Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Prices in supermarkets

Options
  • 25-07-2018 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

I spend a lot of time driving from supermarket to supermarket to get the best prices. If I subscribe to the supermarkets online websites can I get those prices or do I actually have to order online?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Would you not be spending what you're saving on petrol/diesel driving around for these bargains?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

fussyonion wrote: »
    Would you not be spending what you're saving on petrol/diesel driving around for these bargains?
    +1, and you should factor in a price on your own free time.
    Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    If I subscribe to the supermarkets online websites can I get those prices or do I actually have to order online?

It is usually the same price instore. In tesco there can be local offers in stores which would not show online, I am not talking about food about to go off and the yellow labels. e.g. they were changing over their "everyday value cheese" to be called "creamfields cheese" so it was all sold off at half price even though the BB date was ages away -this did not show online.

Also some alcohol offers do not appear online, as I guess they do not want some guy ordering 20 cases of heineken which they are making little or no profit on -when they really want to attract customers in to do a full shop and pick up just 1 or 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

fussyonion wrote: »

I just wondered if I could get the prices online first before I set out. Two of the supermarkets are actually within walking distance of each other. I understand its not worth driving an extra mile to save a few pennies here and there but sometimes it might be worth that mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

What are the 2 supermarkets in question?

I cycle around to shops so no real worry about cost but do not want to waste my time. There are about 3 asian supermarkets I go to. I have taken very high res photos before of shelves before so I could check prices, or just ones on my phone. One is en route to the other which I am definitely going to, so I might nip into the first an see items I want and take pics. I have a good memory for prices but if I cannot remember I cross check the phone photos and know to go back to the first again.

I know I can get most of the things cheaper in dublin city centre but it is not worth the bother, also I want to support my local asian supermarket so they do not shut down.

It annoys me that shops do not make the prices available online, I do not need fancy photos and listings, I could make do with an excel sheet which they probably have at hand themselves every single day. They could even have disclaimers. If I owned a small shop and thought I was good value with nothing to hide, I might take loads of photos or a video going about the shop, can be posted freely on facebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

If I open an online account with each supermarket, I would expect to be able to see the prices of their products. But would I have to place an order or can I just browse the prices?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,014 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Only SuperValu and Tesco have full pricing online, both require your local store to do delivery and setting up accounts to see what that stores pricing is. Huge time expenditure

Subscribe to their email newsletters to get some special offer data. Alternating shopping between them and being happy to keep higher stock at home of non perishables when on offer is the most time effective thing to do

Pay attention to things where the retail price is grossly inflated to allow for rolling offers and avoid buying at retail. Branded detergents, shampoo, shower gel, frozen pizza and ice creams for instance

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

You don’t need to create accounts to see the prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,014 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You don’t need to create accounts to see the prices.

Tesco only shows a massively cut down selection unless you log in to a specific store. SuperValu doesn't have set prices across the chain

Advertisement