

The budget deficit has continued to climb in recent years, raising concerns the country’s debt load of more than $21.5 trillion will grow out of control. The Treasury reported this month that the government paid $523 billion in total interest in fiscal 2018, the highest on record.

But the Congressional Budget Office, a nonpartisan arm of Congress, forecasts government spending will outweigh revenue by $973 billion in fiscal 2019 and more than $1 trillion the next year. That would be the first time the deficit exceeds $1 trillion since 2012, when the American economy was still recovering from the Great Recession.
    Always good to see the Republicans being "fiscally conservative" and "not spending your dollars" at the peak of the economy controlling both houses and the President slot so no excuses here...

Qoutes from Bloomberg's report.
    All the angles on that have been covered, the article has nothing new to say in it.

Igotadose wrote: »
    This is usually where it ends up with so-called libertarians. They whine piercingly about government evil and oppressiveness, but they. never. want. to. give. up. their. goodies. And they don't realize that safe roads, clean water, healthy food, are ALL things that the government takes care of for them on their behalf.

But, it's easy for the modern tGOP'er: the enemy is the evil 'Democrat' party; that's 'them' and I don't wanna share with them. Especially easy with Trump who regularly points out who 'them' is - dancing dark people on 9/11, rapists from Mexico, MS-13 invading the wife's jam, etc.

im not quite sure how 'healthy food' comes into it. Private businesses provide clean water in many countries, similarly with roads. Now imagine if the government only did those things and didn't pay to keep junkies alive or waste money on foreign aid , asylum seekers, the dole, or any of the other wasteful spending they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

In most jurisdictions, a clear distinction is drawn between tax avoidance and tax evasion as follows:

Tax avoidance involves the use of the tax laws with their inherent rules, reliefs and credits, to pay only as much tax as required by law. Tax avoidance is generally held to be entirely legal.

Tax evasion involves the non- declaration of taxable income, gains or wealth in a way that is not allowed for in the tax laws. It is generally considered to be illegal.

The Revenue Commissioners here in Ireland have recently (over the past couple of decades) begun to blur the above distinction, by referring to "Tax avoidance can be described as using tax reliefs and allowances in a way in which they were not intended to be used." In another place, the Revenue says "People are fully entitled to structure their tax affairs in a tax efficient manner. However there is a difference between claiming the benefits of a relief, exemption or allowance in the way intended by the legislature, and unacceptable tax avoidance". Regrettably,the Revenue is therefore abusing the language by characterising what it calls "unacceptable tax avoidance" in one place simply as "tax avoidance" in another.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I've read a fair few posts of yours over the years and I think I can distil your political ideology to the following fact: You seem to really hate poor people.

I mean, it's fairly logical that if an individual who owes, say $1 million to the state in taxes doesn't pay then that's a shortfall which must be made up by those who didn't win the birth lottery. Of course, if one applies your logic then it can be extrapolated that there is an infinite pool of wealth since nonpayment of said $1 million makes no difference then welfare fraud isn't a problem. The whole argument is so ridiculous that I genuinely don't know what compels you to make it unless, as I said above you just hate poor people.

The second issue is that capital is producing bigger gains than labour. Bill Gates isn't incredibly wealthy because he gets a huge salary. He owns assets and likely various other things I wouldn't understand which produce his income. Ditto for anyone in a similar position. Anyone who inherits wealth like this needn't work a day in their whole lives. The idea that all wealthy people are working their socks off is a nonsense that falls apart upon any sort of inspection.

If you ultimately do hate poor people then I'd rather you just came out and said it as opposed to peddling this weird apologist narrative for crony capitalism and corporatism that most people thankfully see through. It's led to a horribly divided society in the US where the working classes can't even afford healthcare for goodness sake.

Of course, you might be happy about it. I mean, your man is in the white house. Your party controls both houses and another of the right crowd just got appointed to the supreme court.

But what happens when the pendulum swings the other way? Take Jeremy Corbyn in the UK or Sanders in the US. Would you be happy if they got in? What if they did what Trump was doing and undermined the checks and balances on executive power for their own ends? I'm guessing you'd object but since you were happy for Trump and the GOP to do it you would have already weakened your own position with the result being the current state of US Politics. Today, you're happy it's Trump but tomorrow it might be someone of an opposing ideology.

Supporters of a left-wing would-be president would be able to dismiss your views as nonsense or as fake news and the noise which emanated from you above would fall on deaf ears.

I don't know what the way forward for the US is but cheerleading for the problems which have caused the status quo seems to be a fairly awful idea.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

im not quite sure how 'healthy food' comes into it. Private businesses provide clean water in many countries, similarly with roads. Now imagine if the government only did those things and didn't pay to keep junkies alive or waste money on foreign aid , asylum seekers, the dole, or any of the other wasteful spending they do.

Christ. I'd like to think you're a parody account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,741 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Who inspects your food at the meat packers? Who establishes the standards?

Industry *participates*, but doesn't set the rules (see: Minimata, Japan, or any one of the myriad eco-disasters when industry is allowed to do what they want.)

And, as for countries who have privatized water systems, who regulates them (and, extra credit, what happens when the regulations are ignored, like, say, in Flint, Mich?)

Feel free to join one of the many dole bashing threads on After Hours, this is the Trump thread, not sure how we've ratholed on taxes but I guess this is a Trump thread and he's big into avoiding them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

RIGOLO wrote: »

[...]

Because clearly the whole issue is NOT about votes. Nobody credible is claiming the Warren DNA thing is about currying favour at the polls (IIRC her seat is fairly safe); in fact most reports have speculated that the entire purpose of it is to clear the ground for a run at the Democratic nomination, removing potential angles of attack. Not exactly a wild theory given her name has floated about in conversations thereof.

And further to that, the only reason it has even made the news at all is the predilection of the sitting President to refer to rivals or antagonists by nicknames. You deride 'clickbait' yet ignore the cause - a President who indulges in the medium of clickbait. Again, editorialised articles have commented that by even conducting the DNA test, Warren is just opening herself up to further scorn. So clearly on looking even a smidge deeper, it's not about gaining her more votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

So while the left are trying to win votes by proving someone has between 0.1 and 1% native-American DNA, in a questionable test.

Can we start with why you call the test questionable? Do you have some issues with the bona fides of the man who analysed it?

So the Boston Globe has published a correction on their initial story about Warrens ancestry.

Meanwhile as I stated , the Trump Administration have launched Minority Buisness week for disadvantaged communities.

The Boston Globe states that the results of the test are in line with what she claimed from her family history. I don't believe she ever claimed to be any more native than that. Trump was aware of this when he challenged her. So, no, he should give the full amount. What this is is more birther nonsense from Trump. He was wrong about Obama and he was wrong about Warren. Simple as that really. But whether he was right or wrong about either is really irrelevant to his inherent racism behind each claim. And that speaks loudly no matter how many minorities he invites to the White House.

And that's not what a false flag means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭autumn2018

I've read a fair few posts of yours over the years and I think I can distil your political ideology to the following fact: You seem to really hate poor people.

I mean, it's fairly logical that if an individual who owes, say $1 million to the state in taxes doesn't pay then that's a shortfall which must be made up by those who didn't win the birth lottery. Of course, if one applies your logic then it can be extrapolated that there is an infinite pool of wealth since nonpayment of said $1 million makes no difference then welfare fraud isn't a problem. The whole argument is so ridiculous that I genuinely don't know what compels you to make it unless, as I said above you just hate poor people.

The second issue is that capital is producing bigger gains than labour. Bill Gates isn't incredibly wealthy because he gets a huge salary. He owns assets and likely various other things I wouldn't understand which produce his income. Ditto for anyone in a similar position. Anyone who inherits wealth like this needn't work a day in their whole lives. The idea that all wealthy people are working their socks off is a nonsense that falls apart upon any sort of inspection.

If you ultimately do hate poor people then I'd rather you just came out and said it as opposed to peddling this weird apologist narrative for crony capitalism and corporatism that most people thankfully see through. It's led to a horribly divided society in the US where the working classes can't even afford healthcare for goodness sake.

Of course, you might be happy about it. I mean, your man is in the white house. Your party controls both houses and another of the right crowd just got appointed to the supreme court.

But what happens when the pendulum swings the other way? Take Jeremy Corbyn in the UK or Sanders in the US. Would you be happy if they got in? What if they did what Trump was doing and undermined the checks and balances on executive power for their own ends? I'm guessing you'd object but since you were happy for Trump and the GOP to do it you would have already weakened your own position with the result being the current state of US Politics. Today, you're happy it's Trump but tomorrow it might be someone of an opposing ideology.

Supporters of a left-wing would-be president would be able to dismiss your views as nonsense or as fake news and the noise which emanated from you above would fall on deaf ears.

I don't know what the way forward for the US is but cheerleading for the problems which have caused the status quo seems to be a fairly awful idea.
    instead of beng triggered by trump we should come up with a really good slogan, or meme, whatever

• Advertisement

Trump already rolling over for the Saudis. Quelle surprise.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-45863334
    Mr Trump addressed snatched questions from reporters over helicopter engine noise at the White House, describing King Salman's denial as "very, very strong".

"It sounded to me like maybe these could have been rogue killers," he added. "Who knows?"

My 2 year-old's denials that he was eating the icecream that was all over his face were very, very strong. Clearly someone else put it there.

Trump is an idiot, or thinks his fans or idiots. It has to be one or the other.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement