Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump is the President Mark IV (Read Mod Warning in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,929 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Hurrache wrote: »
    I did have a listen to that clip earlier today, but other people since tweeted that it's cropped and therefore makes it sounds worse than it is, the full audio of the interview has a different context. However I didn't get a chance to listen as if that's true.

from snopes.com

"What Donald Trump actually said was:

40 Wall street actually was the second-tallest building in downtown Manhattan, and it was actually before the World Trade Center the tallest, and and then when they built the World Trade Center it became known as the second-tallest, and now it’s the tallest And I just spoke to my people, and they said it’s the most unbelievable sight, it’s probably seven or eight blocks away from the World Trade Center, and yet Wall Street is littered with two feet of stone and brick and mortar and steel …
    So it is true that during the course of that interview, in response to a query about whether his own buildings had sustained any damage, Trump stated, in reference to the Trump Building, that “now it’s the tallest” [in downtown Manhattan]. Whether that remark constituted “bragging” is a matter of subjective interpretation, however.

Critics maintain that Trump’s referencing the relative height of 40 Wall Street in the immediate aftermath of the World Trade Center towers’ fall was completely gratuitous and irrelevant to the discussion, the hallmark of an egoist with no compunctions about using tragedy as an opportunity for self-promotion.
    "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,282 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It doesn't seem to have been mentioned yet, but Trump's visit to Ireland has been cancelled.

No mention of a change re the armistace commemoration but the itinerary is "under review".

Its hardly a surprise, the midterms will have taken place 4 days before, so Trump will either be busy working on firing Sessions Mueller and the rest during the lame-duck session or be planning an exit strategy that doesn't end with him in Federal prison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,040 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Larbre34 wrote: »
    It doesn't seem to have been mentioned yet, but Trump's visit to Ireland has been cancelled.

No mention of a change re the armistace commemoration but the itinerary is "under review".

Its hardly a surprise, the midterms will have taken place 4 days before, so Trump will either be busy working on firing Sessions Mueller and the rest during the lame-duck session or be planning an exit strategy that doesn't end with him in Federal prison

I'd say it's just more likely he found out what the weather would be like here at that time of year and realised he wouldn't be able to play golf.

It's a damn shame. I was all ready to contribute to the Trump Baby Blimp fund...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,629 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Trump dips in the Polls despite voters seeing the economy doing well.
    That's some feat.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/sep/10/donald-trump-polls-slump-approval-rating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Water John wrote: »
    Trump dips in the Polls despite voters seeing the economy doing well.
    That's some feat.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/sep/10/donald-trump-polls-slump-approval-rating

Over the course of a month, CNN polling has seen him drop 6 points. Polls vary quite a bit across polling companies but in this case it was 2 CNN polls which I presume use the same methodology.
    WASHINGTON (CNN)President Donald Trump's approval rating has fallen 6 points in the last month and stands at a new low among political independents, according to a new CNN Poll conducted by SSRS.

Overall, just 36% approve of the way the President is handling his job, down from 42% in August. Among independents, the drop has been sharper, from 47% approval last month to 31% now. That's 4 points below his previous 2018 low of 35% approval among political independents in CNN polling, and 1 point below his previous all-time low among independents in CNN polling, reached in November 2017.

My guess is that his treatment of McCain has a strong effect here. A lot of Trumpers forget that McCain was a Republican who was highly respected by most, even if they disliked his politics. In the military and among veterans, I'd guess that McCain's popularity was quite high. It can't have helped Trump's popularity to have behaved that disgracefully towards the man while he was dying of cancer as well as after he died.

But who knows? Any day now Trump could pull a 180 and become a decent, sane and humble person who turns this whole shítshow around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭Panrich

Thank you.

Best news that I heard today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

everlast75 wrote: »
    Some of ye may or may not know of this audio clip of Trump on 9/11, so I thought I would post it...

https://twitter.com/NumbersMuncher/status/1039483911779348481?s=19

I saw it years ago. It's more relevant now though since he became president. The fact that his main train of thinking on this day 17 years ago was that his building is now the biggest tells you all you need to know really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

has it ? I mean I suppose the lads in doonbeg can put the paint cans away.

Panrich wrote: »
    Thank you.

You're welcome. I'm curious, did you object to him coming in the first place, or worried about the negative reception he might get, or worried about the potential for disruption to business or traffic or whatever?

I've been analysing my own feelings on the proposed visit, which were ambivalent (honour the office if not the man etc), but really I didn't give a crap that he was coming. I look forward to foreign leaders or famous academics and artists coming to Ireland if they might have something interesting to say or to offer into the mix and I knew that would never be Trump. I didn't see myself protesting but I supported anyone who wanted to.

My biggest concerns were 1) the cost 2) the Government being distracted and having to play the hypocrit and 3) the distraction from our own Presidential inauguration and solemn marking of the the armistace in Europe generally.

RTEs washington guy heard the Paris trip may be in doubt because Trump was expecting to be another Bastille Day type parade as opposed to solemn attendance at cemeteries and memorial services. With Trump, thats quite believable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

RTEs washington guy heard the Paris trip may be in doubt because Trump was expecting to be another Bastille Day type parade as opposed to solemn attendance at cemeteries and memorial services. With Trump, thats quite believable.

https://twitter.com/chrisriotta/status/1039516135941521408

Case in point!

Leroy42 wrote: »

What a legend.

I do hope the polls mentioned above are correct and that ordinary Americans who voted for Trump are waking up to the kind of man he is, because if they don't, they deserve the outcome they get.

To me Trump is always the guy who pushed the Montenegrin PM, nobody else matters to him, he's a narcissist and a sociopath. That Shanksville memorial today is somewhere between an inconvenience and an opportunity for a rally. He's a scum feeder.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Thing is, the very first reply (retweet, I don't know the service's nomenclature) is this beauty:
    When I look at this photo, I think of someone who is thinking "let's kick some butt." We as a country need to take a more assertive approach in our safety. We are a great nation, but I think we have been too trusting to other countries.

So to folk like ourselves, the photo looks like the tone-deaf fist pumping of a man with severe empathy problems, a paper tiger; while to others he's behaving in an 'America, F*** Yeah' style.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

pixelburp wrote: »
    Thing is, the very first reply (retweet, I don't know the service's nomenclature) is this beauty:

So to folk like ourselves, the photo looks like the tone-deaf fist pumping of a man with severe empathy problems, a paper tiger; while to others he's behaving in an 'America, F*** Yeah' style.

That reply is from a bot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Penn wrote: »
    Let's also not forget how classy and respectful he tends to be on the anniversary of 9/11

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/377947866641485824

(I think he deleted the actual one from Sep 11 2013, then quoted himself repeating it the next day)

On theme: Trump’s long history of lying about 9/11 and exploiting it for personal gain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Panrich wrote: »
    Thank you.

Wouldn't get too excited, wouldn't bet it's not going ahead. This is a pretty Trump thing to do, say he's gonna do something, say he's not going to do it, do it.

His meeting with Kim was on then off then happened too wasnt it?

He just loves the drama, I swear if everyone just completely ignored him for one week his head would probably explode and that would be the end of it!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Is there a media more mainstream than fox by the way?

Had an entire day of it today with a guy lambasting mainstream media while parroting talking points from Fox.

You cannot actually get any more mainstream than Fox, this seems completely lost on them.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

RIGOLO wrote: »
    You missed my point completely, as did everyone else it seems.
    I wasnt discussing historical party policy flip flopping , sure you could write a book or 200 on that, and its been done.

My point is that currently the left , main stream media , antitrump brigade etc, have taken the vitriol and insults to a new level in their attack of a cohort of the American voting population.
    A subset which in previous elections helped the Dems to victory.
    The comments on here 'lack of intelligence' just follows a long line back to the classic HRC ' deplorables '.
    The level of insults from those who preach civility , against a particular demographic (remember a demographic that in recent elections got them over the line) has reached a new low.

But please keep it up, American voters have long memories, and have a strong tradition of passing on their values and experience to their children.
    Theres a whole generation being raised who are learning the condesention with which many people hold them . Future Republican voters, some as soon as 2020 no doubt.

32% of the population still see Trump as trustworthy despite him lying an average of eight times a day since he came into to office. There is no reasoning with someone like that. Personally, I don't care what American Trump voters think of how Irish people refer to them or if they have long memories. If they want to destroy their country to send us a message then let them away with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

VonZan wrote: »
    Shock, horror a politician lies. You know using hyperbole and polls is hardly a basis to condemn one side or the other. The problem with people like you is that you're only willing to tell one side of the tale.

