Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eamonn Dunphy leaving RTE ,the end of an era

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

About fúckin time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭McGrath5

He might want to focus more on his podcast, which in fairness is very good.

I always thought he had a lot more to offer than just been trying to be controversial for the sake of it on RTE.

Edit: would help if I read his statement :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭Guffy

Thamk fűck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Esse85

Wes Houlihans transfer value has plummeted as a result of this news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,579 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

People will slag him but Giles and Dunphy at their height were the most passionate and entertaining pundits/analysts on the box.

When they first came on RTE they brought a totally different dimension of how to look at a game and combined with Bill O'Herlihy were on a completely different level to what RTE had before and way ahead of British TV that had Jimmy Hill and Terry Venables as pundits.

There were some great moments with Eamonn such as Saipan, Ronaldo, Souness and Rod Liddle that were great entertainment and you just wouldn't get anywhere else.

RTE won't be the same now and I hope they can do something to not drop to the same level of Britsh vanilla coverage and blandness that's on offer now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

He's forgotten all he knew and like your dad and music simply had no real idea of the new acts who have come on the scene in the last decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,661 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Somehow I don’t think he’ll be missed and remembered as fondly as Bill was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,579 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

CSF wrote: »
    Somehow I don’t think he’ll be missed and remembered as fondly as Bill was.

Apres Match will definitely miss him. They're in trouble now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It would be entirely appropriate for Apres Match to riff on Eamos Greatest Hits while the rest of us switch over to something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Will Brady move on now as well I wonder.

Might be a good time to for RTE to overhaul and take Hamilton off the air as well he had a terrible World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Esse85 wrote: »
    Wes Houlihans transfer value has plummeted as a result of this news.

Not to mention Andy Reid.

This announcement is about 30 years too late. From 'Platini is norr a great player' to 'show pony' Ronaldo, through the Andy Reid and Wessi years there was clearly nothing that he could get so wrong that would in any way embarrass the idiot.

Hopefully our next international manager will be able to get his feet under the table without being told he is betraying Real Irish Football People. How Dunphy got away with repeating the same schtick for nigh on 40 years is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

His greatest contribution to the panel was his rant the night he threw Rod Liddle under the bus. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

RTE will probably replace him with an ex female footballer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

MD1990 wrote: »

If you saw Dunphy playing, you would realise that is replacing like with like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Times been up for a good while but it was some craic at times. Nothing to do with football but just some fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I rarely had much respect for what he said - but still always wanted to know what he had to say.

It'll be duller without him! But I'm sure RTE will find another **** stirrer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I can't believe someone as argumentative, controversial and outspoken as Dunphy, with a fondness for appearing on air after a few drinks, has left RTE voluntarily. I always assumed he'd be sacked at some point after another bizarre episode.

Anyway, from rows with Jack to love ins with Roy in a Cameroon suit,, men having sex on the BBC and staying alive for 63 years baby, it's the end of an era. He's not the most astute or informed pundit, but he's a character and he's good entertainment. I'll miss him

MD1990 wrote: »

Ex female? Exciting!

Pre or post op?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

Dunphy to Sky to replace Thierry Henry.

Make it happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

Dunphy on Sky Sports would be hilarious... Sky would end up getting tons of complaints and end up sacking him though.

It is the end of an era though and it will be sad to see him go. Dunphy often livened up a dead RTE panel and made it entertaining. I dread the boredom that RTE is going to inflict on us in the future now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

just threw my pen across the desk in honour of the man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Good riddance. Clueless about football, ridiculous WUM who loved the sound of his voice and was dying to get a dig in at people he held a grudge against. Fair play to him for making a living out of it.

Hopefully that'll free up a spot for someone who actually knows something about football and has more in their locker than just the nonsense he churned out over the years.

Also glad that this will see the end of the "How is Dunphy still on the air?" comments that seem to clog up so many Ireland threads.

Good riddance. Clueless about football, ridiculous WUM who loved the sound of his voice and was dying to get a dig in at people he held a grudge against. Fair play to him for making a living out of it.

Hopefully that'll free up a spot for someone who actually knows something about football and has more in their locker than just the nonsense he churned out over the years.

