Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump is the President Mark IV (Read Mod Warning in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭amandstu

Christy42 wrote: »
    I think the protests are all obviously anti Trump. The focus of it all has all been on the man himself.

If someone wants to be insulted on behalf of all America over these protests that is on them. Not much you can do to stop them from being offended without simply never giving your opinion.

Well I wouldn't waste any time on Trump himself ,it is only as President that he is of any interest (apart from the passing interest that he was described as "the meanest man I have ever met" -from memory).

I am just wondering if it is possible to avoid giving inadvertent offense to Americans who may wrongly feel that they are being offended along with Trump.

Of course ,even then it can be wrong to shy away from giving offense where it is deserved even if the consequences are unpleasant (Ireland is uniquely vulnerable to American displeasure in a similar way it is uniquely vulnerable to Brexit)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,624 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think the best possible protest at Trump's visit, is to ignore him. That would really piss him off.
    Let the dignatories turn up and nobody else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,038 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Water John wrote: »
    I think the best possible protest at Trump's visit, is to ignore him. That would really piss him off.
    Let the dignatories turn up and nobody else.

So long as there are no public events with our politicians visiting his golf course, I agree. Let him visit his golf course if he wants, but our politicians shouldn't be going there to help him advertise it, nor spending State money there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

everlast75 wrote: »
    I briefly dipped in to the thread on after hours.

The usual pro-trump nonsense of

"he gets things done" (spoiler - no he doesn't)

"he's a straight talker" (spoiler - no he isn't)

And then the truth...

"To own the libs"

To be fair when it comes to identity politics and politics in general after hours is a cess pit.

Another poster was angry that the media are reporting his own words. That's the level of logic you are going to get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,568 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

It will be interesting to see of the eulogy by Joe Biden at John McCain Funeral has any effect, Trump flirted with dissing the Military but pulled back very quickly its one thing giving out about the secret service but the military is revered in the US even more so among the type of supporters he attracts.

Veterans day is something to behold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

mariaalice wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see of the funeral of Joe Biden has any effect, Trump flirted with dissing the Military but pulled back very quickly its one thing giving out about the secret service but the military is revered in the US even more so among the type of supporters he attracts.

Veterans day is something to behold.

I wasn't aware he was even unwell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,568 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

jooksavage wrote: »
    I wasn't aware he was even unwell.

This is not AH, it was meant to be John McCain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,606 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

People already digging up tweets from Trump re Ted Cruz

https://twitter.com/davidhogg111/status/1036274381503254528

When he comes out with his false praise I'd imagine CNN, NBC & most of the late night comedy guys having a field day...And rightly so

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

^^^^^
    I am willing to bet a million bucks Trump will cry "Fake News!" and "Enemies of the People!" when called on it and his supporters will swallow it hook line and sinker, as usual.
    One can only hope that his support will damage Cruz's chances enough to endanger his seat.
    If the truth still means anything to his supporters, but I'm not hopeful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I'm surprised Cruz wants Trump to campign for him. I guess Trump probably has a high approval rating in texas. Any praise is just going to sound so hollow though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

MadYaker wrote: »
    I'm surprised Cruz wants Trump to campign for him. I guess Trump probably has a high approval rating in texas. Any praise is just going to sound so hollow though.

This is why he wants him endorsing him

Trump has a 90% approval rating with Republican voters , Cruz doesn't.

It may back-fire on him given their very visible and easily seen history together , but in Texas it'll be enough..

As popular as Beto O'Rourke seems there are just more Republicans in Texas than Democrats..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Quin_Dub wrote: »

It may back-fire on him given their very visible and easily seen history together , but in Texas it'll be enough..

As popular as Beto O'Rourke seems there are just more Republicans in Texas than Democrats..

It also happens to be the case that Trump is virtually infallible in the eyes of the Republican electorate (or at least those who seem to respond to these polls), so it its not like Cruz expects to have to answer for the very obvious hypocrisy involved in this.
    One lives in hope that one day all these charlatans will be made to account for themselves... diminishing hope mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

Quin_Dub wrote: »

There are certainly many more Republicans allowed to vote in Texas than Democrats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,699 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

And yet he still needs Trumps endorsement?

Cruz is supposedly a heavy weight in the GOP and in a red state, yet the Dem is getting uncomfortably close and Cruz loosing would be seen as a major indictment of the GOP in general.

Trump may well do enough to get them the seat (although he is not a guarantee by any stretch) but within the GOP the alarm bells should be ringing loud.

Unless, of course, they simply agree that Cruz really is as unlikable as he is portrayed

On another Sessions rant today:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1036681588573130752

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1036685082650705920

His days have to be pretty close to numbered.

I love the logic of Trump though. It doesn't matter if those 2 Reps actually commited a crime, it only matters that the charges were brought at a time he's not happy with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Corkblowin

Can’t embed the tweet, but I wonder how the Donald will take Nike making Colin Kaepernick the face of their new ‘just do it’ campaign (he started the NFL players protest & had not been given a contract for the coming season).

‘Believe in something- even if it means sacrificing everything’

They obviously see value in doing it, but it’s good to see big business making some kind of a moral stance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

I love the logic of Trump though. It doesn't matter if those 2 Reps actually commited a crime, it only matters that the charges were brought at a time he's not happy with

Stating the obvious I know, but this guy touts himself as being the "law and order" president, draining the swamp, putting an end to politics as usual etc etc. His supporters continuing to debase themselves by turning a blind eye to his hypocrisy is beyond irritating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,624 ✭✭✭✭Water John

What will Trump's version of the Russia probe be called, Pulp Fiction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,822 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

It leave's me wondering if Don has started to believe the spin he has put on things. Sad man if he does. Sadder if the GOP on the hill believe it as well, instead of being politically cynical about what he says.

Re the latest tweets about JF, he's laying the grounds for firing JF, interference in US politics. His cynicism knows no bounds, considering JF recused himself from the investigation into Russian interference in US politics and that really got to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Water John wrote: »
    What will Trump's version of the Russia probe be called, Pulp Fiction?

Well... I couldn't possibly comment...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    He also told the magazine that the Trump team is planning to release a report of its own to refute Mueller's findings.

I wonder if this report will be written in crayon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,699 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The Sessions tweet is staggering.

POTUS job is to uphold and defend the constitution, and yet again we have Trump attempting to interfere in the workings of the legal system for political gain.

And nobody seems overly bothered about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,723 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Leroy42 wrote:
    And nobody seems overly bothered about it.

Patience, they ll get him eventually, gonna take a while though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Corkblowin wrote: »
    Can’t embed the tweet, but I wonder how the Donald will take Nike making Colin Kaepernick the face of their new ‘just do it’ campaign (he started the NFL players protest & had not been given a contract for the coming season).

‘Believe in something- even if it means sacrificing everything’

They obviously see value in doing it, but it’s good to see big business making some kind of a moral stance

I'm very glad to see this happening and it's largely because I don't think Nike is doing this for genuine moral reasons - I think it's more likely that its for entirely mercenary ones - that they have done the research, they know better than we do which way the wind is blowing and apparently it's not in Trump's favour or in favour of the increasingly fascist government he's leading.

Did you hear that they've started to deport massively increased the use of a previously rare and dubious process to deport people with valid US birth certs? Only hispanic-looking people of course, the kind that are probably illegals, despite evidence to the contrary.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/08/30/politics/us-denying-passports-to-american-citizens/index.html

B0jangles wrote: »
    I'm very glad to see this happening and it's largely because I don't think Nike is doing this for genuine moral reasons - I think it's more likely that its for entirely mercenary ones - that they have done the research, they know better than we do which way the wind is blowing and apparently it's not in Trump's favour or in favour of the increasingly fascist government he's leading.

Reading a lot of the replies to Nikes tweet on this & on the face of it, there are a lot of Americans who have bought into the branding from the right that this is a protest against the American flag & military.

I guess it doesn't matter how many times something gets explained, people will always fit the narrative to their own beliefs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Celticfire

Did you hear that they've started to deport people with valid US birth certs? Only hispanic-looking people of course, the kind that are probably illegals, despite evidence to the contrary.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/08/30/politics/us-denying-passports-to-american-citizens/index.html

Wow .... just wow. Did you even read the link you posted. " Started"? Well that's a barefaced lie.
    According to the Post report, the issue stems from a government allegation that from the 1950s through the 1990s, midwives and physicians working along the border issued US birth certificates to babies born in Mexico, which some birth attendants have admitted to in court.
    The State Department denies changing its "policy or practice regarding the adjudication of passport applications." The agency also said the border region "happens to be an area of the country where there has been a significant incidence of citizenship fraud."

CNN cannot independently verify they have surged under President Trump.

Surged.... you mean they didn't just start?
    The State Department pushed back against the Post's reporting, saying: "domestic passport denials are at the lowest rate in six years for midwife cases. Twenty eight percent of these passport cases were denied in 2017 compared to 36 percent in 2015 under the Obama Administration."
    Arthur, who requested anonymity because he fears retribution from immigration officials, was born through a midwife. He told CNN he's had his passport renewal request denied twice -- once during the Obama administration, and again this year.

At least read what you link to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

I have to say fair play to Kaepernick. Nike are doing it for selfish reasons but it does get his message out again.

As for why they are doing it I imagine Nike are looking at the world wide market. The first world knows the situation with kneeling and most don't have the US over the top military culture and would not consider the kneeling an offense. It will likely play well around the world and break even in the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Celticfire wrote: »
    Wow .... just wow. Did you even read the link you posted. " Started"? Well that's a barefaced lie.

Surged.... you mean they didn't just start?

At least read what you link to.

Lol, I meant to go back and edit that post I made at 7.23 this morning to change the word 'started' to 'massively increased', but I didn't get around to it until now.

I guess that the whole story debunked now though, now that a single poster on boards.ie used the wrong word first thing in the morning - it's all just fake news and OBAMAAAAAA! .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Celticfire

Lol, I meant to go back and edit that post I made at 7.23 this morning to change the word 'started' to 'massively increased', but I didn't get around to it until now.

I guess that the whole story debunked now though, now that a single poster on boards.ie used the wrong word first thing in the morning - it's all just fake news and OBAMAAAAAA! .

No you got caught out with a barefaced lie and haven't the balls to admit it. It's a completely different story to how you painted it.
    Did you hear that they've started to deport people with valid US birth certs? Only hispanic-looking people of course, the kind that are probably illegals, despite evidence to the contrary.

How is going from 36% in 2015 to 28% "massively increasing"?
    CNN cannot independently verify they have surged under President Trump.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement