Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump is the President Mark IV (Read Mod Warning in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Pelvis wrote: »

And Obama's according to reports although that one was intercepted at the post office. Anyone taking bets on Pelosi?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

weisses wrote: »
    Yeah ...The mob on the left is something to worry about apparently :rolleyes:

I was just browsing Tweets talking about this and there are a few people claiming that the left is doing all this to blame it on the right before the midterms.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So I guess if you want to really go through the Looking Glass, it's clear that George Soros is behind the dastardly scheme to pipe-bomb himself. It'll be curious to see what Trumps says, if anything. Like I said, my fear for US democracy would be these incidents give Trump and his authoritarian enablers the idea to really indulge in his status as the 'Law and Order' candidate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

everlast75 wrote: »
    yeah well, you know - Mitch McConnell couldn't eat in a restaurant, and Jeff Flake was cornered in a lift for 60 seconds, so....

And Steven Scalise got shot.

Until both sides get a hold of their crazies this will happen. Trump has obviously enabled some of the worst elements of the right (saying something in that) but both sides need to call out there crazies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

CNN NY office is being evacuated and bomb squad are on site due to a suspicious package.

Probably just being extra cautious because of the other incidents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Rjd2 wrote: »
    And Steven Scalise got shot.

Until both sides get a hold of their crazies this will happen. Trump has obviously enabled some of the worst elements of the right (saying something in that) but both sides need to call out there crazies.

There are zero members of the Dems who behave in any way like Trump.

Zero.

You'll find all Dems condemning violent behaviour.

Whereas, you'll find the Reps saying there are "bad people on both sides"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Pelvis wrote: »
    CNN NY office is being evacuated and bomb squad are on site due to a suspicious package

Its almost as if someone called them the enemy of the people!!?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭eire4

pixelburp wrote: »
    If this is true, then politics in America is turning a dark, dangerous corner that'll get out of hand very quickly if handled by the wrong people. The worst legislation can be passed in the spirit of 'public safety', or indeed elections have been suspended over weaker excuses.

This is a good point. And we are talking about a country that has already taken a distinct lurch toward the far right and becoming a more authoritarian country. Activity like this can easily be seized on by those who want to see this trend furthered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

CNN reporting that a package containing a pipe bomb addressed to the white house was intercepted. Madness really.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Very interesting and interactive graphic here showing how angry people feel about various aspects of American politics and society. The binary divisions are very clear. Depressingly so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

CNN reporting that a package containing a pipe bomb addressed to the white house was intercepted. Madness really.

Reuters just released a statement that it's not true. The other bombs (Soros, Clintons, Obama, CNN) still active news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,744 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Very interesting and interactive graphic here showing how angry people feel about various aspects of American politics and society. The binary divisions are very clear. Depressingly so.

Well, at least the 'kavanaugh hearings causing more to vote tGOP' nonsense has died off. Why should it? The grotesque abuse of power demonstrated by the GOP has had the expected response: more now saying they're inclined to vote Democratic.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/412905-poll-kavanaugh-effect-spurs-slightly-more-people-to-vote-democrat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,253 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Reuters just released a statement that it's not true. The other bombs (Soros, Clintons, Obama, CNN) still active news.

Reuters are probably quoting the secret service who told CNN that was no package addressed to the White House.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

George Soros, the bogeyman of the right, targeted with an explosive device. Could have killed anyone. Discovered by an employee. This is the danger in rhetoric from the GOP.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45949737

They'll find some way to minimise / justify this stuff.

This is a post I saw on reddit that i think demonstrates very well how cult like Republicans have become.

The big swings in opinion are really something.

That is absolutely stunning! :eek: They're clearly swallowing whatever they are being fed. It is targeted manipulation to achieve that sort of sea change in attitudes over such a short time span.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭weisses

pixelburp wrote: »
    Trump says Russia broke the terms. Ok, let's run with that. Then why scrap the deal altogether, at which point all of the terms become null and void anyway? Good diplomacy would be sanctions, or the threat thereof and immediate talks to restamp the agreement. Not tear the whold thung up. Negating the treaty just validates the original breakage, and allows Russia to uptick any armament it sees... ooh now it makes sense. I guess we're on our way to another proxy war eh? Korea's off the table I guess... Ukraine maybe?

NATO agreeing with trump in regards to Russians violating the pact
    NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said Wednesday that he does not expect a nuclear buildup in Europe as tensions rise over U.S. threats to pull out of a Cold War-era missile agreement, and backed allegations that Russia is violating the pact.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nato-jens-stoltenberg-donald-trump-russia-violating-inf-nuclear-arms-treaty/

Just had a quick look at that and it looks very interesting..

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Just had a quick look at that and it looks very imnteresting.

Yeah, you can play around with it in terms of gender, education and age. It remains very binary and divided no matter what the criteria though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,711 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

But again, why tear up the pact? If Russia are breaking the pact, there must be some deterrent build into it? By tearing up the pact, Russia are now totally free to do whatever they want.

Seems totally counter-productive to me.

Unless..unless Trump wants to fulfill his stated desire to massively increase the US nuclear arsenal and he couldn't do that with the pack in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

T treats foreign policy the same way he deals with real estate. If it exists, tear it down, rebuild it, it may be better, it may be worse, but the important thing is it has his name on it.

Yeah, you can play around with it in terms of gender, education and age. It remains very binary and divided no matter what the criteria though.

Yeah I didn't get to see all of them but I will. This is the stuff I love involving politics. The one it starts with shows how divided democrats and republican voters are and it's down party lines it looks.

In regards to the issue at CNN now I'm surprised something hasn't happemned to a news organisation not Fox News before now. When you think of how hard trump has gone after the so called "fake news" the fact that the newspaper in Maryland has been the only media targeted.

• Advertisement

CNN are reporting that the package which caused the evacuation of the time warner building was addressed to the former CIA director John Brennan c/o CNN but he isn't a contributor to CNN. The news organisations that he is are MSNBC and NBC news may want to be on alert.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Yeah I didn't get to see all of them but I will. This is the stuff I love involving politics. The one it starts with shows how divided democrats and republican voters are and it's down party lines it looks.

In regards to the issue at CNN now I'm surprised something hasn't happemned to a news organisation not Fox News before now. When you think of how hard trump has gone after the so called "fake news" the fact that the newspaper in Maryland has been the only media targeted.

It's only a matter of time before individual journalists are assaulted walking down the street. If it's okay for a GOP politician to body slam a journalist and it's endorsed by POTUS, then some redneck clown will think it's okay to dish out some retribution against the fake news mainstream media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

I picture the usual people gathered in a room trying to decide between a "it's false flag operation", "it never happened" or "they deserved it".

A package has been sent to the office of Debbie Wasserman Schultz who was chairperson of the DNC and I think is still a member of congress.

Edit: yes she's a member of the House of Representatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

This is mad but inevitable when a president uses such violent and dehumanising rhetoric. I'd say there will be a few more bombs found before the day is out. I also think we'll know who did it before the weekend is over - it's very hard to get away with a bombing campaign in this day and age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Interesting how a false report about a bomb addressed to the white house made its way into the media, around about the same time that it was becoming clear that this was an anti-democrat/anti-librul campaign.

Probably worth exploring how that came about. Could have been whispers, could have been intentional.

A good day to bury some news though, worth keeping an eye on what else is going on today...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Absolute insanity. More and more stuff going on in the lead-up to the midterms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,711 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Zorya wrote: »
    Haha I came in here to see if anyone was even in the slightest bit suspicious of a coordinated campaign of mail bombs being sent near the homes of Obama, Soros, Clinton, Schulz maybe and the CNN buildings in the run up to mid terms, but nah, I see ye are all occupied agreeing among yerselves...

Well, the floor is yours and you are free to make whatever opinions you have on the subject.

So what do you think is happening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Zorya wrote: »
    Haha I came in here to see if anyone was even in the slightest bit suspicious of a coordinated campaign of mail bombs being sent near the homes of Obama, Soros, Clinton, Schulz maybe and the CNN buildings in the run up to mid terms, but nah, I see ye are all occupied agreeing among yerselves...
    "Suspicious"? Surely any kind of terrorism qualifies as "suspicious"?

If you mean "suspiciously timed", then it says a lot that the first conclusion you would jump to is that this is a "false flag".

Especially given that virtually all domestic terrorism in the US is carried out by white conservative (christian) men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

seamus wrote: »
    "Suspicious"? Surely any kind of terrorism qualifies as "suspicious"?

If you mean "suspiciously timed", then it says a lot that the first conclusion you would jump to is that this is a "false flag".

Especially given that virtually all domestic terrorism in the US is carried out by white conservative (christian) men.

One of the very few areas in which white men do almost all the work and get almost no credit for it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement