Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Had a moderator ever gone rogue on boards?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

He also hacked the site
    And he posted tubgirl :O
    It’s just the CD burner thing was funny.

Sounds like an intolerable neckbeard.

Ah I missed all the craic :( So Bubbles was a mod who hacked boards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

The beginning of the end of Bubbles

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=155772

Mercury_Tilt's posts have been scrubbed from the earth. Literally nothing remains of him.

Not sure cd burner ever existed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Yeah that's immediately who I thought of when I saw the thread title. I remember that person from a previous life here - Our Man In Havana. Had been a fairly low-profile, reasonable member/mod for years and just suddenly lost the plot. Posting stuff about how their grandfather or great grandfather would shoot catholics. It was ultra hardline loyalist loopiness. Extremely sectarian stuff - I think it all got deleted.

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about him. It all seemed to come out of nowhere from what I could see.

Was this thread the start of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Mercury_Tilt's posts have been scrubbed from the earth. Literally nothing remains of him.

That thread is one of them, you had to be there moments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It may have been brought on by acute alcohol intoxication.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

As a moderator I haven't always being the best behaved around the Louise O'Neill thread tittle.

As a former AH mod, I may or may not have encouraged dicking around with thread titles :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

The comment in that link about giving the poster their own forum - bubbles had his own forum.

The cd burner sale did happen, via the old for sale or wanted forum.

I vaguely remember some nazi imagery being posted by MT. Don't remember whether he was saying boards was run by nazis, or that he wanted to be a nazi or what. I thought he was funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

There was an Ulsterman mod who let slip he wanted to return to a pre 1920s Ireland and ban Catholicism.

I remember him. He was a right character. Was a reader only back in those days myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

AfterLife wrote: »
    Terry was a good laugh. I don't remember how he went out but he was an end of an era for After Hours anyway.

Terry is still around. When you mention his name three times, turn on the spot four times and click your heels five times apparently he reappears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Omackeral wrote: »
    My dad's a partner at KPMG!

Ah, but is he the hoighest earning portner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I vaguely remember some scandal involving an AH mod a long time ago. I thought it had something to do with the horse racing forum but I was never clear on the details. Certainly he was banned anyway and I think a load of others were banned at the time too. It was all drama at the time.

I remember now it was scojones (previously sjones) and also fade2black I think. Whatever happened the two of them were banned all of a sudden having been high profile mods. No explanation given to users who cared but lots of mods alluding to knowing what happened. They went on about it so much while making a big show of not disclosing the reason that it drew more attention to it than just saying why and moving on.

I remember Terry (I think he was also something like julip at some stage). He used to post drunk threads and say some strange stuff in them but he was a really good mod for AH.

Ah, but is he the hoighest earning portner?

Kpmg girl was the most talked about secret ever,like slane girl, threads popping up left right and centre and then immediately being shut down as if they never existe, it was whack a mole threads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Mods - you have my utmost respect. Imagine the chaos of threads if we didn't have the mods doing such a great job. It appears there are hundreds of ye!

Mods - you have my utmost respect. Imagine the chaos of threads if we didn't have the mods doing such a great job. It appears there are hundreds of ye!

Lick arse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I met Bubbles in person and adopted his cat. It was a bad decision in hindsight !! The thing was the devils work and had to be taken by a cat rescue because it went quite mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭fixXxer

D3V!L wrote: »
    I met Bubbles in person and adopted his cat. It was a bad decision in hindsight !! The thing was the devils work and had to be taken by a cat rescue because it went quite mad.

But if your dog went mad too, is the issue the animals? :confused:

sexmag wrote: »
    Lick arse

I've nothing really to gain my posting my thoughts, I don't post very often. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Four hundred and forty two to be precise (think that includes cmod and admins but could be wrong, so not that precise after all).

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

The treatment of the mods on this forum is frankly a disgrace. They deserve much more respect than they get. They work hard on here guarding these threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

fixxxer wrote: »
    But if your dog went mad too, is the issue the animals? :confused:

Thats a pretty low ball comment and not remotely funny. My dog is likely going for a brain scan soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,199 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

What can be done when there's a legitimate gripe about a post and it's made by a Mod on a forum they mod ?

You're screwed right ??

just report it. i believe cmods and admins can see reported posts as well. modding a particular forum doesn't exclude that mod from abiding by the forum and site rules within the forum they mod.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

The devil's work as in you terrorised the poor creature? Your username is quite telling.

just report it. i believe cmods and admins can see reported posts as well. modding a particular forum doesn't exclude that mod from abiding by the forum and site rules within the forum they mod.

I'm not sure they'd look at every reported post though. Is it help desk or feedback where you can complain about a forum or mod? (One or the other) Or maybe pm a cmod/admin to see what they'd say.

Thats a pretty low ball comment and not remotely funny. My dog is likely going for a brain scan soon.

i saw that, i hope your doggy turns out ok

By that reasoning you're an alcoholic. :rolleyes:

How did you guess that? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Then I respectfully withdraw it and wish your dog well.

Taytoland wrote: »
    The treatment of the mods on this forum is frankly a disgrace. They deserve much more respect than they get. They work hard on here guarding these threads.

They're on par with The Night's Watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

sexmag wrote: »
    Kpmg girl was the most talked about secret ever,like slane girl, threads popping up left right and centre and then immediately being shut down as if they never existe, it was whack a mole threads

What I remember being funny at the time was we weren't allowed to talk about KPMG girl's rant or indeed her very existence, but the Gangnam Style remix by Friday Projx got a free pass because it was just so damn hilarious :D

They're on par with The Night's Watch.