You make it sound like they've created room for an Arsene Wenger type who can articulately analysis games, tactical systems etc, when in reality it's just cleared the way for another expro with tenuous links to Ireland, a limited vocabulary and less character capable of churning out the usual cliches and superlatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭josip

Deise Vu wrote: »
    If you saw Dunphy playing, you would realise that is replacing like with like.

Not fair, there are many female footballers able to pass the ball forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Okon wrote:
    Dunphy on Sky Sports would be hilarious... Sky would end up getting tons of complaints and end up sacking him though.

I'd love....welcome to ITV tonight I'm joined by Roy Keane, Martin O'Neill & Eamon Dunphy.

ERG89 wrote: »
    I'd love....welcome to ITV tonight I'm joined by Roy Keane, Martin O'Neill & Eamon Dunphy.

Needs more Niall Quinn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Needs more Niall Quinn

"Nial Quinn is a creep"...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

LiamoSail wrote: »
    You make it sound like they've created room for an Arsene Wenger type who can articulately analysis games, tactical systems etc...
    They could very well do that if they got their house in order, not that I'll hold my breath.
    ...when in reality it's just cleared the way for another expro with tenuous links to Ireland, a limited vocabulary and less character capable of churning out the usual cliches and superlatives.
    If we need someone with 'character' to make up for their lack of knowledge and insight then it really does indicate why RTE had him on the telly for so long, not that I begrudge them that. It is clear that Dunphy was great for business and was always capable of coming up with some nonsense that'd grab the headlines.

Unfortunately, if RTE feel like that's the only way they can get viewers then they don't have much faith in their ability to attract better pundits, don't think the public deserve it or are just not interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

I'm gonna miss him anyway. Looking back on the old clips, Himself , brady, giles and the hosting by Bill - it made for great TV.
    There's enough over analysis going on in the game so to watch Dunphy go off on one and talk like the man on the street is/was a welcome relief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

He's a rubbish football pundit. He hasn't a notion what he's talking about most of the time and as much as he portrays himself as the fun lovin' Éamon, he doesn't like being called up on his nonsense one bit.

A pretty good interviewer away from RTÉ.

Okon wrote: »

The thing about Dunphy is, as much as he portrays himself as a rebel, he only says the rubbish he does because he knows well he can get away with it on RTÉ. He'd be another nodding head dog on Sky, without question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Arghus wrote: »
    He's a rubbish football pundit. He hasn't a notion what he's talking about most of the time and as much as he portrays himself as the fun lovin' Éamon, he doesn't like being called up on his nonsense one bit.

simply not true - played international football for Ireland - wrote one of the best books on football - only a game - so he most certainly knows what he is talking about - as long as he is not tired & Emotional - always enjoyed watching him , though he has tired lately , his punditry will be sorely missed , particularly of a golden time in Irish football. When you hear great players like Richard Dunne and Damian Duff trying (unsuccessfully) to do it , you realise ther is a skill to analysis. I will most definitly miss him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

For better or worse,he will certainly be missed. The guy was more entertaining than many Ireland matches over the years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Equium

Sign James Richardson up now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Have to say I won't miss him when he's gone.
    Personally, I feel as though he ripped the fun out of any game I ever watched, even genuinely good matches got brought down to a penny-size because of both him and Brady's analysis. Throughout the World Cup, when it was half time I muted the TV, and when it was over I turned the telly off. They just sucked the fun out of every match I ever watched with them on it.
    No match is ever exciting enough. No player played well enough. No referee had as good a game.
    Real glass half-empty pundits in my eyes.

thebaz wrote: »
    simply not true - played international football for Ireland - wrote one of the best books on football - only a game - so he most certainly knows what he is talking about - as long as he is not tired & Emotional - always enjoyed watching him , though he has tired lately , his punditry will be sorely missed , particularly of a golden time in Irish football. When you hear great players like Richard Dunne and Damian Duff trying (unsuccessfully) to do it , you realise ther is a skill to analysis. I will most definitly miss him.

Perhaps I phrased that a bit inelegantly, an "inexatitude".

Dunphy does have knowledge about the game, but it's mainly from his own era. But his knowledge of players and teams from the modern day is patchy at best and non-existent at worst.

He'll often make snap judgements on players, teams or managers based on maybe one half of a match he's watched and he makes loads of factual error and bogus predictions - loads. Whenever he speaks about non-English players or teams it's car crash stuff. Getting players names wrong, mixing up players, falsely claiming such and such thing or score happened, making grand pronouncements about the game without much research... He is a crap football pundit.

I could forgive him that if he didn't express his snap judgements with utter conviction and then get haughty about it if someone challenges him on his baseless opinions. Look at how himself and Kenny Cunningham got on. Now Kenny is a bit odd himself, but he definitely knows his modern football and he clearly knew Dunphy didn't so was well ready to stand up to him and challenge him - and Dunphy took that very badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

He’ll be missed for entertainment value, definitely not for insight or knowledge of the game. I’d rather listen to himself, Brady and Giles for the rapport and bit of craic than anything else out there.

Giles is a very knowledgable man on the game just woefully out of touch with the modern players.

I do enjoy Dunphy’s podcast, the live World Cup special was very entertaining. They clearly spent some time in the bar before recording, Didi Hamann was in good spirits :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

28 years I’ve watched him on RTE covering every international tournament and the Irish qualifiers . I’ll miss him. His emotional style and worldly feel for the beautiful game was unique. Sometimes overboard or facts completely wrong but more often than not on the button.
    As recently as after the England Colombia game I think it was he gave a great post match sum up of what the World Cup means to countries. The one bit of analysis that will stay with me from the tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Look at how himself and Kenny Cunningham got on. Now Kenny is a bit odd himself, but he definitely knows his modern football and he clearly knew Dunphy didn't so was well ready to stand up to him and challenge him - and Dunphy took that very badly.

lets agree to disagree - but I would say Eamon won that argument - I actually quite like Kennys punditry - I like pundits to have personailty and Eamon had that in spades - as I said and you say he has become a bit tired the past few years - but as an Irish fan I just loved his pundirty with Giles in that Golden era - sure, it riled a few people but , it was great TV for the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

He’s been some craic in fairness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think he lost his zest in recent years, especially after Bill left. He was brilliant when Ireland lost badly, he really helped vent the disappointed and anger at times. I think he got the public mood very wrong at times. Complaining after a great win or a valiant loss against a big team. The majority of the time he got the public emotion right.

He's probably bowing out a little bit too late. I don't think he was as effective over recent times. The entertainment he provided during the 00s was amazing television, almost as good as the football itself. But I think they got a little bit drunk on that success.

I still get the lolz from the Rod Liddle moment. I was watching live and to say it was out of the blue is an understatement :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

Some classics.
    Rod liddle. Pretty sure I watched that one live.
    Jap Stam. “Everyone else is wrong”

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

He'd be another nodding head dog on Sky, without question.

I dunno, I really can't see Dunphy as a nodding head dog on any channel... he's way too old to change his ways now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Well RTE have a potential replacement raring to go

Apres1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I’d guess he lost passion for the game a long time ago.

There’s only so long anyone with an iota of sense can retain passion for the Irish team when the governing body is as clueless, aimless and corrupt as it is.

He has been spoofing for a long time in fairness, but he used to take things seriously until he probably realised things were never going to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Dunphy and his moron counterpart Brolly are the reason I no longer bother with any RTE commentary or so called "analysis". I'll switch on before the game, come halftime the sound gets muted, when the final whistle goes I switch off.

There is a place for good analysts, I like hearing opinions whether I agree with them or not. But Dunphy and his ilk are just an embarrassment and I do wonder about anybody that seriously finds them entertaining.

The "Mrs Browns boys" of punditry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Whatever your feelings on him, it was always entertaining when he was on the air.

To be left with Duff and especially Sadlier makes me weep a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

For better or worse,he will certainly be missed. The guy was more entertaining than many Ireland matches over the years

Sometimes the only reason I'd turn the tv on for Latvia v Ireland etc. was to hear the half-time analysis from Dunphy and co.

Most football pundits are largely clueless and boring. At least Dunphy was entertaining, although he should have "Ronaldo is not a great player and will never be a great player" carved on his tombstone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement