Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrician for Refitting control board and rewiring electric gates

Options
  • 25-07-2018 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Having trouble finding somebody who can take a look at our electric gates, liftmaster the manufacturer.

The control board stopped working and we bought a replacement yesterday but we need somebody to refit the board and rewire them to the gates and maybe check the wiring from the board to the gates for any faults.

Anybody have somebody or company in mind who can do this?

Located in Dublin!

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

OP, it might be an idea to say where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 PattonJ

2011 wrote: »
    OP, it might be an idea to say where you are.

Oops, just edited it there. Thanks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭Jennehy

You will need to get a licensed contractor to work on the electrical gates. Not referring to an Rec in this case but a PSA one.

https://www.psa.gov.ie/en/PSA/PSA%2060%20Access%20Gates.pdf/Files/PSA%2060%20Access%20Gates.pdf

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Jennehy wrote: »
    You will need to get a licensed contractor to work on the electrical gates. Not referring to an Rec in this case but a PSA one.

https://www.psa.gov.ie/en/PSA/PSA%2060%20Access%20Gates.pdf/Files/PSA%2060%20Access%20Gates.pdf

Incorrect.
    A PSA licensed contractor is only required if the gates are installed for security reasons not if the gates are required for convince or keeping livestock out. When using mains voltage I would recommend using a qualified electrician that is a registered electrical contractor.

Convince or life stock use? Link to that.

• Advertisement

Convince or life stock use? Link to that.

From this link:
    The Private Security Authority (PSA) is the statutory body with responsibility for licensing and regulating the private security industry in Ireland.

I have put the important part in bold. Any works that are unrelated to security can be carried out by persons that do not have a PSA license. Gates installed for convince or keeping livestock out are merely examples of why someone would want to install electric gates other than security.

Example of electric gates installed for security reasons: The gates on the British embassy in the picture below. A PSA licensed installer would be required in this case:
    screen-shot-2010-10-01-at-10-39-39.png

Example of electric gates that it could be argued are not installed for security reasons: The electric gates in this picture are not difficult to climb over / open / bypass. Therefore a PSA licensed installer is not required.

AzA%201550.jpg?zoom=1.5&resize=475%2C356

It is the same for CCTV. For example if a farmer wants to install a camera so that he can watch a cow in calf it could hardly be described as a security camera, as such can be installed by a non-PSA registered installer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,099 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

2011 wrote: »
    Incorrect.
    A PSA licensed contractor is only required if the gates are installed for security reasons not if the gates are required for convince or keeping livestock out. When using mains voltage I would recommend using a qualified electrician that is a registered electrical contractor.

I agree with you but the PSA keep banging out radio ads implying otherwise. If I didn't know any better I'd think that they are deliberately trying to mislead the public. :(

Every home owner installs gates for security. I’m not convinced with above post 2011.

Every home owner installs gates for security. I’m not convinced with above post 2011.

Can these gates really be described as secure?

AzA%201550.jpg?zoom=1.5&resize=475%2C356

The example you are using wouldn’t be types here in Ireland. A lot of gates need a key to manual open them so yes they would be secure.

• Advertisement

A lot of gates need a key to manual open them so yes they would be secure.

Yes, FAAC electric gates which are very popular in Ireland need a key like this to operate the manual override:

faac-triangular-release-key-713002.jpg

See video:

So it is inaccurate to say that "Every home owner installs gates for security."

The gates we used fit have a unique key to its own gate. We agree to disagree I feel.
    I wouldn’t want to be in court arguing with a judge of a case where someone died from getting crushed by an electric gate and not being a psa installer. Not sure how a judge would entertain me saying they were installed for convince.

The gates we used fit have a unique key to its own gate.

I don’t doubt you but that doesn’t mean that “Every home owner installs gates for security“ as you stated in post #9.

My point is that some are and some aren’t.
    I wouldn’t want to be in court arguing with a judge of a case where someone died from getting crushed by an electric gate and not being a psa installer.

Many PSA installers have no experience or training in installing electric gates.
    In ireland there is no requirement for any qualification to install electric gates nor is this a prerequisite to PSA membership.

What special qualification do you think is required?
    How long does it take to obtain?
    Who recognizes it?

Domestic electric gates use small single phase motors that provide very little torque compared to the power of large 3 phase motors that many electricians install on a regular basis.
    Not sure how a judge would entertain me saying they were installed for convince.

It would be far more difficult to prove otherwise.

Advertisement