All b@stards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

There was mod in the boxing forum and by god he could argue about every fooking boxing result and so on. Threads were heated

Got demodded but I think he still posts over there. I like his passion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,199 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I'm not sure they'd look at every reported post though.

fair point tbh.
    Is it help desk or feedback where you can complain about a forum or mod? (One or the other) Or maybe pm a cmod/admin to see what they'd say.

complaints are dealt with in help desk. certainly pming a cmod or admin before hand is a good option, at least you will get an idea if it's worth persuing a complaint or not.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Never went rogue as such but if anyone remembers the April fools joke I pulled a few years back where I posted in the animal and pets forum that the admins had secret files on all users, that my fellow mods were all assholes and just generally gave out "secrets" of boards admins.All untrue BTW ;)

I got site banned, demodded and everything until I pointed out the date.

Kept it going for hours though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Thoughtform

Trying to get into their good books eh? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Thats a pretty low ball comment and not remotely funny.

I have a sagging scrotum and I find your low ball comment deeply offensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Thoughtform

I have a nuggety cun... ah, never mind.

I'm stifling my laughter at work! :D

Trying to get into their good books eh? ;)

Flattery will get you everywhere ;)

I have a nuggety cun... ah, never mind.

Nuggety cun sounds like a Scottish dessert...

'Ooooh, what's that?'

'Just some nuggety cun. It's ice-cream, oatmeal and suet encased in a sheep's stomach. Do you want some?'

'…'

• Advertisement
  • Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Nuggety cun sounds like a Scottish dessert...

'Ooooh, what's that?'

'Just some nuggety cun. It's ice-cream, oatmeal and suet encased in a sheep's stomach. Do you want some?'

'…'

Deep fried you mean...?

Neyite wrote: »
    Deep fried you mean...?

Not deep frying it would be like wear boxers under your kilt like a pansy Sassenach!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,275 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Ah now in fairness, it has to be expected.

Us Fenian Taigs like a bit of craic and banter

We're also not as subservient insofar as it pertains to not questioning whether our "betters" should have absolute authority over us with no choice from ourselves

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

deise08 wrote: »
    Remember when Dav broke boards for a bit? ��

I believe it was a "whatever you do Dougal, don't press this button" scenario

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Terry was a good laugh. I don't remember how he went out but he was an end of an era for After Hours anyway.
    The end of an era indeed. ;)
    I remember now it was scojones (previously sjones) and also fade2black I think. Whatever happened the two of them were banned all of a sudden having been high profile mods. No explanation given to users who cared but lots of mods alluding to knowing what happened. They went on about it so much while making a big show of not disclosing the reason that it drew more attention to it than just saying why and moving on.

I remember Terry (I think he was also something like julip at some stage). He used to post drunk threads and say some strange stuff in them but he was a really good mod for AH.
    I was fairly drunk quite a lot of the time back then. Now too.
    Terry is still around. When you mention his name three times, turn on the spot four times and click your heels five times apparently he reappears

BOOM!
    Being inspired by the apparently pissed mod on the other thread, I was wondering whether, in the history of boards, a moderator or administrator has ever gone "Colonel Kurtz" on us here
    Yes. Quite a few times, and it was funny. Well, it was funny to me anyway.
    Makikomi wrote: »
    I moderated on four different boards forum, there's not a whole lot you can do to screw the system.

You can lock, move or delete threads in your forum. Warn, infract or ban members in your forum too.

You can look through the moderators forum, but there's nothing really there.

You can check and see who's been reporting your posts before and after you're a moderator and that's about it.

Being a moderator is a pain in the hole on a quiet forum, I can't imagine what its like on AH.. Putting in hours of work for fvck all. Looking back now I must have been an idiot to work for free.

Then everything you do is questioned by some other idiot with another stupid user name, screw that.

You can't really go too rogue'ish.
    I had fun doing it. Also, any time I went to a Boards event, people would buy me pints and shots.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

jaxxx wrote: »
    WTF is a CD? :confused::confused:
    Did you ever see those round mirrors with a hole in the center ?

People used them to transfer data. At a sails pace.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/_TVfEjAyW4Fk/RkKKz0HipdI/AAAAAAAAC54/3dnz3WNDc0k/s1600/snailxi8.jpg

snailxi8.jpg

• Advertisement

Judging by the meltdown of the regulars in that thread when she got a fella I'd say there wasn't a dry pillow in any of their mothers houses.

Oh yes because she seems like such a fun person accusing white men of being toxic and potential rapists. What a catch!

She hates your typical white man so what other type of man would she actuallly consider dating in all honesty? Its either a so called white soy/woke bae or perhaps Tupac has come back from the dead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭AfterLife

Oh yes because she seems like such a fun person accusing white men of being toxic and potential rapists. What a catch!

She hates your typical white man so what other type of man would she actuallly consider dating in all honesty? Its either a so called white soy/woke bae or perhaps Tupac has come back from the dead?

Jaysus.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Zaph is the boards Pennywise, mention his name and he's sure to appear.

You never saw me here, OK?

giphy.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

where the **** does the phrase 'soy boy' come from, or wtf does it mean??

and wheres the juicy gossip?

where the **** does the phrase 'soy boy' come from, or wtf does it mean??

and wheres the juicy gossip?

Most of your 'modern' menginas are said to be partial to consuming soy products which is said to increase oestrogen levels and therefore make them more womanly at least by perception

It is proven though that women are advised not to consume soy products if they already have high levels of oestrogen

https://draxe.com/5-high-estrogen-foods-avoid/

• Advertisement
Advertisement