Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Penny's footwear?

• 25-07-2018 5:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭

I was in Penny's today and I could not help but notice the amount of footwear that have - literally every kind..
    Personally I only buy good quality footwear - something my Mum drilled into us - and my feet need to be able to breathe - i recall buying a pair of pumps in Dunnes once and my feet were not able to breathe at all in them..

So my Q is, do people find Penny's shoes good? Support wise, breathability? Or are they just a disposable piece of footwear..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I can’t speak for the ladies range but more recently the men’s range have been really quite good. It used to be that Penney’s shoes would look cheap and nasty and fall apart but I have a a pair of formal monkstraps I got over a year ago that I wear fairly regularly and they look and feel great. Likewise a pair of winter boots. Those ones held up over last winter really well, including a trip to the Nordic countries in December!

I look after my shoes though, polish and condition them
    Fairly regularly, use shoe trees in my formal
    Shoes etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I think they're a bit hit and miss.
    I've a pair of boots about 10 years that I love and get re-heeled every winter. They were €20 and I remember considering them expensive for pennys at the time!
    But I'm very severe on shoes and often get 'good' shoes re-heeled too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

As Addle has said, they are very hit and miss.

I've two pairs of knee high boots that I got in Penneys donkey's years ago for like a tenner a pair. I've gotten so much wear out of them and spent more on re-heeling them than the boots actually cost me!

I've gotten a few pairs of heeled sandals and court shoes over the years and found that they just aren't that comfortable. Their shoes look nice on the shelf but I have to remind myself that I probably can't walk in them.

Flats are ok, no support in them though.

In short - IMO you get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭linpoo

I don't find them good quality personally. I bought a pair of river island sandals for around €50 and have got 3 summers out of them and they're so comfy where as penneys sandals would be gone in the bin after a couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Bought a pair of sandals there that were ok for the beach for one summer, but looked tatty after that. As someone else pointed out- I find their flats have no support at all on the insoles which makes then uncomfortable for anything more than light casual wear.

The smell of fake leather and cheap man made materials and glues used in them gives me a headache and makes my eyes red when I walk into their shoe section. :(
    No new leather smell as you would in a good shoe shop.

I'm on a lower fixed income at the moment but shoes are one thing I pay more for. I've snagged new or nearly new good quality Italian, British and German made leather soled shoes on Ebay for between €30 and €100 that would retail new for €150-300.

Makes no sense to me to buy poorly made shoes that use inferior materials, makes my feet sweat and don't have the same level of comfort from Penny's just to save €10 or €20. I save my money for one good pair rather than buying 2 cheap pairs that will likely fall apart after one season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Stellasmurf

It’s been mostly hit for me. I have some boots that I have going on two years now, and a pair of wedge sandals that have been mistaken for Clark’s for 3 years. Very comfortable too. I would be surprised if a lot of the shoes they sell are not made in the same factories as a lot of the higher priced high street stores. Unless you’re splashing out on Birkenstocks, sandals have a similar quality to others I’ve paid twice for. They also seem to be selling more and more real leather shoes. In saying that, I believe in paying for good shoes I would be wearing daily and you know will offer good support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I think Uterque and Other Stories offer good value on high street. Anything cheaper and you are buying shoes that might be ok and might not be great (Mango is good example). My feet swell quickly so I have to be careful about composition. I only bought three pairs of shoes in Penny's, two pairs of flats which were absolutely awful and a pair of high heeled mules which I really like. There is no point to even attempt to wear them standing the whole evening but if I wear them to the office they are grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭sporina

a variety of replies - i guess people have different requirements footwear wise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I was very thrilled this summer to find not one, but two pairs of shoes in Penneys that I can actually get on my feet: sandals, and a light town flat shoe.

Said feet are extremely wide, abnormally so. Often there is no shoe in a shoe-shop that will even go on.
    Most of the classic Wide ranges aren't really wide. Fit-flops are good, but very expensive and not suited to all occasions.

Penney's Wide-fit range are a true godsend: usually I wouldn't approve of disposable fashions in plastic, but this is the first wide-fit range I've found for a long time that actually fits and looks pretty. AND cheap! Still celebrating, and plan to keep these as long as possible!

Advertisement