Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump is the President Mark IV (Read Mod Warning in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭relax carry on

God the last few pages have been painful reading.

Trumps presidency is just a lurching media fest from the pointless/childless problems he creates for himself to the quite serious domestic and international situations he again creates for himself. There's so much of it, it's next to impossible to figure out what to focus on. While we can all agree (apart from the die hard Trump supporters) that he's a terrible human being, is this never ending stream of Trump stories a deliberate ploy by him to confuse us all or is he just as he seems; a con man, narcissist, racist, failed businessman, etc who has found himself unbelievably in over his head? Does anyone believe that he knows what he's doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I'd say Harris and Warren are dead certs for the primary race given how they've been positioning themselves lately.

I don't really see Booker as a viable candidate at the moment. He seems a little wet behind the ears.

Then there's the old guard of Biden and Saunders who might consider a run.

Assuming his age isn't an issue, I think Biden would be the most devastating to Trump of the above possibilities.

Aside from those 5 democrats, are there anyone else being seriously considered for 2020.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭autumn2018

omg just seen on twitter that trump was walking in the rain with melania and didnt cover her with the umbrella
    very misoginistic:mad:

sorry cant link tweet but its on cnn

• Registered Users Posts: 23,837 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I take you have all seen the Trump painting now hanging in the White House?

$

The guy is a total lunatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

$

Narcissistic Personality Disorder in all its glory.

• Advertisement

To be fair, there is a Democrat version too. You notice that both paintings feature a symbolic woman walking toward the table as a sign that it is only a matter of time before there is a female president.

image?url=https%3A%2F%2Ftimedotcom.files.wordpress.com%2F2018%2F03%2Fthe-democratic-club-30x45-final.jpg&w=800&q=85

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

In fairness, I think the painting is quite a good take on a meeting of the Republican Presidents Club... He IS POTUS after all, whether you like or loathe him, and he has joined an illustrious club as a Republican one.

Mind you, it kinda reminds me of the hotel bar scene in the Shining... And we know that didn't end too well for the fella who was looking back to the past..... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭autumn2018

$

..and then i called her HORSEFACE :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    In fairness, I think the painting is quite a good take on a meeting of the Republican Presidents Club... He IS POTUS after all, whether you like or loathe him, and he has joined an illustrious club as a Republican one.

Mind you, it kinda reminds me of the hotel bar scene in the Shining... And we know that didn't end too well for the fella who was looking back to the past..... :eek:

Yeah, but when I look at Obama I feel good. When I look at Trump I see a loathsome creature. I'm biased, of course, but with good reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,255 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So Donald trump is saying he won't/isn't to blame for poor performance by the GOP in the mid terms. So he's already getting his excuses in.

• Advertisement

It'll be interesting to see his response to Manafort. He has attacked everyone from Robert De Niro to his own AG on Twitter but he has pretty much left Stormy Daniels alone (amongst all the various insults and childish nicknames for others, I think he even referred to her as Ms. Clifford in one Tweet). I think that is very telling. It obviously is close to the nerve for him. If he tweets nothing about Manafort and suddenly stops all his no collusion tweets, that would also suggest he is getting very worried.

This post hasn't aged well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I'd say Harris and Warren are dead certs for the primary race given how they've been positioning themselves lately.

I don't really see Booker as a viable candidate at the moment. He seems a little wet behind the ears.

Then there's the old guard of Biden and Saunders who might consider a run.

Assuming his age isn't an issue, I think Biden would be the most devastating to Trump of the above possibilities.

Aside from those 5 democrats, are there anyone else being seriously considered for 2020.

Kirsten Gillibrand will at least be in the primaries I would assume. Corporate side of the party see her as next Hillary.

If Beto o'Rourke wins Texas I think he becomes new front-runner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So Donald trump is saying he won't/isn't to blame for poor performance by the GOP in the mid terms. So he's already getting his excuses in.

But you can guarantee he'll be singing his own praises if they pick up anything in the Senate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,711 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

This is yet another example of Trump telling it like it is!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/230400303349002240

He was interviewed by AP, and the transcript is quite extraordinary really, but in terms of the deficit this was the exchange.

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1052396313663410178

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,949 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

He is an utter idiot.

The idea that he is a financial genius was laid to waste by the revelations in the NYT, his debt history while being a property developer and his numerous legal losses.

How or why people still believe that he has some "master plan" that only the intelligent get and the rest are just "haters", boggles the ****ing mind.

He has no clue. About anything. He has no clue how to treat his family, his wives, his "friends", his business partners, his workers, no idea of how to interact socially, no idea how to negotiate, no idea of geography, no idea of history, no self awareness, no capacity for empathy, no willingness to learn, no vocabulary, no personal redeeming features. Nothing.

The only things protecting him at the moment are the hard right "christian" base, his enablers in congress, leaders of countries who prop him up with money and or praise in order to get him to look the other way, his 24/7 propaganda machine and moreover the fact that the US Constitution gives extraordinary lee way to a sitting president. If any one of those were not there, he would be toast.

Yes, before his fans say it - I know he is the "president". But sooner or later one of those pillars will give way, it is inevitable. And when they do, it'll be a long long fall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭circadian

In terms of Democrat opposition in 2020 there's a long list of potentials that they need to whittle down quickly. I'd agree that Boden would have no problem talking **** right back at Trump. Beto could be a leftfield choice as would Mitch Landrieu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,667 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Trump was very quick early to defend Jamal Kashoggi, esp as he was a journalist. This was back covering as the Saudis were emboldened by Trump's disparagement of journalists. If they feared a backlash the Saudis would not have done what they did. Trump ultimately has ownership of it.
    He is now backsliding on holding the Saudis to account. Even the GOP don't support him on that. Because of Kushner the Saudi prince thought he could do what he like, Kushner should go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

everlast75 wrote: »

Yes, before his fans say it - I know he is the "president". But sooner or later one of those pillars will give way, it is inevitable. And when they do, it'll be a long long fall.

Mueller is gone into silent mode, well holding off on jailing people for a few weeks (thanks which hunt!) and the right are all cock-a-hoop about getting a little defamation win against Stormy. But I reckon when these elections are over the **** is going to start hitting the fan again for Trumpski. Mueller is holding back because of this stupid rule they have where you cant investigate the weeks leading up to an election.

But come the 10th of November it will be a different story altogether:cool::cool: it will all be about getting trump into a room to perjure himself, he wont do the interview so I could see Mueller report coming out sooner than expected. The dems will have locked out congress and have control of the committees and will get down to asking some real questions (F**k off Nunes) about all this crap, no more protecting Trump.

Hopefully they will get the Senate as well (maybe) and will control the narrative and the direction of senate committees and again ask the real questions. Start looking into Trumps money trail.

There is a whole load of a s**t storms coming down the line for Trump and he will have NO ONE to protect him.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,667 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The odds of the Dems taking the Senate are low but they will take the House of Reps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Trump comparing the Jamal Khashoggi situation to the Kavanaugh situation.
    “Here we go again with you know you’re guilty until proven innocent,” he tells the Associated Press, “I don’t like that. We just went through that with Justice Kavanaugh and he was innocent all the way as far as I’m concerned. So we have to find out what happened.”

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/10/trump-calls-the-saudis-as-innocent-as-brett-kavanaugh.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/10/trump-calls-the-saudis-as-innocent-as-brett-kavanaugh.html

I'm sure Kavanaugh really appreciates the comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,949 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Trump - "People are innocent until proven guilty"

Central Park 5 - "Excuse me?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Trump - "People are innocent until proven guilty"

Central Park 5 - "Excuse me?"

