Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Had a moderator ever gone rogue on boards?

• 25-07-2018 1:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,275 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Being inspired by the apparently pissed mod on the other thread, I was wondering whether, in the history of boards, a moderator or administrator has ever gone "Colonel Kurtz" on us here

What would you do if you had a few hours with full access to anything on the system. What would be the most entertaining, yet destructive thing you could think of doing?

Me, I'd ban the lot of yiz. Especially the poster in post #3 below. What an absolute cunt and miserable excuse for a human

Or maybe I'd just write some crap slandering Dennis O'Brien and KPMG partners and MCD all in the one post.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,853 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

As a moderator I haven't always being the best behaved around the Louise O'Neill thread tittle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

That old spiderman line, "with great power comes great responsibility comes to mind" :)

I've seen one or two mods let said power get to their heads alright. Though not for a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Or maybe I'd just write some crap slandering Dennis O'Brien and KPMG partners and MCD all in the one post.

My dad's a partner at KPMG!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

As a moderator I haven't always being the best behaved around the Louise O'Neill thread tittle.

That's because you are in love with her.

To thine own self be true

#StillABetterLoveStoryThanTwilight

• Advertisement

The Moderator Putinbot may or may not have inflated a poll result recently 1000000% in favour of a certain Russian diplomat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Two words;

CD burner.

Two words;

CD burner.

WTF is a CD? :confused::confused:

jaxxx wrote: »

Fcuk I'm old :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭redblaze

Two words;

CD burner.

Go on ....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭AfterLife

Judging by the meltdown of the regulars in that thread when she got a fella I'd say there wasn't a dry pillow in any of their mothers houses.

redblaze wrote: »
    Go on ....

I'm saying no more.

Well I'll say one more thing.

It was gas.

AfterLife wrote: »
    Judging by the meltdown of the regulars in that thread when she got a fella I'd say there wasn't a dry pillow in any of their mothers houses.

The irony is that she lives in her mother's house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭redblaze

Two words;

CD burner.

Ah!

I remember now. A certain member and what he got upto offline.

He's probably the most infamous Boardsie ever but I'm actually glad I've forgotten his name

Omackeral wrote: »
    The irony is that she lives in her mother's house.

Don't worry, it's not lost on me. Birds of a feather cry together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,275 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Cross-Dresser

Gordon was a badass back in the day too, I always thought of him as a Scottish Gordon Lightfoot.

Gordon was a badass back in the day too, I always thought of him as a Scottish Gordon Lightfoot.

Terry was a good laugh. I don't remember how he went out but he was an end of an era for After Hours anyway.

Zaph is the boards Pennywise, mention his name and he's sure to appear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

redblaze wrote: »
    Ah!

I remember now. A certain member and what he got upto offline.

He's probably the most infamous Boardsie ever but I'm actually glad I've forgotten his name

Bubbles.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    Bubbles.

In an era where Ops on IRC was like wielding Thor's hammer...

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    Bubbles.

Jesus keep your voice down, I know a boardsie mentioned him once, he's servicing wind turbines on the Mongolian steppes now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I vaguely remember some scandal involving an AH mod a long time ago. I thought it had something to do with the horse racing forum but I was never clear on the details. Certainly he was banned anyway and I think a load of others were banned at the time too. It was all drama at the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

what other thread OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭bilbot79

That old spiderman line, "with great power comes great responsibility comes to mind" :)

I've seen one or two mods let said power get to their heads alright. Though not for a few years.

I'm afraid you're post no 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Cross dresser

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

There was one lad who rent rogue and posted internal mod discussions on another site. Not sure if he was found out or not. Maybe the admins had him killed.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I moderated on four different boards forum, there's not a whole lot you can do to screw the system.

You can lock, move or delete threads in your forum. Warn, infract or ban members in your forum too.

You can look through the moderators forum, but there's nothing really there.

You can check and see who's been reporting your posts before and after you're a moderator and that's about it.

Being a moderator is a pain in the hole on a quiet forum, I can't imagine what its like on AH.. Putting in hours of work for fvck all. Looking back now I must have been an idiot to work for free.

Then everything you do is questioned by some other idiot with another stupid user name, screw that.

You can't really go too rogue'ish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Being a mod is pointless unless you're bored,have loads of time and love a power trip as its a thankless job. Ultimately they can't do much,maybe a category mods have more power I don't know.

There's a couple in a few "sensitive" forums that jump on any and all posts they don't like that need to be taken down a peg or two.

• Advertisement

sexmag wrote: »
    Being a mod is pointless unless you're bored,have loads of time and love a power trip as its a thankless job. Ultimately they can't do much,maybe a category mods have more power I don't know..

That's about it, an utterly thankless job.

And if you think other moderators or esp Cmods have your back, forget it.

Much more enjoyable being an ordinary boards.ie user, you've a hell of a lot more freedom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I briefly recall this lad (a mod at the time) causing a bit of a sh1t storm over various posts, threads and forums.

He was a bundle of joy alright.

Yitzhak Rabin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

AfterLife wrote: »

What thread is this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

There was an Ulsterman mod who let slip he wanted to return to a pre 1920s Ireland and ban Catholicism.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

Why do people become mods? What do they get out of it? It seems like a ****ty job.
    One mod on a forum I frequent has got so sick of modding that they banned discussion on topics that they didn't like. Just to make their jobs easier.
    But why bother becoming a mod at all? Does it make them feel important? Do they get enjoyment out of it?

oneilla wrote: »
    Are you Jerry Sadowitz?

CtuGBa6W8AAj6GW.jpg

• Advertisement

DONTMATTER wrote: »
    Why do people become mods? What do they get out of it? It seems like a ****ty job.
    One mod on a forum I frequent has got so sick of modding that they banned discussion on topics that they didn't like. Just to make their jobs easier.
    But why bother becoming a mod at all? Does it make them feel important? Do they get enjoyment out of it?

I can only speak for myself.

I moderated on the Self Defence and Martial Arts forum and the MMA forum.

I'm interested in both, my background in martial arts is kickboxing and Judo. I still compete in Judo.

Back a long time ago, long before the world ever heard of Conor McGregor I was involved in MMA. The scene was tiny in Ireland and we all basically knew each other.

There was also a time before boards.ie when we discussed martial arts on another forum.

When a Martial Arts forum was opened on board it included both MMA and traditional martial arts (including self defence).

I wanted to promote martial arts through moderating on the old Martial Arts forum here on boards. With the growth of MMA the MMA forum split from the Martial Arts one, and I moderated that for awhile.

But then the MMA forum basically turned to UFC fanboy chat, it looked like the Pro Wrestling forum, I wasn't enjoying it so got out.

Got out of the Dublin City, Military and Martial Arts for a quiet life tbh.

Like I said earlier, moderating is a pain in the hole. You're never seen as an ordinary boards user, even on forums you're not moderating. And when you run into problems you never feel other moderators or Cmods and Admin have your back.

Its just not worth the hassle.

Boards.ie is great, but my advice is to stay away from moderating unless you're completely out of your mind and don't mind giving your time and energies for free.

Why someone would want to moderator AH baffles me. Look at the Mod turn over here, its madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

Remember when Dav broke boards for a bit? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

DONTMATTER wrote: »

Their chance in life to have a bit of power/control. Most likely failed at every other opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Can’t believe Louise isn’t single anymore. :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I can only speak for myself.

I moderated on the Self Defence and Martial Arts forum and the MMA forum.

I'm interested in both, my background in martial arts is kickboxing and Judo. I still compete in Judo.

Back a long time ago, long before the world ever heard of Conor McGregor I was involved in MMA. The scene was tiny in Ireland and we all basically knew each other.

There was also a time before boards.ie when we discussed martial arts on another forum.

When a Martial Arts forum was opened on board it included both MMA and traditional martial arts (including self defence).

I wanted to promote martial arts through moderating on the old Martial Arts forum here on boards. With the growth of MMA the MMA forum split from the Martial Arts one, and I moderated that for awhile.

But then the MMA forum basically turned to UFC fanboy chat, it looked like the Pro Wrestling forum, I wasn't enjoying it so got out.

Got out of the Dublin City, Military and Martial Arts for a quiet life tbh.

Like I said earlier, moderating is a pain in the hole. You're never seen as an ordinary boards user, even on forums you're not moderating. And when you run into problems you never feel other moderators or Cmods and Admin have your back.

Its just not worth the hassle.

Boards.ie is great, but my advice is to stay away from moderating unless you're completely out of your mind and don't mind giving your time and energies for free.

Why someone would want to moderator AH baffles me. Look at the Mod turn over here, its madness.

Part of the problem is the software. Moderators shouldn’t have anything distinguishing them as mods outside their forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Part of the problem is the software. Moderators shouldn’t have anything distinguishing them as mods outside their forum.

100% agree.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

What can be done when there's a legitimate gripe about a post and it's made by a Mod on a forum they mod ?

You're screwed right ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Did mercury_tilt not get up to some hi-jinks?
    Doing a search for his posts gives zero results. I choose to believe that is the result of censorship because the man

https://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?user=31348&sort=newest

Did mercury_tilt not get up to some hi-jinks?
    Doing a search for his posts gives zero results. I choose to believe that is the result of censorship because the man

https://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?user=31348&sort=newest

Do tell!! :D

Whilst I agree I suspect a lot of mod's with a little willy complex might not agree :)

Do tell!! :D
    Don’t remember.

I was joking about the censorship thing but maybe that is what happened...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=91937

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Thoughtform

There was an Ulsterman mod who let slip he wanted to return to a pre 1920s Ireland and ban Catholicism.
    Yeah that's immediately who I thought of when I saw the thread title. I remember that person from a previous life here - Our Man In Havana. Had been a fairly low-profile, reasonable member/mod for years and just suddenly lost the plot. Posting stuff about how their grandfather or great grandfather would shoot catholics. It was ultra hardline loyalist loopiness. Extremely sectarian stuff - I think it all got deleted.

The CD burner thing relates to a person called Bubbles (no need for the secretive, "I'm on Boards much longer than you" stuff; shur it happened years before some members talking about it were even here) - think he organised to sell a CD burner on Adverts and turned up with a lighter. The scamp.

Yeah that's immediately who I thought of when I saw the thread title. I remember that person from a previous life here - Our Man In Havana. Had been a fairly low-profile, reasonable member/mod for years and just suddenly lost the plot. Posting stuff about how their grandfather or great grandfather would shoot catholics. It was ultra hardline loyalist loopiness. Extremely sectarian stuff - I think it all got deleted.

The lighter thing relates to a person called Bubbles (no need for the secretive, "I'm on Boards much longer than you" stuff; shur it happened years before some members talking about it were even here) - think he organised to sell a CD burner on Adverts and turned up with a lighter. The scamp.
    He also hacked the site
    And he posted tubgirl :O
    It’s just the CD burner thing was funny.

Those Protestants

Up to no good as usual

:pac:
    The lighter thing relates to a person called Bubbles (no need for the secretive, "I'm on Boards much longer than you" stuff; shur it happened years before some members talking about it were even here) - think he organised to sell a CD burner on Adverts and turned up with a lighter. The scamp.

Surely more to it than that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

The utd soccer mod was hilariously bad at his job. The only thing funnier than him wading into the Liverpool thread with his cards out after a win, was the reaction in the utd thread to his sacking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement