Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump is the President Mark IV (Read Mod Warning in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

listermint wrote: »
    Im yet to see a post where anyone has indicated any different.

Im struggling to find the outrage from you guys on it ?

It's not outrage. I'm glad that they've done this. Outside of the giggles that I get when I see MAGA heads on twitter destroying their shoes, Nike's decision shows that the number of MAGA heads who buy Nikes is small enough to write off as part of their consumer base. Maybe they weren't big Nike consumers in the first place but Nike decided to say "Fúck you, Redcaps. You're not important and we are publically telling you to kindly go fúck yourselves.".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,927 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Woodward's book is out soon...

As a result of this book, this week, and with the Kavanaugh protests at the hearing, is going to be as lit as a pair of nike runners..

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/1036996950288162818

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

It's not outrage. I'm glad that they've done this. Outside of the giggles that I get when I see MAGA heads on twitter destroying their shoes, Nike's decision shows that the number of MAGA heads who buy Nikes is small enough to write off as part of their consumer base. Maybe they weren't big Nike consumers in the first place but Nike decided to say "Fúck you, Redcaps. You're not important and we are publically telling you to kindly go fúck yourselves.".

Nobody really loses either, pelnty on the right will be rubbing there hands as this is great grifting material.

I don't mind people boycotting whatsoever as its there right to do, but and it was the same when I think Chelsea Handler was grand standing about boycotting New Balance because they funded Trump, guys its a pair of shoes, you are not in the front lines of World War 2 and you probably won't get a medal for your "heroic" boycott .

Pleasantly surprised there is not a 20 page thread in AH, what's gone right/wrong there:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Holy crap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

everlast75 wrote: »

As a result of this book, this week, and with the Kavanaugh protests at the hearing, is going to be as lit as a pair of nike runners..

Jesus!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

"Mattis ignored [Trumps] order to kill Assad"

Lordy, how will the 'Killery' crowd manage to square that circle?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

"Mattis ignored [Trumps] order to kill Assad"

Lordy, how will the 'Killery' crowd manage to square that circle?

With the fake news pen.

Here's the WaPo article on it. Some of the more entertaining parts include:
    After Trump left the meeting, Woodward recounts, “Mattis was particularly exasperated and alarmed, telling close associates that the president acted like — and had the understanding of — ‘a fifth- or sixth-grader.’ ”
    In one small group meeting, Kelly said of Trump: “He’s an idiot. It’s pointless to try to convince him of anything. He’s gone off the rails. We’re in Crazytown. I don’t even know why any of us are here. This is the worst job I’ve ever had.”
    Dowd then explained to Mueller and Quarles why he was trying to keep the president from testifying: “I’m not going to sit there and let him look like an idiot. And you publish that transcript, because everything leaks in Washington, and the guys overseas are going to say, ‘I told you he was an idiot. I told you he was a goddamn dumbbell. What are we dealing with this idiot for?’

“John, I understand,” Mueller replied, according to Woodward.

There's a bit of a common theme there. It should be a pretty entertaining book. I didn't bother with The Fire and The Fury because I wasn't sure about the credibility of the author but Woodward is definitely a serious guy.

The last section is gobsmacking:
    Later that month, Dowd told Trump: “Don’t testify. It’s either that or an orange jumpsuit.”

But Trump, concerned about the optics of a president refusing to testify and convinced that he could handle Mueller’s questions, had by then decided otherwise.

“I’ll be a real good witness,” Trump told Dowd, according to Woodward.

“You are not a good witness,” Dowd replied. “Mr. President, I’m afraid I just can’t help you.”

The next morning, Dowd resigned.

• Advertisement

I get the sense from these snippets that many of these people (like John Kelly) are staying in the WH to try and limit the damage.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I get the sense from these snippets that many of these people (like John Kelly) are staying in the WH to try and limit the damage.

Hiring Kelly,Mattis and the other chap's name who is gone now who I forget:pac: was probably some of the few sensible nominations he did especially when you consider how important the role is they have. They all know Trump is at best naive when it comes to these sort of things so rather they try and guide him rather than the grifters he has surrounded himself with elsewhere.

There's also a transcript of Bob Woodward's call with Trump where Trump wonders why Bob never spoke to him.

Naturally, he rambles a bit and comes across as someone who's kept in the dark a fair bit.

Trump: It’s really too bad, because nobody told me about it, and I would’ve loved to have spoken to you. You know I’m very open to you. I think you’ve always been fair. We’ll see what happens. But all I can say is the country is doing very well. We’re doing better economically just about than at any time. We’re doing better on unemployment maybe than ever. You know, I mean, if you look at the unemployment numbers, you’ve heard me say it. And we’re doing better on unemployment than just about ever. We’re having a lot of — a lot of companies are moving back into our country, which would’ve been unheard of two years ago. If the other administration or representatives of it had kept going, had kept — you know, if the other group had won, I will tell you, that you would have, I think you’d have a GDP of less than zero. I think we would’ve been going in the wrong direction. Because regulations are such a big part of what we’ve done, Bob.

BW: Senator [Lindsey] Graham said he had talked to you about talking to me. Now, is that not true?

Trump: Senator Graham actually mentioned it quickly in one meeting.

BW: Yes. Well, see. And then nothing happened.

Trump: That is true. That is true. Well, that — no, but that is true. Mentioned it quickly, not like, you know, and I would certainly have thought that maybe you would’ve called the office. But that’s okay. I’ll speak to Kellyanne. I am a little surprised that she wouldn’t have told me. In fact, she just walked in. [to Kellyanne] I’m talking to Bob Woodward. He said that he told you.

Conway: Yes.

Trump: About speaking to me. But you never told me. Why didn’t you tell me?

Conway: [inaudible].

Trump: I would’ve been very happy to speak to him. All right, so what are you going to do?

BW: Well ...

Trump: So I have another bad book coming out. Big deal.

"Many people are saying"
    Trump: But are you naming names? Or do you just say sources?

BW: Yeah, well, it names real incidents, so . ..

Trump: No, but do you name sources? I mean, are you naming the people, or just say, people have said?

BW: I say, at 2:00 on this day, the following happened, and everyone who’s there, including yourself, is quoted. And I’m sorry I didn’t get to ask you about these . ..
    Trump: I’m just hearing about it. And I heard — I did hear from Lindsey, but I’m just hearing about it. So we’re going to have a very inaccurate book, and that’s too bad. But I don’t blame you entirely.

BW: No, it’s [?] — it’s going to be accurate, I promise.

Trump: Yeah, okay. Well, accurate is that nobody’s ever done a better job than I’m doing as president. That I can tell you. So that’s . . . And that’s the way a lot of people feel that know what’s going on, and you’ll see that over the years. But a lot of people feel that, Bob.

I think the president is an idiot. Many people are saying it.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Hiring Kelly,Mattis and the other chap's name who is gone now who I forget:pac: was probably some of the few sensible nominations he did especially when you consider how important the role is they have. They all know Trump is at best naive when it comes to these sort of things so rather they try and guide him rather than the grifters he has surrounded himself with elsewhere.

It's seriously bonkers. How people think that he's intelligent and stable is beyond me. The man's clearly not smart at all and that's what everyone around him thinks too. It's not fake news and it's not a biased media. It's just him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

prawnsambo wrote: »

After the book he'll fire them though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭FingerDeKat

The idiot that just keeps on giving:pac::pac:

strandroad wrote: »

I have a feeling that they'll just not show him the snippets and lie to him. That's the sense I get from the other snippets.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭rosser44

Given the author and his apparent dilligence in quote sourcing this is gonna make it hard to spin. Ignoring assassination orders, taking letters off his desk to avoid economic disasters - and Trump not noticing? It shows a bunch of people doing damage control non stop.

Queue more Administration members looking for new job in the near future. No way Trump wil give Kelly a pass after some of the quotes I've read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Not if he can't find the necessary paperwork!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,700 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

You'd actually feel sorry for KAC after listening to that. Clearly, she has been told to follow certain rules, then when she does Trump blames her for that. She was clearly trying to cover her ass during the call, and you got the feeling she knows the sh11 is going to hit the fan now.

He basically said Raj was nothing, never talked to him. So nothing he has to the press should be taken as being anyway based on the POTUS.

The funniest part was Trump spouting the usual lines, as if the reporter would have never heard them before. Does he really think the reporter needed to here those biased and mostly false claims to make the book?

But the best thing was that Trump has already convinced himself that this book is bad because he didn't get to set the record straight. Its an insight into how his view of fake news is formed. It is either bad, or not directly from him. The facts don't actually matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Even if Trump was a normal, intelligent well-adjusted person, it still would have been a huge task to transition into the role of POTUS. The normal course of entry is through politics and / or military, where candidates learn something about how government and federal work. It’s still a huge jump to POTUS, but they have something to work from or draw upon. Trump had none of that coming in.

But Trump has never been a normal, stable person. It’s just not in his character. Maybe he’s intelligent, I don’t know, but his actions point to someone who is too egotistical and too immature to use his intelligence effectively. How in god’s earth was he ever going to succeed? It appears that some staff, like Kelly and Matthias are doing their their best to manage Trump. Why? Do they think this is their duty? Are they beholden to the GOP and republican politics somehow? Dunno, but they appear to be like the little Dutch boy with his thumb in the dyke.

Once POTUS is elected, he is the president of ALL Americans. Trump has never seemed to grasp that concept.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    You'd actually feel sorry for KAC after listening to that.

That's a hard no

No he won't. Mattis very popular with Trumpers and pretty much all republicans. Trump is stuck with him as he is with Sessions.

I can't comment on Kelly as much but pretty sure he is popular with all right wing bases.

Unless he has similarly qualified people lined up and I can't see why they would want the role, unless skint or hoping that they would only have to tolerate him briefly until Pence gets the gig.

OK let me rephrase. I think we have probably all been in a situation whereby those above us have used us to try to protect themselves and we got to hear it 1st hand, she was basically humiliated. Why bother putting on the call? Really childish from Trump.

dudara wrote: »

It appears that some staff, like Kelly and Matthias are doing their their best to manage Trump. Why? Do they think this is their duty? Are they beholden to the GOP and republican politics somehow? Dunno, but they appear to be like the little Dutch boy with his thumb in the dyke.

They are military people and unless you have served you simply aren't going to understand there choice. Mattis has already justified taking this position by vetoing killing Asad which would have been an absolute disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Unlike other books this one isn't being brushed off quite as easily because of anonymous sources
    https://twitter.com/AriFleischer/status/1037015246081347584?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Woodward's book will be news for about a week. Then, something else will happen.

Nothing matters till something can be done to get Trump out of office. Either the midterms shift enough votes to impeach him (or at least, make it impossible for him to get anything done other than by executive order and by regulations from his swampy administration), or 2020.

Lots of clicks and media attention though. Another week in Trumpworld.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Woodward's book will be news for about a week. Then, something else will happen.

Nothing matters till something can be done to get Trump out of office. Either the midterms shift enough votes to impeach him (or at least, make it impossible for him to get anything done other than by executive order and by regulations from his swampy administration), or 2020.

Lots of clicks and media attention though. Another week in Trumpworld.

It all adds to break the spell. Trump went in as the amazing businessman, the most intelligent etc. That behind the crazy speeches was a genius, a man that would get things done.

Yet even the phone call linked earlier shows he hasn't even got control over his own staff. To come with the stuff about how he doesn't even talk to Raj!

Will this book do noticeable damage? Hard to tell, but it is not going to help with the swing voters the GOP need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Oh my god, that tape is the most terrifying 11 minutes you will ever have. He is completely consumed by his own hype: He genuinely believes it. Dunning-Kruger is in the ha'paenny seats when it comes to understanding Trump.

While trying to secure an interview with Trump, Bob spoke to KellyAnne. He had lunch with KellyAnne.

Yet Trump insists: "She never told me about it....." Unbelievable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement