Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TdeF 2018, July 25, Stage 17: Bagnères-de-Luchon > Saint-Lary-Soulan Col du Portet

Options
  • 25-07-2018 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭

A thread for today.
    More content shortly...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

In the words of the legendary F1 commentator Murray Walker: "It's one light, two lights, three lights, four lights, five lights, and it's go, go, go"

From cyclingnews.com:
    Like a ship in a bottle, route designer Thierry Gouvenou has slotted three mountain passes into the space of just 65 kilometres and then pulled the string to set up the most eagerly-anticipated Tour stage in recent memory. The Montée de Peyragudes, Col de Val Louron-Azet and Col du Portet combine for a total of 38.3km of climbing and 3,126 metres of altitude gained.

The top 20 riders are arranged into a Formula 1-style grid according to their positions on general classification, and the rest of the peloton lining up in four groups based on their order in the standings. This feature seems more of a gimmick than anything else – it is certainly hard to imagine Thomas and Chris Froome tearing off ahead rather than waiting for their Sky teammates.

Cruelly, the final part of the stage is the toughest, with the hors categorie Col du Portet bringing the 2018 Tour to its highest point. The lower part of the climb above Saint-Lary Soulan will be familiar – it has featured as Pla d’Adet in Tours past, but the upper reaches are a new addition: the final kilometres leading to the summit of the climb were only paved this spring.
    The Col du Portet is 16km in length at an average gradient of 8.7%, and is, quite simply, a brute. A kilometre in, the gradient pitches to above 10% and continues in the same vein for the next four kilometres or so before the merest and briefest of respites. Midway up the climb, the gradient relaxes to 5%, but it kicks up again shortly afterwards and drags on inexorably towards the summit. The average gradients of the final three kilometres are 8.4%, 8.2% and 10.2%, respectively. There has been nothing as relentless on the 2018 Tour to this point.
    stage_17_profile_670.jpg

stage_17_map_670.jpg

etape_17_profil_particulier_monte_e_de_peyragudes_670.jpg

etape_17_profil_particulier_col_de_val_louron_azet_670.jpg

etape_17_profil_particulier_saint_lary_soulan_col_de_portet_670.jpg

456647.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Melodeon

HA!

I was wondering if someone was doing a thread, so I figured I'd throw up a placeholder while I knocked some content together and if someone else had one done they'd jump in :D

Anyhow, I expect the start today to go something like this:

Melodeon wrote: »
    HA!

I was wondering if someone was doing a thread, so I figured I'd throw up a placeholder while I knocked some content together and if someone else have one done they'd jump in :D

Yeah I was just about to post my thread and I just checked on the main page of the forum to see if anyone else had put up a thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

What time does it get going today?

Dow99 wrote: »
    What time does it get going today?

Not until 2.15pm Irish time unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The Bookies Take on Today' Stage

7FfogOs.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

NIcolas Roche was sceptical yesterday that any of the top GC guys would tear off from the start

Geraint Thomas is the first off...what does he do ?....slow down for Kwaito & Rowe ??

Maybe this is the time Quintana could go for it ?

Could suit Dan Martin....Stephen Roche won a similar stage back in the day

Roglic seems to me to be the best bet though if they race flat out

Foorme could win a stage like today but can he attack the yellow jersey who doesnt need to attack ...just follow
    Or will Froome chase down Roglic, or Quintana or Dumoulin ?? and then just keep going

Are there any time gaps between the starting groups? i.e. when the top-20 have started, is there any time delay before the next group starts?

It's a short stage, so the Time Schedule isn't too outrageously long today.
    Subtract 1 hour for Irish Time:
    456648.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Can this stage rescue a desperate Tour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Movistar have 3 in the first 20...so they should get valverde to gun it at the start to isolate the 2 sky lads from the domestiques behind.

Will he do it? Probably not. Would movistar ask for it? They are probably more concerned about the team classification the useless backstards

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Inquitus wrote: »

I am not optimistic

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Start is a gimmick I reckon. That doesn't mean that the stage couldn't go gangbusters right from the gun if lads really want to have a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Really looking forward to this stage for the novelty factor however I think Im gona be disappointed and it will be just another day of drudgery as Geraint & the bots haul Froome over mountains while the rest of the GC just suck their wheels or blow up (i:e movistar & quintana)

I don't think it's been a desperate Tour.

I am optimistic that today will be exiting

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I don't think it's been a desperate Tour.

I am optimistic that i too will be exiting after today!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Thud

Are there any time gaps between the starting groups? i.e. when the top-20 have started, is there any time delay before the next group starts?

from reading this I doubt the starting gaps will be any way significant:
    https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/tour-de-france/geraint-thomas-not-expecting-grid-start-big-impact-tour-de-france-stage-17-387938

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

It's an endurance team sport, what do you expect? Excitement? The winner usually wins by mere minutes over 3 weeks.

Team wins, individuality only matters for short bursts. And if anyone individual exceeds this they are probably cheating.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It's an endurance team sport, what do you expect? Excitement? The winner usually wins by mere minutes over 3 weeks.

Team wins, individuality only matters for short bursts. And if anyone individual exceeds this they are probably cheating.

You do realise that exciting Grand Tours happen every year?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

retalivity wrote: »
    I am optimistic that i too will be exiting after today!

D'oh! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Top ten have an advantage, and in there are two Lotto NL-Jumbo lads, and two Movistar, as well as Dumoulin and Dan Martin who don't have great support teams. It'd be great to see if they took the chance to go eyeballs out and attack to put Thomas and Froome on the backfoot.

Dumoulin and Roglic along with Kruijswijk probably have the best chance of staying away in terms of pure power, but two Cat 1s and a HC against Bernal et al is probably too far.

I do wonder if the various non-Sky top ten DSes have been plotting though...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,465 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well I'm fascinated by this stage. The grid at the start gives options before a train can be formed.
    This stage isn't one that a team can look at and form a concrete plan.
    Like if Sky tell Froome and G to hang on for their train you could have a group form and go from km 0 including a couple from Doumoulin, Roglic, Martin, Bardet, Kruijswijk, Landa and Quintana.

There is also those who might look at it and think of saving themselves for the last 20 km and try manage the time gap up to then.

Literally anything could happen today.
    Of course they could all look around at each other and before you know it the Sky train will be formed and we can all have a nap and set an alarm to see which of the two sky riders win it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Shoco83

Has anybody else's Eurosport disappeared from sky this morning?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

buffalo wrote: »
    I do wonder if the various non-Sky top ten DSes have been plotting though...

Ditch-to-ditch crash about twenty riders from the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Shoco83 wrote: »

It'd be better if Sky disappeared from Eurosport. :pac:

Shoco83 wrote: »

Nope, British Superbikes and Live Fencing on at the moment.

According to that GCN video, 43 km of the 65 km are uphill! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Shoco83

Melodeon wrote: »
    Nope, British Superbikes and Live Fencing on at the moment.

The box just changed channel by itself to one of the set up pages and when I changed it back the channels were gone! I've pulled the plug and restarted the box and they are back. Panic over!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

When you see a stage like this you've got to wonder: What would Contador do?

It would definitely be interesting whatever it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Brian? wrote: »
    You do realise that exciting Grand Tours happen every year?

Not really, I often enjoy watching it, but it's not exciting. I've watched say the giro-tour-vuelta in a mix of highlights and live depending on holidays for decades

It's intriguing for the suffering, not for the excitement, to see people smothered into breaking

Stand out performances have probably been the result of cheating

It's as exciting as Sean Kellys voice

Oh will the break away stay away today... it's cruel really

Advertisement