Hang on a tick, this all goes beyond a simple metric of lying politicians. It's reductionist to see Trumps claims as simply mundane. His tweet today openly claimed he had evidence of his own DoJ colluding with Russia, H Clinton and the FBI - that goes beyond merely fluffing employment figures. That's either a bald faced, dangerous lie and accusation against HIS OWN government, or he is so incompetent he can't sway Rep controlled houses with this apparent mounting evidence no one else knows exists.

If you want to tell all sides, start by acknowledging the sitting President is peddling conspiracy & dissent against his own cabinet and government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Partisan mess? I don't see that at all. I see people commenting on the dysfunction, the lies, the ties to Russia, the Trump Tower meetings, the indictments, the staggering amount of gold being played, the temper tweet tantums, the disrespect of the UK, NATO, UN, ICC & WTO.

I see people commenting on the decision to bet the future of all Americans on the promise of tax cuts today for the rich and corporate America. I see people commenting on the lack of any leadership in terms of children being killed in schools and the continued rise of racism.

That is only partisan in so much as he has aligned himself to the GOP, and the GOP have willing and enthusiastically aligned themselves with him. But his carry on would be the cause of the same type of comment regardless of what party he was from.

And in terms of lying, yes all politicians lie, but some lie more than others and not all lies are created equal. And I find it strange that Trump supporters are so willing to accept Trump lies when at the heart of his support was that he told it like it was. And that HC was the liar. That seems to have all been forgotten.

So when you talk about partisan, I suggest that you ask why Trump supporters continue to stand behind him despite him doing nearly all the things that they seemed most concerned about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Shock, horror a politician lies. You know using hyperbole and polls is hardly a basis to condemn one side or the other. The problem with people like you is that you're only willing to tell one side of the tale.

It's lost on a lot of people that Trump is not the cause he is a symptom of a much bigger problem in American politics. Thankfully a small minority of younger Dems like Gabbard are a light of hope in this massive mud slinging contest.

What is your solution to people who 'cannot be reasoned with'? And can anyone explain why this thread is such a partisan mess?

Typical that you would try and downplay his deceptiveness. Yes some politicians lie but the scale of Trump's lies is unprecedented. And he lies about things that are easily disproven. Such is the lack of respect he has for the American people. They aren't even worth a well thought out lie. Just throw as many falsehoods as possible and hope someone believes something without checking the facts.

And it's not lost on anyone that Trump is a symptom of a bigger issue. It simply doesn't excuse his behaviour. No more than you can excuse the leader of violent cartel because the war on drugs is the real cause of violence.

The thread is not a partisan mess. What you don't seem to understand is that Trump is literally a villain. Not because he is a Republican or a conservative but because he does a lot of morally objectionable things. That's why people dislike him so much and have a lot to say about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭Panrich

You're welcome. I'm curious, did you object to him coming in the first place, or worried about the negative reception he might get, or worried about the potential for disruption to business or traffic or whatever?

I've been analysing my own feelings on the proposed visit, which were ambivalent (honour the office if not the man etc), but really I didn't give a crap that he was coming. I look forward to foreign leaders or famous academics and artists coming to Ireland if they might have something interesting to say or to offer into the mix and I knew that would never be Trump. I didn't see myself protesting but I supported anyone who wanted to.

My biggest concerns were 1) the cost 2) the Government being distracted and having to play the hypocrit and 3) the distraction from our own Presidential inauguration and solemn marking of the the armistace in Europe generally.

My objection is to what he stands for and represents. He is turning the USA into a rogue state riding roughshod over all international agreements and protocols. The latest threats to the ICC is a perfect example.

Add in his shameless self promotion and his undoubted plan to use the trip for his own personal agenda. The thought of tweets proclaiming how much the Irish people loved having him and the record crowds that greeted him was too much to stomach.

You deliberately misread my post in order to make another point to bash Trump. People like you are more concerned about what people say than what they do.

You also think you have the authority to control political discussion. Disturbing. Grandstanding is a pathetic tactic to use.

Thankfully this seems to be nothing more than a 'safe-space' for Trump protesters who are filled with an incredible amount of rage over a man that has very little impact on their lives nor does he govern the country they live in.

Another trump supporter attacking the poster, avoiding discussion of the points raised and attempting to minimize the ramifications of his actions.

Textbook

You deliberately misread my post in order to make another point to bash Trump. People like you are more concerned about what people say than what they do.

You also think you have the authority to control political discussion. Disturbing. Grandstanding is a pathetic tactic to use.

Thankfully this seems to be nothing more than a 'safe-space' for Trump protesters who are filled with an incredible amount of rage over a man that has very little impact on their lives nor does he govern the country they live in.

Pump the brakes and superiority, I don't believe I have any authority beyond the speculation on a political forum. And my rage is just fine. But I asked a simple question about a serious claim made by Trump this morning and instead you resort to whataboutery and personel digs

The sitting US President says he has evidence of collusion within his own government. You dont need to be partisan to see that as a serious accusation to make as a head of state.

So yeah, sure, you're right: it IS about what he does. Will he disclose this evidence? Instruct a federal court to open a case? I mean he's accusing the DoJ of collusion with a foreign government -that's a high crime that can't be dismissed lightly.

Or.
    Perhaps it's a lie.

But sure, talk about safe spaces and Trump haters and whatever. Don't debate the substance of his own, preferred, channel of communication. We're only holding the current President by his own standards. The nerve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭relax carry on

How about something simple then.

Is there any chance you could give us your thoughts on just these tweets?

Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) Tweeted:
    “We have found nothing to show collusion between President Trump & Russia, absolutely zero, but every day we get more documentation showing collusion between the FBI & DOJ, the Hillary campaign, foreign spies Russians, incredible.” @SaraCarterDC @LouDobbs https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1039470755816374272?s=17

Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) Tweeted:
    New Strzok-Page texts reveal “Media Leak Strategy.” @FoxNews So terrible, and NOTHING is being done at DOJ or FBI - but the world is watching, and they get it completely. https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1039473456709021696?s=17

What does it say to you as his first tweets of September 11th and his assertion regarding the FBI, The US Department of Justice, Hillary Clinton and Russian spies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,825 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I was thinking earlier "Yippee, Don's not visiting us here, we'll save in security costs" then the Beeb reported that the visit is only under scheduling review. Bummer.

Looking at the 1st tweet above, I admire the way Don can make third-person tweets and out-of-body messages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,629 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Von Zan, you seem to be delivering a very confused message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

The fraudulent claiming of $150,000 from a fund designed to help businesses and properties damaged in the attack is especially jarring. This should be enough to sink anyone's political career yet won't even be a footnote when all is said and done with this guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

everlast75 wrote: »
    Another trump supporter attacking the poster, avoiding discussion of the points raised and attempting to minimize the ramifications of his actions.

Textbook

Yeah I have noticed this alright! if you ever watch Tucker Carlson he is the utter master at this. He will get on some liberal, thinking that they can best him and they are coming on to argue a point. He lets them then go into their argument and immediately twists the whole story into something like "are you calling all conservatives racists because they don't want immigrants" the whole segment then turns 180 degs and his guest is now on the back foot for something he never said...If he ever then starts loosing he just starts laughing at them (very loudly...)

VERY VERY annoying. Sorry about the rant just listening to this a-hole this morning on the way to work.

But it brings up your point no rational, decent human could defend the crap Trump says and does every day of the week. How he is screwing the USA every day of the week €77 million alone (https://trumpgolfcount.com/ ) for his golfing, all secret service and staff staying at his hotels etc etc. So as you say they cannot get into a critical thinking argument about Trump policy and actions so they will go on the personal attacks like Trump himself (school yard bully boy)

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Yeah I have noticed this alright! if you ever watch Tucker Carlson he is the utter master at this. He will get on some liberal, thinking that they can best him and they are coming on to argue a point. He lets them then go into their argument and immediately twists the whole story into something like "are you calling all conservatives racists because they don't want immigrants" the whole segment then turns 180 degs and his guest is now on the back foot for something he never said...If he ever then starts loosing he just starts laughing at them (very loudly...)

VERY VERY annoying. Sorry about the rant just listening to this a-hole this morning on the way to work.

But it brings up your point no rational, decent human could defend the crap Trump says and does every day of the week. How he is screwing the USA every day of the week €77 million alone (https://trumpgolfcount.com/ ) for his golfing, all secret service and staff staying at his hotels etc etc. So as you say they cannot get into a critical thinking argument about Trump policy and actions so they will go on the personal attacks like Trump himself (school yard bully boy)

Tucker Carlson has shed any pretense of being a serious "conservative". There's nothing conservative about being the hype-man for an authoritarian ignoramus like Trump. His side-project, the Daily Caller is a platform for some of the most virulently racist crap this side of the Daily Stormer: actual nazi Jason Kessler has had pieces published there. When things cycle around to normality (and lets all pray God that actually happens), Carlson and Hannity can take their places alongside other famous traitors to the Republic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement