Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you sous-vide vacuum packed meat/fish?

Options
  • 25-07-2018 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

I'm seeing a lot of meat & fish being vacuum packed in supermarkets.

Can I cook/sous-vide them in their original package? Or would I need to remove the packaging and put them into another vacuum bag?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

That plastic packaging isn't designed for high temperatures. Who knows what chemicals leach into the food. I wouldn't fancy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

That plastic packaging isn't designed for high temperatures. Who knows what chemicals leach into the food. I wouldn't fancy it.
    It might or might not be. And they would only be going to about 55-65C

https://www.nisbets.ie/vacuum-pack-bags-200-x-300mm/dm881?cm_mmc=Adwords-_-612434143-_-27976708608-_-dsa-19959388920&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu_DZlKK63AIVTY0bCh2GmAb9EAAYAiAAEgJJFfD_BwE
    Suitable for freezing, refrigerating, microwave and boiling, these bags are perfect for use with all vacuum pack machines. Can be used for precision sous vide cooking.

Suitable for use with all commercial vacuum pack machines including chamber and external vacuum sealers.

Product features

Material PA (nylon)
    Temperature Range -18C to +100°C

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

If it's not specified as suitable for sous-vide or roast in the bag etc. then I wouldn't expose it to heat. Packaging is only that, unless stated otherwise. There is a risk of leaching if the packaging is not used as standard/expected.
    Packaging in a vacuum is just limiting spoilage due to exposure to air and you should repackage in suitable sous-vide bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭zbluebirdz

Thanks for the replies.

As for "cook/sous-vide" - I had meant "cooking sous-vide" (as adverb).

To be on the safe side, I won't use the original package the meat/fish comes in. I'll use the ziploc/freezer bags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

I don't think ziplock bags are suitable either, unless they state temperature range. You need to buy bags suitable for that application.

Advertisement