Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

antietam1 wrote: »
    Just 12 missing from Treviso?

Zebre have picked their internationals for tomorrow night's game, the Treviso side is going to be strong..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Would love to see young Scott Penny get a few minutes while the internationals are away, he'll be right up there competing for a spot soon enough
      [*]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Would love to see young Scott Penny get a few minutes while the internationals are away, he'll be right up there competing for a spot soon enough
        [*]

It's scary how good he is given he was playing SCT 6 months ago.

His size might hold him back a small bit. He's not tiny, but he's the smallest back row in the squad. Having said that he's still bigger than the likes of Cloete who I really rate.

I'd like to see him get some minutes in a throwaway game. Kings at home... or maybe Wasps away :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Any team rumours/predictions? Are we expecting to see a number of internationals released considering the Connacht and Ulster squads included a fair few?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

His size might hold him back a small bit. He's not tiny, but he's the smallest back row in the squad. Having said that he's still bigger than the likes of Cloete who I really rate.

I've seen this mentioned a few times now. What size is he? VDF is hardly a big unit. Cloete is pretty short and I've no doubt it hinders his selection.

• Advertisement

Any team rumours/predictions? Are we expecting to see a number of internationals released considering the Connacht and Ulster squads included a fair few?

Listening to Lancaster's Presser it seems like we'll have a decent team this week and basically the "A" team against the Kings..

I think our internationals who wont be travelling to Chicago are all maxed out on minutes. Munster are probably the same. I don't think we will see anyone except SOB and possible Jack Mc

With that in mind:

Jack Mc B Byrne Bent
        Molony Fardy
        Deegan Doris SOB
        JGP Reid
        Daly ROL
        A Byrne Frawley Tomane
        Kelleher E Byrne Abdalaze Nagle Kearney McCarthy COB Kelly

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Jordan Larmour has been nominated for the World Rugby Breakthrough Player of the Year. The other nominees are Aphiwe Dyantyi and Karl Tu'inukuafe.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/international-rugby/irelands-jordan-larmour-nominated-for-world-rugby-breakthrough-player-of-the-year-37461496.html

Buer wrote: »
        I've seen this mentioned a few times now. What size is he? VDF is hardly a big unit. Cloete is pretty short and I've no doubt it hinders his selection.

Apparently he's 5'9" and 100kgs (small bit generous looking at him tbh)

VDF is 6'1" and 104kgs

Cloete is 5'9" and 105kgs

I don't think his size will hold him back necessarily. But I wonder what impact it will have.

Max Kearney was involved in sub academy but was too undersized

If he's only 5'9", it will almost certainly have an impact on his game and how he progresses unless he's absolutely exceptional.

At that height, it severely limits his ability at the line out (jumping and liftig) and ability to put on significantly more weight. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they ask him to practice some line out throwing....

• Advertisement
      • Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Buer wrote: »
        If he's only 5'9", it will almost certainly have an impact on his game and how he progresses unless he's absolutely exceptional.

At that height, it severely limits his ability at the line out (jumping and liftig) and ability to put on significantly more weight. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they ask him to practice some line out throwing....

The Bulls tried to do the exact same thing with Stander.

troyzer wrote: »
        The Bulls tried to do the exact same thing with Stander.

It's not unheard of. Strauss was a back row player too at the beginning of his professional career. Stander backed himself though and, in fairness, he's a good bit bigger than 5'9".

Strauss is pretty much the same size as Penny though, if the 5'9" is accurate. It's going to be very hard for him to make the most of his ability at that size.

Similar style to Hooper,  his talent and dynamism in the contact area and ruck area more than make up for what he lacks as a lineout option , one of the most impressive talents I've seen in a while

In reality with these new tackle laws being so prevalent being 5'9 could prove to be an advantage

nearly pick him solely for the ability of winning penalties from being high tackled lol

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Munster sending out a completely loaded team for their game bar Carbery.

15. Rob Kearney (201)
        14. Adam Byrne (39)
        13. Rory O’Loughlin (46)
        12. Robbie Henshaw (30)
        11. Joe Tomane (7)
        10. Ross Byrne (55)
        9. Jamison Gibson-Park (56)
        1. Jack McGrath (136)
        2. James Tracy (73)
        3. Tadhg Furlong (90)
        4. Scott Fardy (27)
        5. James Ryan (20)
        6. Seán O’Brien (120) CAPTAIN
        7. Dan Leavy (56)
        8. Max Deegan (25)

16. Bryan Byrne (28)
        17. Ed Byrne (26)
        18. Andrew Porter (37)
        19. Ross Molony (67)
        20. Rhys Ruddock (148)
        21. Hugh O’Sullivan (1)
        22. Noel Reid (103)
        23. Conor O’Brien (3)

Extremely strong team for Treviso. Toner, Ringrose, Larmour, Luke McGrath, Sexton, Healy, Cronin, VDF and Lowe resting up. Everyone else involved.

Interesting to see Hugh O'Sullivan get the nod for the bench spot ahead of Nick McCarthy. Time to start blooding him properly, I guess.

I think our internationals who wont be travelling to Chicago are all maxed out on minutes. Munster are probably the same. I don't think we will see anyone except SOB and possible Jack Mc

With that in mind:

Jack Mc B Byrne Bent
        Molony Fardy
        Deegan Doris SOB
        JGP Reid
        Daly ROL
        A Byrne Frawley Tomane
        Kelleher E Byrne Abdalaze Nagle Kearney McCarthy COB Kelly

Nailed it

Very strong side even with half our first team being rested.

Nice to see that Adam Byrne is still alive too.

• Advertisement
      • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 416 ✭✭Thermoman12

I'd like to see him get some minutes in a throwaway game. Kings at home... or maybe Wasps away :pac:

Never really seemed to impress at SCT level

Never really seemed to impress at SCT level

Wonder was it the Michaels team that was the issue. Seemed to be a weaker vintage than previous years.

Pity he only has one year at under 20s. I think he will carve it up there

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

LOL

Leinster gone from -8 to -15 after both teams named...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

sydthebeat wrote: »
        LOL

Leinster gone from -8 to -15 after both teams named...

Sounds about right. This has gone from a potential trap game to a comfortable win.

Sounds about right. This has gone from a potential trap game to a comfortable win.

Treviso rested all their Internationals and Zebre played theirs... strange one..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

scott1974 wrote: »
        Treviso rested all their Internationals and Zebre played theirs... strange one..

Their starting XV is almost a who's who of "who!?". They've a couple of starters in there and a few on the bench, but this should be a straight forward enough job for Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

Nailed it

:pac:

• Administrators Posts: 53,800 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Leinster 50+ points.

molloyjh wrote: »
        Their starting XV is almost a who's who of "who!?". They've a couple of starters in there and a few on the bench, but this should be a straight forward enough job for Leinster.

It kinda makes you wonder when are Leinster going to rest guys?

• Advertisement
      • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

scott1974 wrote: »
        It kinda makes you wonder when are Leinster going to rest guys?

They have been resting guys, just never all at once.

This discussion has been closed.
      Advertisement