Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

swapping tyre from 28c to 35c

Options
  • 25-07-2018 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

I am trying to figure out if I can put a 35C tyre on my bike. Since buying my bike I have had loads of punctures in the rear tyre, mainly from not having enough pressure in it. I do not cycle on a daily bases and the tyre pressure being 120 is a pain.

The bike has disc brakes so it seems like the only issue is the clearance around the frame. If it looks like there is over 7mm clearance should it work or would one 35c tyre be bigger than another with threads etc? Also is there an issue with the size of the inside width of the rim or should this work with a relatively small jump like this?

The bike is a Whyte Vittoria, here is a photo of the clearance

Whyte%20Victoria%20-%20stay%20stays.jpg

Any opinions?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you shouldn't need 120PSI in a 28C tyre unless (trying to put this delicately) the bike is carrying a large weight.
    schwalbe seem to recommend 110PSI in a 28C tyre if your body weight is 110KG.

are your punctures all pinch flats?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'd have to say no, it is not possible to fit those tyre on those wheels. The clearance with the frame is less the issue, more the size of the wheels.

Consider changing your tyres to something more puncture resistant. A Schwalbe Marathon Plus is pretty much indestructible. Haven't ever had a puncture riding them, and I'd reckon that amounts to 10000km or more.

EDIT: Looking here, I think it may be possible to get 32's on:

https://www.whyte.bike/victoria/

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

y(trying to put this delicately)

are your punctures all pinch flats?

:eek: Are you calling me fat??

I think the tyre says 120psi on it, I usually pumped them up to 100 as it just seemed like they would explode higher than that.. Im usually around 80kg..

Some punctures were from things going through the tyre and numerous pinch flats.

I'd have to say no, it is not possible to fit those tyre on those wheels. The clearance with the frame is less the issue, more the size of the wheels.

Consider changing your tyres to something more puncture resistant. A Schwalbe Marathon Plus is pretty much indestructible. Haven't ever had a puncture riding them, and I'd reckon that amounts to 10000km or more.

EDIT: Looking here, I think it may be possible to get 32's on:

https://www.whyte.bike/victoria/

The max tyre size on that link is blank, what are you looking at? I had actually looked it up and I was going to contact Whyte but they do not seem to have any contact info on their site..

I was actually going to get the Marathon plus tyres, i just liked the lower psi on the thicker tyre. I live in an apartment and going down to the bike with the pump is a bit of a pain. I have a motorbike so generally I cycle the odd time when im just popping out somewhere quickly and it kind of defeats the purpose to take the pump down, check the tyres, bring it back up and come back down again.. My old cheap bike which had "normal" tyres got one or two punctures in something like 6 years of daily use.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Are you sure you’re fitting the tubes and tyres correctly? No way you should be getting that many pinch flats.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

rowanh wrote: »
    The max tyre size on that link is blank, what are you looking at? I had actually looked it up and I was going to contact Whyte but they do not seem to have any contact info on their site..

I was actually going to get the Marathon plus tyres, i just liked the lower psi on the thicker tyre. I live in an apartment and going down to the bike with the pump is a bit of a pain. I have a motorbike so generally I cycle the odd time when im just popping out somewhere quickly and it kind of defeats the purpose to take the pump down, check the tyres, bring it back up and come back down again.. My old cheap bike which had "normal" tyres got one or two punctures in something like 6 years of daily use.

The picture of the bike in that link shows 700x32c tyres installed... provided I have the correct bike there.

If the tyres say to inflate to 120, then 120 is what I'd run if I were you. I would invest in better tyres, but it also sounds like there could be something wrong with your current setup. Perhaps there's a spoke poking through the rim tape, or a tiny piece of glass/debris puncturing the tyre all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

:eek: Are you calling me fat??

I think the tyre says 120psi on it, I usually pumped them up to 100 as it just seemed like they would explode higher than that.. Im usually around 80kg..
    i run 80PSI on narrower tyres (25s) and am currently 72KG, though was 80 about a year or two ago. have had one pinch flat on the current bike (in 7000km), but that was due to me not having paid attention to the tyre going a little soft.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Some punctures were from things going through the tyre and numerous pinch flats.
    I ride 120 all the time but to be honest, there is no need for it. At your weight 80 to 100 should be fine for commuting. It sounds more like they are **** tyres than anything else. Go round the tyre with a fine tooth comb to make sure there is nothing embedded in them causing repeat flats. Repeat pinch flats sounds like your not seating them properly or your not checking the tyre as you are pumping to make sure. Pinch flats should not happen at 120psi if properly fitted.

Measure the rim width and that should give you a good idea if they can hold 35s.
    Marathon Pluses are great if you want no punctures, not so great if you want comfort. Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Get yourself some All Condition Armadillo Elites in 28. Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

120psi is the absolute max pressure you can inflate that tyre to, it doesn't mean you have to.

At 80kg you have no need for anything higher than 80psi in your 28mm tyres.

I run 65psi in the rear and 55psi in the front on 28 tyres on my bike, I'm 76kg so only slightly lighter than you. Anything higher and the ride become uncomfortable and crashy, 120psi would be bone shaking IMO. At 120psi there is absolutely no give in the tyre and so rather than the tyre deforming around sharp stones etc they are forced into the rubber. Reduce your pressure down to 85/75psi and see if it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Thanks for the all the info guys, I appreciate all the responses.

Are you sure you’re fitting the tubes and tyres correctly?

I think so, i brought the bike for a service at some point with flat tyres having not used it for ages, they changed the tubes and i got a puncture, its always in the back.

The picture of the bike in that link shows 700x32c tyres installed

I have a feeling that is a compostite and they photoshopped in the wrong tyre, maybe though. Also its a much newer bike, mine is from 2012 and i think it has a different frame and wheels. The page does list 700x28c in the info.

Go round the tyre with a fine tooth comb to make sure there is nothing embedded in them causing repeat flats.

I have actually done this a couple times in the past.

Marathon Pluses are great if you want no punctures, not so great if you want comfort.

Is there any general consensus for best tyre for commuting and light leisure cycling? Comfort would be good, I would cycle to places like Howth with my girlfriend if i thought it was unlikely I would get a flat :D

Get yourself some All Condition Armadillo Elites

Dont seems to be any in 28c on amazon or ebay, where would you buy them and why are they good?

Is there any way to check what the maximum width tyre a rim will accommodate or does it vary from tyre to tyre for a given rim?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Get yourself some All Condition Armadillo Elites

Dont seems to be any in 28c on amazon or ebay, where would you buy them and why are they good?

The Specialized concept store just opened in west Dublin has em or the likes of Evans have them online.

They survive Dublin streets which are absolutely IN BITs. I've pulled chunks of glass out and kept riding.

they're certainly not universally loved, but a chap i know uses tannus tyres and reckons they're great.
    they're solid tyres so definitely not all-rounders (pun unintended)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

This, wider tyre with lower pressure is more comfortable, puncture resistant tyre is, erm, more puncture resistant. Marathon plus at the right pressure for your weight is bomb proof.

Another thing you could consider which I did for my kids bikes is to get sealant filled tubes. This means if you get a puncture roadside it self seals and you can just pump it up again to rather than having to change the puncture there and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Via this forum I was recommended Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres (two years ago), I'd frequent punctures on Maxxis Dominators.

I went with 28's, I commute year round and I couldn't fault them, they've been fantastic and would highly recommend them. I've so much confidence in them I don't carry spares for a puncture anymore.

Some people say they're a heavy tyre, but I've got them on my commuter bike so weight isn't an issue (or I wouldn't have panniers and a Brooks B17 either).

I'm 100kgs, and so far haven't even thought about going to a wider tyre as there's no discomfort issues with these 28's. My commute is 20kmX2 daily.

I've Gator Skins on my road bike, they're fine but very skittish on wet roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

As others have suggested, I would change tyres. I've used Schwalbe Durano Plus on my daily commuter for the last 3 years - 30kms round trip, all year round and yet to puncture them (of course I'll probably get one on the way home now!!)

https://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/tyres/road/product/review-schwalbe-durano-plus-11-44381/

Advertisement