Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small gravel driveway patch up

Options
  • 25-07-2018 6:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi

I'm just filling in a small space (approximately only 1 cubic metre) of useless grass area on our driveway. In order to get two cars to fit. The rest of the drive is very old and cracking asphalt but we're not going to do the whole drive yet.

I've dug out the topsoil to about 7 inches (15cm).

I just want to make sure I put down the right layers so the car can drive over.

1. 804 compacted hardcore
    2. Binding? sand? Or are they the same thing? Do I need to compact this too?
    3. Crushed gravel

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sneachta2000

Hi

I'm just filling in a small space (approximately only 1 cubic metre) of useless grass area on our driveway. In order to get two cars to fit. The rest of the drive is very old and cracking asphalt but we're not going to do the whole drive yet.

I've dug out the topsoil to about 7 inches (15cm).

I just want to make sure I put down the right layers so the car can drive over.

1. 804 compacted hardcore
    2. Binding? sand? Or are they the same thing? Do I need to compact this too?
    3. Crushed gravel

Cheers

Also there was kerb around the grassy patch. I'm going to put that back in to stop the asphalt crumbling back in. Do I put down the kerb first or hardcore?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Assume you want the kerb to sit flush with the asphalt now so you're not hitting it with the car so build up the depth with hardcore until you can sit the kerb on it level with the asphalt. Haunch the kerb then with concrete so it stays against the asphalt, then backfill the rest of the way with hardcore.
    You can get a finely crushed hardcore or quartz grit to use as blinding depending on whether you're using grey pebble or coloured but seeing as it's only a small area i'd just throw the pebble straight on.
    I doubt you'd need to compact it as it's only a few inches deep so won't settle much if at all.

Advertisement