Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump is the President Mark IV (Read Mod Warning in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,225 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Amazing to think McCain's mother is still alive at 106! Also quite sad, no parent should have to bury their child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,112 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

pixelburp wrote: »
    Oh absolutely there's a sizeable portion of the electorate that genuinely believe in the Rapture, the wealth bible, all that fun stuff

Who voted in a serial adulterer, these are not smart people unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,822 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I heard on RTE earlier that the Arizona Governor, Doug Ducey [R] will be the person who'll name John McCain's successor in the senate and presume that it won't be an immediate act without consultation. If the GOP/Republicans do get it wrong, then it's their own fault and a boon to the Dems. I'm wondering how much such a fubar move would get up the noses of veterans, [seeing as there's reportedly a personal interest in their camp of nominations for election] and if Don will obligingly help it along with his tweets. I imagine that GOP HQ is hoping that he keeps his opinions to himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

RIP, one of the few truly great Senators on either side of the aisle, he really stood for integrity and fairness, might not have agreed with his politics but he was one of the few truly genuine people in US politics who would do the right thing regardless of if it was necessarily the right thing for his career. A sad loss and sadly a voice lost who might not have backed Trump's latest SCOTUS nomination!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIjenjANqAk

respect !

Quite the difference when contrasted president Trump

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Trump is retweeting some of his old tweets to push his condolence tweet down the page. This is truly pathetic.

Edit: It gets worse. For all his talk of respecting the flag, he doesn't even know the colours of it.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donald-trump-us-flag-wrong-colour-blue-stripe-a8508556.html
    The US president was photographed adding a blue stripe to an outline of the star-spangled banner, rather than correctly filling in the 13 alternating red and white stripes, representing the original colonies.

This feels so surreal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The way McCain is being canonised by liberals in the American media is another example of how Trump has broken people’s brains. McCain was a racist warmonger whose foreign policy contributed to the deaths of hundreds of thousands in Libya, Afghanistan, Iraq and Yemen. And the US would have "bomb, bomb, bomb"ed Iran too if he'd had his way. He was in the pocket of the Saudis. He had no love for people in his own country either, crawling out of his sick bed to vote against affordable healthcare. His “maverick” representation was bullsh*t. He voted with republicans 86 percent of the time and with Trump about 80 percent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,938 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

He had an ok streak in him but he loved the gun as much as Hilary did and would have been another War President.

If Trump wasn't there, then many who now praise him would be saying he was no loss.

The most intense anti Trump people are as insane as the most Pro Trump people.

He was brave to stand up against Trump...and racists at his rally when it would have been so easy to call Obama unAmerican and be applauded

but yeah he is not perfect but no political is

• Advertisement

but yeah he is not perfect but no political is

Like the President there now, deeply, deeply,deeply flawed but offering a small glimmer of hope rather than the consensus he disrupted which offered more of the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Danzy wrote: »
    Like the President there now, deeply, deeply,deeply flawed but offering a small glimmer of hope rather than the consensus he disrupted which offered more of the same.

I've never witnessed Trump offering proper hope... He goes on about how America's failing, the worst immigration policies, the Chinese are taking their business, his campaign message was basically reliant on 'Making America Great Again' because it's so awful, this included outright racism and misogyny. Wouldn't classify that as remotely hopeful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I’m trying to figure out much of what I’ve read on McCain today was a) not willing to speak ill of the dead b) trolling Trump or c) an indictment of the state of the modern GOP. Sure it was great when he annoyed Trump those 2 or 3 times, but that doesn’t change the record a deeply flawed character.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I’m trying to figure out much of what I’ve read on McCain today was a) not willing to speak ill of the dead b) trolling Trump or c) an indictment of the state of the modern GOP. Sure it was great when he annoyed Trump those 2 or 3 times, but that doesn’t change the record a deeply flawed character.

Bits of all three, I think. It's fair to compare him to his peers, which are the GOP, and he compares well against them. By his own admission, he made a lot of mistakes, got involved in some run-of-th-mill corruption but he was far more respectable than his peers and was motivated by patriotism and empathy. At a minimum, he didn't buy into Trump's BS.

Like Sasse, Flake, Corker and other actually conservative non-sycophants, he came across as a decent person even if I disagree with his politics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Bits of all three, I think. It's fair to compare him to his peers, which are the GOP, and he compares well against them. By his own admission, he made a lot of mistakes, got involved in some run-of-th-mill corruption but he was far more respectable than his peers and was motivated by patriotism and empathy. At a minimum, he didn't buy into Trump's BS.

Like Sasse, Flake, Corker and other actually conservative non-sycophants, he came across as a decent person even if I disagree with his politics.

I don’t think he was. Like Trump, he was another spoiled brat, who used his father name (POW aside) and managed to fail Upwards. For theatre he’d toy with doing the right thing and then never follow through. For eg His vote against/for Obamacare wasn’t cast to protect American benefits, it was that he disagreed with the procedure taken - also to piss off Trump. Also, another serial adulterer.

Rolling Stone ran this in 2008 and it’s a decent insight into McCain’s character.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/john-mccain-make-believe-maverick-202004/

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

...crawling out of his sick bed to vote against affordable healthcare.

What now?

The way McCain is being canonised by liberals in the American media is another example of how Trump has broken people’s brains. McCain was a racist warmonger whose foreign policy contributed to the deaths of hundreds of thousands in Libya, Afghanistan, Iraq and Yemen. And the US would have "bomb, bomb, bomb"ed Iran too if he'd had his way. He was in the pocket of the Saudis. He had no love for people in his own country either, crawling out of his sick bed to vote against affordable healthcare. His “maverick” representation was bullsh*t. He voted with republicans 86 percent of the time and with Trump about 80 percent.

Is there anyone else who voted against their party more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,822 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

U.S. politics is a most strange game. US Senate candidate Kelli Ward suggests that the announcement that John McCain was taking himself off treatment was done to hurt her political campaign to replace Sen Jeff Flake [R] Arizona. Kelli is reportedly from the Trump side of the GOP, immigration, border security and promised to drain the swamp. I'd have thought that the approach that some-one had elected to die an early death to scupper another's election hopes would be political suicide.

http://washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/08/26/arizona-senate-candidate-suggests-mccain-timed-his-pre-death-announcement-hurt-her-campaign/?tid=pm_pop

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I don’t think he was. Like Trump, he was another spoiled brat, who used his father name (POW aside) and managed to fail Upwards. For theatre he’d toy with doing the right thing and then never follow through. For eg His vote against/for Obamacare wasn’t cast to protect American benefits, it was that he disagreed with the procedure taken - also to piss off Trump. Also, another serial adulterer.

Rolling Stone ran this in 2008 and it’s a decent insight into McCain’s character.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/john-mccain-make-believe-maverick-202004/

It's not exactly my take on it but nothing that you said is false.

EDIT:

Just to add, him being an adulterer makes him less of a man in my view. In Washington, though, that seems par for the course, except for a very few decent people.

• Advertisement

Strange amount of politician seems to have affairs...... whats the link ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Other women...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,225 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Lots of people have affairs. Nobody cares when Dave from down the road fcuks his baby sitter but politicians are public figures who are supposed to have morals so if they do it it’s front page news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,923 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Regarding the way McCain is looked upon by most, I think it helps when you compare him (or anyone else for that matter) with Trump.

Obama might not have been the best president of all time, but when you bookend him with George W before and DJT afterwards, it makes Obama almost saintlike.

Voting against repealing ACA and the fact that it riled DJT so, plus the hypocritical trash talk by DJT about him, made a lot of people look more favourably upon him and his career.

Short-sighted? Perhaps. Still, I would rather him be president than the current one.

As for what this week will be bring for Donald, last week felt like a season finale. Hard to imagine what kind of controversy will rear its head over the next few days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The McCain worship a reflection of both the GOP and the Democrats. Dems love the idea of the mystical moderate Republican who acts with "decency" and "respect" (the words that keep coming up in McCain obits) despite having values that liberals are supposedly opposed to. Much of their problem with the Orange Monstrosity is his public displays of vulgarity and failure to show respect for "norms". The problem is moderate Republicans don't actually exist anymore. Or rather they do but they are Democrats. In fact, "moderate Republican" is exactly what Obama eventually admitted to being. So the bar McCain is measured against is extremely low.
    oscarBravo wrote: »
    What now?

yes, he voted to advance the bill to repeal Obamacare. In the end, he voted against the actual GOP bill, but not because he supported affordable healthcare. if he did he wouldn't have put up so much opposition to Obamacare in the first place. He had been calling for its repeal and replacement with a free market approach for years.

There has been little focus on McCain's actual motives for voting against the GOP bill, other than to piss off Trump which I guess is good enough for most liberals, but it wasn't the only likely reason. There was the enormous criticism he received for voting in favour of the debate to repeal which threatened to upset his "maverick" image. There was also a lack of reassurance from Ryan that Obamacare would be fully rolled back. And it seems there was a deal with the Dems to let the 2018 defence contract bill go through. That McCain came out of this being praised as a hero is remarkable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,923 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I understand also that as McCain did not resign, triggering an election for his seat, the Rep party get to pick a non-elected replacement for him, two months before a national election with ramifications not only for any possible impeachment hearing, but also re SCOTUS nomination

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I see the Washington post is reporting that trump stopped the White House from putting out a statement praising John McCain( and there are things he should be thanked for btw) but it just shows how petty Trump. I mean he is president and doesn't act like it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's always worth repeating Trump's most incindery remarks regarding McCain:

“He’s not a war hero,” said Trump. “He was a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren’t captured.”

Now myself, I hold no special status for POWs or returning soldiers outside of resting respect for anyone who serves in the armed forces, but it's a true testament to Trumps bulletproof ego and lack of self-awareness that he, a Vietnam draft dodger, would attack someone who put their neck out and served. It's real paper tiger stuff.

Between this and the later attacks on the Khan family during the campaign, it's actually quite remarkable the man commands any kind of respect from veterans - or indeed GOP voting ones. Party before country indeed. I do recall many commenting that his feud with Khan Sr. was seen as a "that's it, he has attacked US veterans, he's toast", yet here we are.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

pixelburp wrote: »
    I do recall many commenting that his feud with Khan Sr. was seen as a "that's it, he has attacked US veterans, he's toast", yet here we are.

I said it to Her Indoors this morning: Trump could have gone to McCain's hospital bed and shot him in the face, and his base would find a way to excuse it.

As long as people are prepared to support that miserable excuse for a human being because "at least he's not a Democrat", the USA is irretrievably broken. Witness the "I'd rather be a Russian than a Democrat" t-shirts at a recent rally. Can you imagine that being an acceptable message a couple of decades ago?

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I said it to Her Indoors this morning: Trump could have gone to McCain's hospital bed and shot him in the face, and his base would find a way to excuse it.

As long as people are prepared to support that miserable excuse for a human being because "at least he's not a Democrat", the USA is irretrievably broken. Witness the "I'd rather be a Russian than a Democrat" t-shirts at a recent rally. Can you imagine that being an acceptable message a couple of decades ago?

It isn't confined to his base though, his base and their ways, are mirrored in their opponents as well.
    "The Resistance" etc are the new Tea Party for this decade.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement