Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance for bike trip abroad

Options
  • 25-07-2018 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

My travel insurance policy does not include cycling cover, where the main purpose of the trip is to go cycling. I'm doing the Raid Alps with a few club mates next month, and the tour company has asked that we specifically obtain cycling cover.

Can anyone explain to me what exactly I need the additional cycling cover for? I assume my regular travel insurance policy will cover potential issues relating to the flights and baggage. And maybe getting injured when falling off some table at 2 in the morning.

My health insurance policy provides covers for injuries etc. And I also have that Euro health insurance card.

Surely that's everything covered, apart from bike damage while on the road? Am I missing something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I'm guessing they're thinking of racing / sportives where you might sustain injury. OTOH your Cycling Ireland license includes insurance covering that style of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

I think the CI insurance might not cover cycling abroad, as it could be difficult to argue that the trip forms part of your training, and it's definitely not a CI sanctioned event.
    I still can't figure out why specific cycling cover is required for a trip abroad, where someone already has a general travel insurance policy, and a health insurance policy, and that European health card thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

outfox wrote: »
    Surely that's everything covered, apart from bike damage while on the road? Am I missing something?
    is there an issue in relation to third party coverage maybe?
    but would the organisers of the raid alps (assuming there is an organiser) cover this?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Third party liability would be the only main one. Mail CI and tell them you are going on a training trip, and just to ask is your typical CI insurance valid. It was for me but always good to have written confirmation.

Advertisement