Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10 Optimising

Options
  • 25-07-2018 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭

I've started taking a look at optimising my system a bit lately. Installed a new faster SSD and did some performance testing afterwards (well, ran userbenchmark.com). Which told me my CPU and RAM were underperforming. I realised then that I had the two sticks in slot A1 + A2 so it was running in single channel mode... gg.

It did mention my graphics card (a 1060 6gb) was underperforming so still trying to figure that one out. I do notice frame dropping where I wouldn't expect it so it might be the case.

Anyway, read another article on Phoronix that mentioned this tool: W10Privacy.

Any other avenues to look at? What about the Spectre and meltdown patches? I'd rather disable them to be honest.

Anything I can do to help Nvidia graphics in particular? I have Gefore Experience installed but I think I read that was a drain as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Removing windows patches is really not recommended. They are considered serious vulnerabilities for a reason :)

Could you post your full spec here? Hard to pin down a bottleneck otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I don't mean uninstalling the patches, there are tools to disable some of them like this one: https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm
    i5-6600 Quad Core 3.3 Ghz
    G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series F4-2400C15D-16GVR 16 GB (8 GBx2) DDR4 2400 MHz C15 1.2 V
    MSI Z170-A PRO motherboard
    Palit Geforce 1060 6gb

The performance I get is OK mostly, I run at 1080p. I play mostly Overwatch, PUBG and Rocket League. Obviously, PUBG FPS is not amazing. I'd get as low as ~35 FPS at times on lowest settings but most of the time it's higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I can't say what but something definitely sounds odd there. I'm in a 6600k though rarely under lock it and a 970 and rarely ever struggle to get 60fps on 1080 ultra (maybe with aa and sync off, I'm on a projector so it makes very little if any difference). If anything you should probably be marginally outperforming me I would think.

That's in PUBG? That doesn't right for me so :|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Ah, sorry - that would be generally speaking, pubg nearly put me in a coma when I tested it out a copy on a friend's Xbox. :p

RL and OW you should definitely be hitting 60 at the very least, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

What about temp of cpu/gpu? It was pretty "hot" recently maybe the temps were too high and both were thermal throttling.
    Download HWinfo and do stress test to check temp/frequency of cpu/gpu.
    What about software? Have You installed anything new recently?

This isn't really a recent thing. I don't really have a huge amount installed outside of the software I use for working/hobbies.

I will check the temperature and run a stress test later though.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Use Cinebench and Heaven to test your perf and manually check it against comparable setups.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Star Swarm stress test is a nice way to stress your system, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Anima wrote: »
    Anyway, read another article on Phoronix that mentioned this tool: W10Privacy.

I did this, ****ed up a load of little things that annoyed me so I reversed it. I can't think of many examples but I use night mode to dim the screen at sunset but that gets disabled if you block location services because it doesn't know the current sunset time in your location. There were parts of search that stopped working too. I like the weather app for the live tile too and that won't change automatically if location services are blocked. Had some trouble with updates too and I like the notifications for things like email and discord and whatsapp but I have them disabled while in full screen but if you block windows services from knowing you're in full screen you'll get notifications and updates while in full screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

That user benchmark looks flaky as hell.
    Apparently my CPU is way underpowerforming by about 5% while my GPU gets 154% =outstanding (2% over average) and apparently its underperforming as well??
    SSD is fine but memory is lagging a bit so according to this site out of 100 PCs with the same exact config as mine 67 of them run faster.
    I call bull**** on that as they asked for my exact graphics model as well afterwards so not a like for like.
    Overclocking is not being taken heed of which is what I suspect is really happening.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Use a monitor such as Taks Manager
    and/or Perfmon to figure out where your bottleneck is before uninstalling or changing anything. No point tweaking GPU performance if the problem isn't the GPU or messing about with Windows updates if they're not actually causing the issue. Not a games player, but one common source of performance problems I've seen a lot of is in security software, where you need to set up real-time scanning and firewall exclusions for commonly used trusted applications. Not that when looking at CPU performance, if you see a figure like 25%, this is often a single thread maxing out one core, so CPU clock speed is an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Anima wrote: »
    The performance I get is OK mostly, I run at 1080p. I play mostly Overwatch, PUBG and Rocket League. Obviously, PUBG FPS is not amazing. I'd get as low as ~35 FPS at times on lowest settings but most of the time it's higher.

You should be getting closer to 100 fps in PUBG. I've a Ryzen 5 1600 and a GTX 970 and my FPS varies between 99 and 144. Of course at times it tanks due to the game being completely broken (sometimes going as low as 50 fps). But if you're seeing 35 regularly, then something might be up.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Billy86 wrote: »
    I can't say what but something definitely sounds odd there. I'm in a 6600k though rarely under lock it and a 970 and rarely ever struggle to get 60fps on 1080 ultra (maybe with aa and sync off, I'm on a projector so it makes very little if any difference). If anything you should probably be marginally outperforming me I would think.

Ultrawide on a projector? 2560x1080?

Advertisement