Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

car choice for export, looking for some advice

• 25-07-2018 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hey everyone,

there is a reasonable chance of me moving to the caribbean late this year. Cost of cars there is huge, i have to option of importing a vehicle without paying duty.

Looking for some advice, car needs to be no older than 4 years and under 50k Km.

Im hoping to get something that will last for a long time but budget is tight(8-10k), also thinking maybe an SUV.

Car can be exported from anywhere really.

Any tips or ideas?

Im thinking the UK has cheaper cars, but i suppose i could also look further afield.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Where are you going? When I visited the USVI I was amazed at how cheap the cars were.

I think the idea of bringing a car out there is madness, forgetting shipping costs have you looked into insurance (RHD v LHD), local taxes, servicing problems, parts availability, headlight conversion, passing any local car test, etc. etc.

Save yourself a load of trouble and just get something when you are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Wilko121

barbados. should have mentioned, cars are crazy expensive there. New cars are twice the price as here and because you can only import cars under 4 years and 50k on the odometer the older the car gets the more the expensive compared to here as not everone can afford newer cars. A 20 year old Corolla for example could easily be 4,000 euro.

Id have the chance to import a car whithout having to pay the duty that makes em so pricey.

Makes sense to go for something decent but on a budget, price ways a Dacia seems good but id be concerned they would stand up to much usage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Spend 8k on a sub 4 year old sub 50k km desirable motorbike, sell it over there for a decent profit and buy a 20 year old corolla for 4k euro.. Then sell it in a few years for 4k euro again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I'd buy in Ireland.
    And choose something which has high vrt value, so you could claim it back.
    Ideally something which is valued high on vrt calculator and has high co2 emissions, but can be got cheap here due to lack of demand for such cars in ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭selectamatic

CiniO wrote: »
    I'd buy in Ireland.
    And choose something which has high vrt value, so you could claim it back.
    Ideally something which is valued high on vrt calculator and has high co2 emissions, but can be got cheap here due to lack of demand for such cars in ireland.

Very few if any sub 4 year old cars meet that criteria in Ireland though.

Op you'd get some sort of a sub 4 year old car car in America for around $15k the 50k km could be the tricky part though. shipping from there would surely be much cheaper too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Barbados - Fill a container with Toyota minivans they love them. The place is tiny and there's buses and taxis everywhere cheap as chips, I wonder would you survive without a car, nobody goes near the east coast, just up and down the west coast.
    Maybe buy something cheap out there or a bicycle. I hope you like chicken, beer and blunts : )

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Wilko121

Yip beer and chicken is the plan.

I only get to import one car duty free unfortunatly, and I have to keep it for 5 years or I have to pay import duty.

Seen a Dacia Duster for £7,000GPB and a Nissan Qashqai for i think £9 or £10,000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Do you think you'll be there for 5yrs. Have you been there it's pretty small.
    I'd just buy something there that won't be standing you a whole lot that's cheap to run and easy fix. Presume there'll be plenty in work coming up as people are moving on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Google says that the Toyota Aqua is the most popular car over there which is based on the Prius. There are a few JDM ones for sale here but not within your budget.

Advertisement