But the central park 5 were proven guilty (we now know thats not the case) ,but at the time we had a guilty verdict and a signed confession

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

But the central park 5 were proven guilty (we now know thats not the case) ,but at the time we had a guilty verdict and a signed confession

But his advertisement was before the trial was over wasn't it?

EDIT: It was. I just checked the wikipedia. And even after the convictions were vacated he wrote this in 2014.
    After the city announced in June 2014 that they would settle with the defendants for more than $40 million, Trump wrote an opinion article for the New York Daily News. He called the settlement "a disgrace" and said that the group's guilt was still likely: "Settling doesn't mean innocence. ... Speak to the detectives on the case and try listening to the facts. These young men do not exactly have the pasts of angels."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

But his advertisement was before the trial was over wasn't it?

EDIT: It was. I just checked the wikipedia. And even after the convictions were vacated he wrote this in 2014.

I think the real issue for me with the central 5 is not that he thought they were guilty at the time (many did) but he never really walked it back when they were cleared when it would have been the right thing to do and would have been a sensible political move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Trump called for the accused to be executed 12 days after the attack, and even took out a full page add in multiple newspapers about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭relax carry on

He is an utter idiot.

The idea that he is a financial genius was laid to waste by the revelations in the NYT, his debt history while being a property developer and his numerous legal losses.

How or why people still believe that he has some "master plan" that only the intelligent get and the rest are just "haters", boggles the ****ing mind.

He has no clue. About anything. He has no clue how to treat his family, his wives, his "friends", his business partners, his workers, no idea of how to interact socially, no idea how to negotiate, no idea of geography, no idea of history, no self awareness, no capacity for empathy, no willingness to learn, no vocabulary, no personal redeeming features. Nothing.

The only things protecting him at the moment are the hard right "christian" base, his enablers in congress, leaders of countries who prop him up with money and or praise in order to get him to look the other way, his 24/7 propaganda machine and moreover the fact that the US Constitution gives extraordinary lee way to a sitting president. If any one of those were not there, he would be toast.

Great summation of Trump there. But what does it say about the US system when someone who is so obviously unqualified for pretty much anything and seems to unable or unwilling to learn becomes POTUS?

This issue is much bigger than Trump as president. What happened to the US that allowed someone like Trump in? Granted he didn't get in on his own merit/talents as he was assisted by internal and external interference in the election process. But not all of his votes came from that interference process. Don't know if anyone has done any work on what percentage of votes came from the interference versus his or the GOP's true believers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

He still thinks they're guilty though... Said they were in 2016.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,711 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The point I was making that back in 2012, when Obama was POTUS, Trump declared that deficits were not to be accepted.

Now, when asked why he is not only keeping the deficits but massively increasing them, his answer was that he needed to spend the money.

So he basically has no policy on spending. Whatever happens to be desired at the time is bought, regardless of the funds available.

Well, if you needed to spend the money then that makes it alright. Obviously Obama was spending on lollipops and dancing bears.

In the same interview he was asked why he hadn't visited any foreign based troops, and he said he was too busy. Like with all that golf I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Water John wrote: »
    Trump was very quick early to defend Jamal Kashoggi, esp as he was a journalist. This was back covering as the Saudis were emboldened by Trump's disparagement of journalists. If they feared a backlash the Saudis would not have done what they did. Trump ultimately has ownership of it.
    He is now backsliding on holding the Saudis to account. Even the GOP don't support him on that. Because of Kushner the Saudi prince thought he could do what he like, Kushner should go.

If you consider what that says more broadly, it's that not only is Trump happy to lend credibility to the claims of innocence of a dictator for orchestrating the brutal murder of a journalist who was resident in the US and worked for one of their major publications, and that in itself is far beyond what you'd expect of a president from the the greater Republican morass, who would at least pay lip service to the idea that some sort of reckoning was due, but that he also isn't smart enough to be able to toe that line when left to his own devices, and has to be roughly shoved back on message, because he doesn't understand diplomacy or even communcation, beyond bellowing obscenities at a captive, illiterate audience.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement