Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump is the President Mark IV (Read Mod Warning in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

everlast75 wrote: »
    Pay no heed.

Sure the line out of the right was that Obama caused the racial tensions in the US.

I've even seen it over here where Trump supporters described Obama as the most racially divisive president of modern times. Outside of being black, I can't see what was divisive about him. He certainly didn't partake in the Us versus Them politics of Trump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,612 ✭✭✭✭Water John

By being black, he made them more angry and that's his fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

No I get that, Trump doesn't care about being unfair to foreign workers, because he puts America first. His statement is very consice in that regard.
    What I don't get in this context is the very touching concern of Treasury Sec. Steven Mnuchin for the poor, put upon workers of Rusal and their unfair treatment.
    That is definitely not on message.
    This could never, of course, have anything to do with the fact that Oleg Deripaska is a dear friend of Vladimir Putin. And that he has been mentioned in connection with Russian meddling in the US elections.
    Donald has been quiet on this one, but one suspects that he will nonchalantly and quietly ignore sanctions being lifted.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/07/27/politics/mnuchin-russia-sanctions-rusal/index.html

Just to correct you: Trump LIES and says he puts America first. Many of his Mar A Lago workers are underpaid immigrants, most of his business is syphoned off to avoid paying taxes. His actual business is money laundering. His daughter bases her businesses abroad to reduce costs etc etc.

Its important to be accurate.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I've even seen it over here where Trump supporters described Obama as the most racially divisive president of modern times. Outside of being black, I can't see what was divisive about him. He certainly didn't partake in the Us versus Them politics of Trump.

From a certain viewpoint though , he did.

He spoke up about Police violence against people of colour. He sided with the BLM movement in the aftermath of the Trayvon Martin and Micheal Brown incidents.

All that was seen as the President siding with "them" and not the "us" that conservatives would align themselves with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    From a certain viewpoint though , he did.

He spoke up about Police violence against people of colour. He sided with the BLM movement in the aftermath of the Trayvon Martin and Micheal Brown incidents.

All that was seen as the President siding with "them" and not the "us" that conservatives would align themselves with.

That's true. I can see why he would take a position on the excessive shooting of blacks by the US police services but he should have waited on more information on the Michael Brown shooting before taking a public position. It weakened the message, in my opinion and was certainly exploited by the right.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That's true. I can see why he would take a position on the excessive shooting of blacks by the US police services but he should have waited on more information on the Michael Brown shooting before taking a public position. It weakened the message, in my opinion and was certainly exploited by the right.

No question , definitely spoke to soon there and gave the right an "in" to accuse him of not supporting the police etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

29% black approval rating, ermm that seems outside the current narrative.https://twitter.com/Rasmussen_Poll/status/1025071229835927554

Very interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,811 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

No I get that, Trump doesn't care about being unfair to foreign workers, because he puts America first. His statement is very consice in that regard.
    What I don't get in this context is the very touching concern of Treasury Sec. Steven Mnuchin for the poor, put upon workers of Rusal and their unfair treatment.
    That is definitely not on message.
    This could never, of course, have anything to do with the fact that Oleg Deripaska is a dear friend of Vladimir Putin. And that he has been mentioned in connection with Russian meddling in the US elections.
    Donald has been quiet on this one, but one suspects that he will nonchalantly and quietly ignore sanctions being lifted.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/07/27/politics/mnuchin-russia-sanctions-rusal/index.html

So the Dems seeking votes in the US steel industry states should realistically be shouting out how Don's Sec of Treasury is promoting foreign steel workers industry jobs over that of the US industry. How are the local GOP incumbents reacting to Steve's speech?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,811 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Putting up a lazy question here, ref requirements to run for US president. I think some-one mentioned that not only could one run for the office if one was a native-born US citizen but could also run if one had US citizenship through a parent being a native-born US citizen. The Examiner is running a short story on Michael Healy-Rae having US citizenship as his mother, Julie Healy, was born in the US [Wilmington, Delaware - grew up in NY]. The Examiner, tongue-in-cheek, posed the notion of Michael running for the Oval Office job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Technically yes. He's over 35 and is what could probably be classed a natural born citizen of the United States. He hadn't lived in the US for fourteen years though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Also, I the incumbent is lieing again and confusing what Great Britain and the U.K is.

The lieing is to do with him claiming that queen Elizabeth kept him waiting when there is video evidence of her waiting for several minutes for him. He does know there are video evidende to refute his claim doesn't he ?

He's confusing the Queen with Putin. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Taytoland wrote: »
    29% black approval rating, ermm that seems outside the current narrative.https://twitter.com/Rasmussen_Poll/status/1025071229835927554

Very interesting.

More interesting if not Rasmussen

• Registered Users Posts: 15,696 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I saw a very good tweet in relation to the clearly ongoing election tempering that is still going on.

Paraphrasing: We need to face the fact that either Trump told Putin to stop meddling and Putin knows Trump has zero power against him and is thus ignoring him, or Trump didn't say anything. Neither one is a good image for POTUS.

Well Bolton told us yesterday that Putin said Trump brought it up, first thing.
    Now that is straight from the Press Podium in the WH. So it's def true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

There is an interesting story going around about a new member of the New York Times editorial board and tweets they sent out in the past.

I'd link sources but I'm on the phone.

Anyway the NYT are standing by their new editorial board member after it emerged that they sent racist tweets back in 2014.

Tweets were like "Are white people genetically predisposed to burn faster in the sun, thus logically being only fit to live underground like groveling goblins"

They refered to white people as "dogs"

And they have used the hashtag #CancelWhitePeople.

Now the person in question happens to be young, Asian and a woman, her name is Sarah Jeong.

The NYT are standing by her claiming that she was just countering racism directed at her.

The point of my post though is that it's situations like this that it's no wonder Trump is popular.

People are sick of the double standards.

A double standard by who though? Has the NYT fired a white guy for similar in the past?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Job growth slows for 2 months in a row: https://www.politico.com/story/2018/08/03/july-2018-jobs-report-760858

Remember, jobs need to be added in order to accommodate new entries to the workforce. Hrm... Slowing job growth, and a huge uptick in Federal debt coming in October to pay for the tax cut. Seems like austerity is just around the corner in the US. Won't that be a hoot...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Igotadose wrote: »
    Job growth slows for 2 months in a row: https://www.politico.com/story/2018/08/03/july-2018-jobs-report-760858

Remember, jobs need to be added in order to accommodate new entries to the workforce. Hrm... Slowing job growth, and a huge uptick in Federal debt coming in October to pay for the tax cut. Seems like austerity is just around the corner in the US. Won't that be a hoot...

He’ll just blame it on Obama and his base will lap it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Celticfire

A double standard by who though? Has the NYT fired a white guy for similar in the past?

Nope, a white Woman. Quinn Norton

So there is zero evidence of these illegal ballots in 2016. Commission had only one purpose, voter suppression.
    They folded the tent and closed the Commission rather than have the truth exposed.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/aug/03/documents-disprove-white-house-voter-claims-says-ex-member-of-trump-commission

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

Water John wrote: »
    So there is zero evidence of these illegal ballots in 2016. Commission had only one purpose, voter suppression.
    They folded the tent and closed the Commission rather than have the truth exposed.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/aug/03/documents-disprove-white-house-voter-claims-says-ex-member-of-trump-commission

In relation to this, I've been kind of wondering as well how parts of the US seem to wish to make it so hard to vote but it still remains incredibly easy to work illegally.

Surely, an easier task than building the wall is taking on the massive undocumented labour market.

I mean stamp out illegal employment and you don't need a wall. It's no doubt also cheaper to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,696 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Building the wall has nothing to do with the actual problem.

It is a PR stunt, a campaign slogan, bread to the masses.

Whenever anybody talks about building the wall, simply ask them how is it going to be done. What land, who looks after it etc and there are never any answers.

Building the wall is about riling up the voters to blame someone else.

Celticfire wrote: »

Pretty poor from NYT on the face of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

Celticfire wrote: »

So one person defending herself and another going on entirely unprovoked.

Certainly I don't agree with how she chose to defend herself. It was unlikely to work well against the trolls.

However these do not appear to be the same at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

aloyisious wrote: »
    Putting up a lazy question here, ref requirements to run for US president. I think some-one mentioned that not only could one run for the office if one was a native-born US citizen but could also run if one had US citizenship through a parent being a native-born US citizen. The Examiner is running a short story on Michael Healy-Rae having US citizenship as his mother, Julie Healy, was born in the US [Wilmington, Delaware - grew up in NY]. The Examiner, tongue-in-cheek, posed the notion of Michael running for the Oval Office job.

Sure if that's the case then I could run for president. But I thought you had to be born there?

Trump seems to be trying his hardest to eliminate any support from the black community, attacking both Lebron and Don Lemon. Seems the racist vote is more important to him than the black vote.

Trump seems to be trying his hardest to eliminate any support from the black community, attacking both Lebron and Don Lemon. Seems the racist vote is more important to him than the black vote.

There was a poster on the last thread who said a racist outburst would further endear Trump to him. That's the target audience.Trump obviously doesn't give a damn about anything other than the white vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,919 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Building the wall has nothing to do with the actual problem.

It is a PR stunt, a campaign slogan, bread to the masses.

Whenever anybody talks about building the wall, simply ask them how is it going to be done. What land, who looks after it etc and there are never any answers.

Building the wall is about riling up the voters to blame someone else.

Precisely. Its even admitted now

https://twitter.com/mmfa/status/1025373788156960768?s=19

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Midlife wrote: »
    In relation to this, I've been kind of wondering as well how parts of the US seem to wish to make it so hard to vote but it still remains incredibly easy to work illegally.

Surely, an easier task than building the wall is taking on the massive undocumented labour market.

I mean stamp out illegal employment and you don't need a wall. It's no doubt also cheaper to do.

You can be absolutely sure that any businessman would rather stick his dongle into a meatgrinder than do anything that would have any actual, real impact on illegal workers.
    And politicians know that. And they know where their bribes donations come from.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Everyone remember this one, right?
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1006837823469735936
    Well to everyone's great surprise Trump was completely incorrect once again and NK has done nothing to stop their nuclear program. But don't worry; Trump said they are not a threat any more so it has to be true!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement