Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TdeF 2018, July 25, Stage 17: Bagnères-de-Luchon > Saint-Lary-Soulan Col du Portet

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

LeoD wrote: »
    Inside the time limit I believe
    Di9o4UXXoAAWVHE.jpg:large

No way he would have been disqualified anyway.

After a crash when they know he gives it his all everyday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

mloc123 wrote:
    I'd love to know what Froome has written across his handlebars... He spends so much time staring at it.

#EatStem

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

#LOOK-UP-FFS :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Time gap with regard to what's to come.

Dumoulin has turned an 11 second deficit to a 32 second advantage over Froome... a 43 second swing.

If the time gap remains the same up until Saturday, I would be far more confident now that Dumoulin will remain ahead of Froome in the GC after the ITT. Dumoulin could afford to not be at his best and maybe still come out on top because of the 32 second advantage.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Nothing suspicious as such with Thomas' career for me. Yes, he was on the track, then the classics and then the gc focus. He's progressed through the week long stage races, progressing in prestige.
    And yes, he was on course for a podium with Froome until a bad day, after doing a load of work for Froome in a similar first week to this tour.
    I feckin hate Team Sky, and I am a massive skeptic of Froome, but I really don't have the same question marks over Thomas. No more than I would over Dan, or Quintana or anyone else.

I think it's incredibly lazy to make the same comparisons to even Wiggins, never mind Froome's donkey to race horse. It basically ignores his whole career.

Nice post, I agree.

I hope Sprinter Sacre comes back with a rebuttal.
    But yeah the state of Thomas, a classics and track guy being the best climber and GC rider in the Tour. Sport is gone to the dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Dumoulin has turned an 11 second deficit to a 32 second advantage over Froome... a 43 second swing.

If the time gap remains the same up until Saturday, I would be far more confident now that Dumoulin will remain ahead of Froome in the GC after the ITT. Dumoulin could afford to not be at his best and maybe still come out on top because of the 32 second advantage.

It's Thomas, Dumoulin has to worry about now, not Froome.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

happytramp wrote: »
    I'm actually extremely disappointed Dan didn't try and win another stage. He seemed to be in very good shape. I can't really get my head around it.

He looked like he tried to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Looks like froome had a bit of trouble getting back down the hill today

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlqYeNHBDAX/?taken-by=marcvisa14

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

mloc123 wrote: »
    I'd love to know what Froome has written across his handlebars... He spends so much time staring at it.

h621FBF31

• Advertisement

Eamonnator wrote: »
    It's Thomas, Dumoulin has to worry about now, not Froome.

(I know). I was just replying to Lusk Doyle's post about Froome vs Dumoulin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Bernal looks a future winner. Cos he at sky it will be next year lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

(I know). I was just replying to Lusk Doyle's post about Froome vs Dumoulin

I was making the same point in a circular way!

"Chris Froome crashed by gendarme..."

FFS cyclingnews, learn how to speak gooder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Nice post, I agree.

I hope Sprinter Sacre comes back with a rebuttal.

Why should he?

Thomas is associated with a team with a lot of question marks so there should be some doubt there and questions need to be asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Does anyone here know how Sagan crashed?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Do the cyclists always cycle down the mountain after a stage? I always assumed they'd be bussed or whatever..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

dulpit wrote: »
    Do the cyclists always cycle down the mountain after a stage? I always assumed they'd be bussed or whatever..

Apparently any of them that are in a hurry do. Not enough room for the team coaches at the peak and it would take a car ages getting past spectators on their way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

dulpit wrote: »
    Depends on the mountain, and access. It's more common in the pyrenees than the Alps, because of all the sky resorts (and therefore space and facilities) in the Alps. Obviously also depends whether it is a pass or a road to no where like yesterday.

The roads will be closed until all riders in, as well as the spectator cars issue.

Ironically given Brailsford's giving out, the cop probably thought he was doing his best to protect riders from spectators!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

tuxy wrote: »
    Does anyone here know how Sagan crashed?
    "I crashed in a turn - in the corner I made a mistake," Sagan told a scrum of reporters at the finish. "It looked like a fast corner, but after I just went a little more right - I was braking but it wasn't enough. After I flew through the forest and I hit a big rock with my ass."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de-france-peter-sagan-certain-he-will-continue-after-stage-17-crash/

I was making the same point in a circular way!

Ah, okay.

Well if the gap between Thomas and Dumoulin is 1'59" before the ITT (i.e. they finish on the same time during Friday's final mountain stage), then I think Thomas will win with maybe one minute to spare.

Why should he?

Thomas is associated with a team with a lot of question marks so there should be some doubt there and questions need to be asked.

Don't get me wrong, I dislike Team Sky and their morals, and I think questions should definitely be asked regarding all of their riders.

But it annoys me when someone says that the 'sport is gone to the dogs' or 'cycling dies a little more every day' just because rider X is winning a race, and little justification is provided. It's lazy posting imo!

Ah, okay.

Well if the gap between Thomas and Dumoulin is 1'59" before the ITT (i.e. they finish on the same time during Friday's final mountain stage), then I think Thomas will win with maybe one minute to spare.

Those bonus seconds that Thomas has picked up along the way are proving to be very valuable indeed. A great bit of foresight there and a missed opportunity by Dumoulin. He must have gained 30 seconds in bonuses?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Thomas has 27 second bonus, where TD has 12seconds, but also a 20s penalty for drafting behind the team car in the first week

so essentially GT has a net 35s bonus on him

Those bonus seconds that Thomas has picked up along the way are proving to be very valuable indeed. A great bit of foresight there and a missed opportunity by Dumoulin. He must have gained 30 seconds in bonuses?

EDIT: Beaten to it by Boscoirl ^^^ :D

Thomas has gained 27 seconds in bonifications overall, Dumoulin has gained 12... an important 15 second advantage! The 20 second penalty for Dumoulin has also been very significant.

456723.PNG

Hadn't realised Roglic was so close to Froome now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Hadn't realised Roglic was so close to Froome now.

And is also a very handy tt'er as well...podium not out of the question yet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Don't get me wrong, I dislike Team Sky and their morals, and I think questions should definitely be asked regarding all of their riders.

But it annoys me when someone says that the 'sport is gone to the dogs' or 'cycling dies a little more every day' just because rider X is winning a race, and little justification is provided. It's lazy posting imo!
    The whole track rider to mountain goat hypothesis only works if you ignore his career in between!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Yep at the moment if I had to guess the TT GC after the ITT I'd go with Thomas, Dumo (Makes up small amount on Thomas), Roglic (Match Dumo and takes time out of Thomas and Froome), Froome (TT's slightly worse than Dumo and Roglic and around the same as Thomas),

Advertisement