Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letting agent not helping with sewage problem

Options
  • 25-07-2018 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Hi any help would be appreciated. I live in a mid terrace house(owner occupied).The last house in the terrace is rented.In their garden there is a main sewer drain which the block of houses feed into.For the last few days there has been a blockage in that drain causing a backup of sewage into everybody else's drain.When the neighbours confronted the tenants about this they said it wasn't their problem it was up to the management company.We then got in touch with the management company who was quite rude and uncooperative. All we wanted was to split the bill for the drainage company.I have got quite angry with this so I went onto the ptrb website and the house is not on their register.

My question is this would it be worthwhile reporting this to the ptrb.Its not about the money it's about the attitutude this management company has.Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Would it not be quicker to report it to Irish Water and get them to chase the owner?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭madmax72

Del2005 wrote: »
    Would it not be quicker to report it to Irish Water and get them to chase the owner?

Rang irishwater and they said that becuse the main sewer drain cover is on private property its not their problem.So then went to environmental health in the council and they said the same but tried to mediate between the neighbours and the management company. The management company then agreed to the environmental health to pay thair share but when we got in touch with them they refused again.
    So now the neighbours have to pay for the drains to be cleaned once we got permission off the tenents to enter their garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Why not report the situation to the RTB under the antisocial behaviour rules? The RTB will probably investigate the fact that it is not registered. You may also be awarded compensation for the antisocial behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

madmax72 wrote: »
    Hi any help would be appreciated. I live in a mid terrace house(owner occupied).The last house in the terrace is rented.In their garden there is a main sewer drain which the block of houses feed into.For the last few days there has been a blockage in that drain causing a backup of sewage into everybody else's drain.When the neighbours confronted the tenants about this they said it wasn't their problem it was up to the management company.We then got in touch with the management company who was quite rude and uncooperative. All we wanted was to split the bill for the drainage company.I have got quite angry with this so I went onto the ptrb website and the house is not on their register.

My question is this would it be worthwhile reporting this to the ptrb.Its not about the money it's about the attitutude this management company has.Thanks in advance

Yes, report them, please!

Maybe try EPA also as this is contamination on which they are very committed. Also council Environmental Health need to know,,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Had to do this previously. Was the end house I paid for the drains to be cleaned. Contacted all neighbours stated the drain was blocker etc . Heres the receipt. Gave details of my bank account and how much it was divided amount the houses. N.B this was a drain shared by all and my house was empty for a year prior to this arrising. .. anyhow.. not one replied or contributed. Roll on a year or two neighbour wants to enter my garden as their was a problem with their drain. ... . Ans ... NO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

madmax72 wrote: »
    Rang irishwater and they said that becuse the main sewer drain cover is on private property its not their problem.So then went to environmental health in the council and they said the same but tried to mediate between the neighbours and the management company. The management company then agreed to the environmental health to pay thair share but when we got in touch with them they refused again.
    So now the neighbours have to pay for the drains to be cleaned once we got permission off the tenents to enter their garden.

What a country. Sewage blocked and its no one's problem. Definitely repot to the RTB but its stupid that the RTB is the only escalation for companies ignoring pollution.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It’s a shared drain neighbours go splits, what’s the issue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭madmax72

ted1 wrote: »
    It’s a shared drain neighbours go splits, what’s the issue ?

We got no money off the rented house(management company)

Advertisement